Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2019, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #46

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
That happened to my K-5, which has multiple issues now. I also damaged the 2x TC, as well as the camera, but it seems like my 500mm Mirror Lens was not damaged. I've been relying solely on the K-1 since that time, and I go back and forth about replacing the K-5 with an APS-C, or investing in FF and divesting myself of the DA lenses I have.
My K5 seems to be ok. The lens now has a nice flat spotted filter ring and a sticky spot in the focus throw. I guess the bright side is it is one of the least expensive lens I have to replace if I mess it up trying to unbend the ring. I go back and forth on going FF and just can’t justify it for me as a hobbyist. I already have a tough time choosing gear for the day. I know people love the K1 and I’m sure I would too but most lens I have are aps-c and I don’t want to start over.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. This is a photo forum and not dear Abby ;-)

07-30-2019, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #47
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
My K5 seems to be ok. The lens now has a nice flat spotted filter ring and a sticky spot in the focus throw. I guess the bright side is it is one of the least expensive lens I have to replace if I mess it up trying to unbend the ring. I go back and forth on going FF and just can’t justify it for me as a hobbyist. I already have a tough time choosing gear for the day. I know people love the K1 and I’m sure I would too but most lens I have are aps-c and I don’t want to start over.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. This is a photo forum and not dear Abby ;-)
It's completely ok to go thru feelings. After all K1 is an expensive camera and it takes some time to accept inevitable.

EDIT: Just get a second copy of M50/1.7. They are so cheap and good. Just been shooting my July with it and it is amazing lens. Especially in full frame. Best fifty in M series.
07-30-2019, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Thanks! <beer>
I wonder if this challenge will help or worsen my developing LBA...
Both.

Glad to have you on board!

---------- Post added 07-30-19 at 11:41 AM ----------

I'm changing my mind on my August lens. While in Pittsburgh, I found a Super-Tak 1.4/50 (in "well-loved" shape; i.e., not pristine), serial #1655386 - which makes it one of the coveted 8-element early models. Gonna give it a good testing.
07-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
...While in Pittsburgh, I found a Super-Tak 1.4/50 serial #1655386 - which makes it one of the coveted 8-element early models.
I hope you're right, but you might find this old thread useful. It contains lots of contradictions but the favoured identifier seems to be having the red IR marker located between the red diamond and the f4 marker.

07-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
EDIT: Just get a second copy of M50/1.7. They are so cheap and good. Just been shooting my July with it and it is amazing lens. Especially in full frame. Best fifty in M series.
That will probably be my route but I’ve put the K5 in DA* mode with grip and L Bracket. I’m putting the legacy stuff away for awhile.

Just say a K1 in the marketplace today for $1100. It was tempting but not tempting enough.
07-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I hope you're right, but you might find this old thread useful. It contains lots of contradictions but the favoured identifier seems to be having the red IR marker located between the red diamond and the f4 marker.
I stand corrected. This is most likely the 7-element version by serial number (barely!); by the location of the IR marker; and by the part number printed on the back side of the stop-down switch. The latest known 8-element has a serial number of 1650141, according to this page.

It does, however, have a protruding rear element at infinity focus, which is supposed to be a sign of the 8-element, as well as A/M markings near the stop-down switch, rather than AUTO/MANUAL...but I think this is just wishful thinking on my part. Thoughts, anyone, from someone more experienced than me on this? I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Ah well - still a worthy lens, and I paid about market price ($60 USD). I'll call that a win. Still going to be my August lens.

Last edited by babywriter; 07-30-2019 at 09:11 PM.
07-31-2019, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Maybe it is time to start thinking about a lens for August

07-31-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

I browsed through my 'random lens a day' album and remembered I regretted not having a lot of time the day I shot with the SMC Pentax-A 50mm 1:1.4. So that will be my August lens. It is still sitting on my desk, instead of on it's shelf, so I probably had the thought of using it some mere then too.
07-31-2019, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

I started to join the SiC in June with a FA Macro 100 f3.5 but chickened out. I actually shot about 3/4 of the month but never did join in. I did the same thing in July. Shot about 1/2 to 3/4 of the month with the same lens but again chickened out. I'm considering August with again the FA Macro 100 f3.5. I haven't done the SiC with that lens so it's tempting. On the other hand August has the Perseid meteor shower and there's a huge car show here in August and I have a Super Takumar 28mm f3.5 that would be good for those two events. I also see several people are using a 50mm. I have an A50 1.4 and an Super Tak M50 1.4 and it's interesting to see the comparison of similar lenses. What to do...what to do....
08-01-2019, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Well after a month of close up shots with the 100mm Macro, I thought I would try a more traditional month, the K1 with the workhorse HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR, I liked the focal length on full frame film, so I guess this should be the same with digital. Hopefully an easy lens to work with this month.
08-01-2019, 02:36 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The SDM of my new DA*50-135 is behaving like its days are numbered, so it won't be going to Alaska - more likely Melbourne or Japan....
So I'm out. See you in the spring
08-01-2019, 03:04 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The SDM of my new DA*50-135 is behaving like its days are numbered, so it won't be going to Alaska - more likely Melbourne or Japan....
So I'm out. See you in the spring
Bugger, let's hope for a quick recovery
08-01-2019, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #58

Just back from a week and a bit in Swansea for my youngest sons graduation (Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering - yes, he is a rocket scientist!). I took far too many pictures and haven't been through them all yet, but the colours from the Miranda 28-70mm lens are wonderful. Moving up the range this month with a Tamron Adaptall 2 70-150mm
08-01-2019, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I stand corrected. This is most likely the 7-element version by serial number (barely!); by the location of the IR marker; and by the part number printed on the back side of the stop-down switch. The latest known 8-element has a serial number of 1650141, according to this page.

It does, however, have a protruding rear element at infinity focus, which is supposed to be a sign of the 8-element, as well as A/M markings near the stop-down switch, rather than AUTO/MANUAL...but I think this is just wishful thinking on my part. Thoughts, anyone, from someone more experienced than me on this? I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Ah well - still a worthy lens, and I paid about market price ($60 USD). I'll call that a win. Still going to be my August lens.
Very much a worthy lens and definitely still a win. I'm sure you'll have a rewarding month. Enjoy.
08-01-2019, 04:08 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
See you in the spring
Spring in the Northern Hemisphere , or the Southern?

Time to dust off the FA-77nn, it's been too long.