Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 134 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2019, 04:58 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The SDM of my new DA*50-135 is behaving like its days are numbered, so it won't be going to Alaska - more likely Melbourne or Japan....
So I'm out. See you in the spring
Time for a screw drive conversion. I did my 16-50 and 300 when the SDM went caput. Super easy if you can manage notepad :-)
My 50-135 was the first lens I ever bought for my K10D when it was new and strangely the SDM is till working on that one(Knock on wood)

08-01-2019, 05:34 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zubzubadoodle Quote
Just back from a week and a bit in Swansea for my youngest sons graduation (Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering - yes, he is a rocket scientist!). I took far too many pictures and haven't been through them all yet, but the colours from the Miranda 28-70mm lens are wonderful. Moving up the range this month with a Tamron Adaptall 2 70-150mm
I walked the dogs recently past all the graduates outside Brangwyn Hall. (I live not too far from there, perhaps a 10 minute drive). Congratulations to him!
Looking forward to your pictures! Where else did you visit?
08-01-2019, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I walked the dogs recently past all the graduates outside Brangwyn Hall. (I live not too far from there, perhaps a 10 minute drive). Congratulations to him!
Looking forward to your pictures! Where else did you visit?
Symonds Yat and Goodrich Castle (on the way down), Worms Head and Rhossili Bay, Whiteford Sands and lighthouse, the four waterfalls walk near Pontneddfechan, RSPB Cwm Clydach nature reserve, Raglan Castle. We went up the Meridian tower for the view (and a few beers of course). we walked so much that I am now 2" shorter. It was fun to use the GPS on the K1 and seeing where we walked on Google Earth. A really good week, and very hot.
08-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Well, 1 day left before restarting SIC in August and I have done something I have never done before. I dropped my camera. The M 50 f1.7 is now damaged. What the heck? I’ll still participate but need to pick another lens.

Bugger!

That’s what sodded up my K-30’s metering. Bonus of this month’s lens: it’s completely manual, so I have to do all the metering anyway xP

08-01-2019, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Time for a screw drive conversion.
Not when it's still under warranty
08-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #66

Oh, you are correct there. Here’s to a speedy SDM recovery.
08-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had my DA*50-135 for a number of years and use it from time to time. It's SDM system usually requires 'waking up' prior to use. I try to do this every month or so. Given that at times I'm temped to get it converted to screw drive, I've always been happy that it wakes up and works as intended after a bit. It's been in this state for years now. I wonder if that is what your experiencing Sandy.

08-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was *very* flakey on day one Tim. I did the usual waking up things (this isn't my first rodeo with SDM lenses ) but it would sometimes work OK, or glacially, or not all. I might persist for a few days for the challenge, but I won't trust it for an overseas trip.
08-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was *very* flakey on day one Tim. I did the usual waking up things (this isn't my first rodeo with SDM lenses ) but it would sometimes work OK, or glacially, or not all. I might persist for a few days for the challenge, but I won't trust it for an overseas trip.
Totally understand, says he who's K-1II bricked half way through my Euro trip.
08-01-2019, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

News Flash! My "new" K 200/2.5 arrived from India today. Glass looks *mint* despite a tiny resident spider.

Would anyone be offended if I re-booted a day late with a different lens?
08-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
News Flash! My "new" K 200/2.5 arrived from India today. Glass looks *mint* despite a tiny resident spider.

Not in the slightest. I for one would be super-glad
08-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #72
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Not at all. Welcome back.

And hope the warranty covers the other lens without fighting.
08-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

Highly offended that a spider crept through border security, an early lens substitution works for me
08-01-2019, 11:55 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still make no promises that I'll take it Alaska. Maybe I could shoot at least one image a day with the DFA150-450 at 200mm while I am away to keep the single focal length going at least....
08-02-2019, 02:46 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alaska!, I still haven't been there,. enjoy your trip.