Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2019, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
PP Challenge #303 - Old Pack Horse Bridge

Welcome to Post Processing Challenge #303!

I will let this run for a little over a week so you have until the evening of Sunday 4th August to submit your entries (I will close the contest Monday 5 August AM, UK time).

I thought I would take us to the Highlands of Scotland in springtime - Old Pack Horse Bridge in Carrbridge - this is the oldest stone bridge in the Highlands. Taken with a K-1 D-FA 15-30.

I have provided three exposure bracketed files here so you can HDR to your heart's content (if you like), or just use one image.

No rules - do whatever you want as many times as you want.

Download IMPG4016
Download IMPG4017
Download IMPG4018

JPG Preview with shadow recovery - taken from IMPG4017

Enjoy!
John

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

07-26-2019, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

07-27-2019, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Fantastic shot. Merged all 3 files together for a base to work from, a small crop in from the left edge and had a play with the colours. Cloned out the roof from the back right and brought some of the trees across from the left to balance the skyline with the tighter crop, and lastly a bit of film grain for good measure.

Name:  IMGP4016 - IMGP4018_fused 3.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  389.4 KB
07-27-2019, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
just went with a straight forward hdr using all three..

07-28-2019, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neat scene! I find blending images to be a challenge and this one was certainly that. Looking at it now, I'm not sure I couldn't have done a better job with a single image in ACR, but I got some practice in...

By the way, is the forum downsizing images or something? I sized this to 1,000 pixels high and it looks half that size when viewed at 100% in my browser, and the other pics above seem smaller than I would expect. In another browser (Firefox) my pic appears a little larger but still smaller than normal.

Edit: That was weird, I typed my "by the way" and when I submitted it my pic now appears closer to 100%.
Attached Images

Last edited by JHfwp; 07-28-2019 at 01:30 PM.
07-30-2019, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #6

After getting Lr since yesterday, yet i need lot to discover...
Still didn't do it so bad i guess

Single shot 4017
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-02-2019, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
08-02-2019, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

08-02-2019, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I tried some different appraoches, amore painted one and an old photo effect. A nice image to player-er- work with!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some great entries there.

I’ll close the contest here - results later!

John
08-05-2019, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the entries, I really hope you enjoyed working on the image. Not the easiest image to work with! Boring 'middle of the day' lighting, mixed colour temperatures and little tonal separation between the bridge and other elements made this a deceptively tricky one I think. I would definitely rather that I had applied some CPL and ND filters here while shooting (Didn't have time to do this on the day because they are such a pain on the 15-30!).

As usual there was a range of entries all pulling different interesting things out from the RAWs.

Glenn5995 - A lovely vibrant take. Love the rocks and the water here.
graeme83 - Really a perfect crop and I like the moody tones.
todd - love the colours here, vibrant structure and a striking take.
JHfwp - love this take, I can really feel that it is springtime in this take with beautiful subtle colours, the closest to how it looked on the day.
Tomzohh - Nice take and I hope you are enjoying LR. Love the sunlight on the bridge and the water.
noelcmn (1) - Great closer crop that really concentrates on the most interesting part of the image well
noelcmn (2) - Vintage, filmic tones that switch the mood of the image in an interesting direction
tuggie (1) - very restrained and can feel the painted tones here
tuggie (2) - absolutely a lovely sepia tone vintage take, with a perfect choice of vignette and border edge

As for the winner, as always it comes slightly down to personal choice. For me it is VERY hard to choose between Glenn5995, JHfwp, todd and tuggie (2) here.

After some careful deliberation I will have to fo with JHfwp's entry on account of how well the subtle spring colours and pale sunlight have been rendered. Very true to life, and just the right amount of saturation and structure to evoke springtime.

Well done and thanks again to all the entrants!

Finally, as is traditional, here's my own takes on the images. As too often, a bit too much contrast and structure from me I think (I just might have another go )

JohnC
08-05-2019, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Well done JHfwp, an excellent image, and thanks to John for hosting, an interesting subject.
08-05-2019, 04:31 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations JHfwp! Thank you johnc for hosting and the image to work with. I looked up the history of the bridge, quite interesting. Thank you.
08-05-2019, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well that's a surprise! Thank you johnC for an inspiring image and for taking the time to comment on everyone's entries. I enjoyed them all and like your color version as much as any of the entries, to tell you the truth!

I'm going to need a few evenings to scrounge up an image for the next one and might not be able to get to it until Thursday or early Friday (I really didn't expect the honor of hosting the next one), so if anyone has one ready to go or doesn't want to wait a few days please feel free to take the reins and I'll reciprocate at a later date.
08-08-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your patience.

Post-Processing Challenge #304 is now live and can be found here.