Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post-Processing Challenge #304 - Grand Canyon Panorama

Welcome to Post-Processing Challenge #304

For this week's challenge you must assemble the shots to make a pano. Or you may elect to use a single image. Or use two images. Whatever your heart desires!

Since this is a bit more involved than working with a single image, I'll close this one to new entries Saturday evening, August 17th EDT.

Enter as many versions as you like. Have fun!!!

Image A

Image B

Image C

Image D

Image E

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Attached Images

Last edited by JHfwp; 08-08-2019 at 08:30 PM.
08-08-2019, 09:19 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ahhhh....Lipan Point! Definitely one of my favorite spots at the canyon!

08-09-2019, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #3

Well my second work at PS... I did want the colors so soft and natural as possible.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-09-2019, 08:47 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

08-10-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, my turn.

Color.

Sepia.

Color and sepia blended.

08-11-2019, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's mine
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing like making a guy feel incredibly homesick...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
4 Days Ago   #8

My Memorys

November 2017

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-5  Photo 
4 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rifellner Quote
November 2017
Welcome to the forum, rifellner. Those are very nice photos, and it's a a great first post, but if you look carefully you'll see this is a contest to post-process the images shared in this thread's first post. You're more than welcome to participate, but please remove your images and work with those provided. For a more appropriate forum to share your photos, try Post Your Photos! or search for an appropriate thread in this forum.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi rifellner! Welcome to the forum.

As JHfwp pointed out, this is a thread for a continuing challenge to work on, develop and discuss post processing skills, using a provided image.

Here is a thread for posting photographs taken at Grand Canyon:

The Purely Pentax Grand Canyon Tribute - PentaxForums.com
3 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

17 Hours Ago - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That does it for this week's challenge. Thank you all for participating.

I'm a sucker for a wonderful Grand Canyon image. This one, as most are well aware, isn't wonderful. But I still found it fun to take in the details at 100% and hope those of you that worked on it did as well.

A few thoughts on the each of your entries, followed by my pick for the winner and lucky host of the next contest.

Glenn5995 (Color Entry) - A very pleasing and very natural take. Great job bringing up the shadows while still retaining detail in the sky above the canyon.

Tomzohh – You expertly brought out detail and color contrast in the canyon. It appears you added a bit of sky to the image, putting an emphasis on the light and the sun beams. Nice work. Particularly for your second attempt in PS!

Glenn5995 (B&W Entry) – You cropped away a bit more of the sky and the bright but not so interesting foreground rocks, putting an emphasis on the river and inviting the viewer to peruse the image’s many nooks and crannies. The added contrast and sharpening suits this black & white image well.

Racer X 69 – You presented three entries: a richly saturated color version, a sepia toned B&W, and a combination of the two. It was technically a cold February day when these images were taken (as evidenced by the white patch of melting snow at the bottom of the picture), but the added warmth from the sepia toning looks and feels entirely appropriate in your color/sepia blend and is my favorite of your three versions.

tuggie76 - You presented a very striking and saturated version, almost reminiscent of Velvia 50. You cropped away some of the lower canyon and river, drawing the viewer's attention to the sunlit walls. Nice work!

photocles - Everything from retaining the detail in the sky's highlights (props for dealing with the vignetting as well as, or maybe better than, anyone) to bringing up the canyon's shadows, was done very tastefully without feeling overdone.

Arizona Dave - Superb work. The strong contrasting canyon walls make for a delightful image, and the sharpening/compression/resizing looks great on my monitor. I could stare at your version for quite a while!

And now for the really hard part . . .

It was very close, but the first runner up is: Arizona Dave.

And the winner is: Glenn5995's black and white entry.

Congratulations Glenn! You put the setting sun on the back burner, so to speak, but you made the canyon shine. Well done!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
13 Hours Ago - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
Thank you all for participating.
Thanks for hosting with a great image(s)! it was great to work with the panorama.

Congratulations Glenn! I have to say that your B&W take on JHfwp's image is quite striking.