Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PP Challenge #305

Welcome to Challenge #305! I shot this image in brackets, so I will provide the three brackets. You may use any single file or combination of files for your entry.

This challenge will close the evening of Friday August 30.

DNG A

DNG B

DNG C

JPEG Preview:

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

08-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice one, Glenn!

Is this northern Arizona? It's a beautiful spot.
08-23-2019, 10:35 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What a gorgeous autumn image. Looks like it could be the Mogollon Rim or Lockett Meadow.

This is the very first time I've ever used the HDR merge function inside Affinity Photo. Now I'm wondering why I haven't used it before!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
Nice one, Glenn!

Is this northern Arizona? It's a beautiful spot.
QuoteOriginally posted by photocles Quote
What a gorgeous autumn image. Looks like it could be the Mogollon Rim or Lockett Meadow.

This is the very first time I've ever used the HDR merge function inside Affinity Photo. Now I'm wondering why I haven't used it before!
Thank you,

You have good eyes, indeed this was taken along the Inner Basin Trail, which starts in Lockett Meadow, just north of Flagstaff.

08-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
Thank you,

You have good eyes, indeed this was taken along the Inner Basin Trail, which starts in Lockett Meadow, just north of Flagstaff.
Thanks Glenn. I hope to make it there someday.
08-25-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is my attempt. Only minor adjustments after the HDR merge in Photoshop.

08-26-2019, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #7

Had a few tries on the HDR picture but didn't got the result i really wanted, so i only took the B version and adjusted that one. 3rd attempt and getting to learn PS a whole lot better trough these challenges. Well comments are always welcome

Last edited by Tomzohh; 03-16-2020 at 11:39 AM.
08-26-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
08-28-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Been a while.... glad to see the PP Challenges still at it!
Dang.... that rock was heavy
Attached Images

08-30-2019, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I guess its time to wrap this challenge up.

I want to thank each of you who participated. This was a high contrast image, which lends itself to using HDR, but that also creates some challenges. One challenge is keeping the bark of the Aspen trees white. Another is avoiding halos.

There were 5 entries. Surprisingly, no one presented a black and white.

First a few comments:

photocles - You have one of the brighter images, which lends itself to focusing on the sun burst in the image. You managed to avoid introducing any significant halos. Nicely done.

Racer X 69 - I love the sharpening and detail of your entry and the vibrant yellow of the leaves. You did lose the white of the trunks and introduced halos around the leaves and sky, a very common problem with HDR. Well done.

Tomzohh - Glad to have you continuing with the post processing challenges. A nice well balanced image. Perhaps a slight yellow shift to the tree trunks, but overall a nice image.

noelcmn - You did some cleaning up, removing the rock and fallen tree in the foreground. You have perhaps the darkest processing, retaining the depth of the shadows, but enough detail to draw the viewer's attention to the forest floor, up the trunks to the sun burst and then the bright sky. A good image.

astonm - Good to have you back! While noelcmn removed the rock in the foreground, you chose to dig it up and move it closer to the trees. You also chose to maintain the depth of the shadows. As is common with HDR, there is some haloing between the leaves and sky, still a very nice entry.

Choosing the next host is never easy, but I must. I will pass the baton for #306 to photocles. I think you did the best at keeping the tree trunks white and the details of the leaves contrasted to the sky. Well done.

Since no one tried B&W, I thought I would give it a shot:

08-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for giving us a such a great image to work with Glenn! All of the entries were really lovely and each has a bit of a personalized feel.

I'll aim to get the next PP Challenge up and running tomorrow.
09-01-2019, 04:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Hello Everybody,

PP Challenge #306 is now live!

PP Challenge #306 - Badlands - PentaxForums.com
09-02-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for hosting Glenn with a very nice image. I did take a pass at it last week but didn't like the result below well enough and was going to try again but then wasn't able to get back to it...