Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2019, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my Bee shot hit Explore, nice surprise to find as I savor my first cup of coffee.

09-10-2019, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
my Bee shot hit Explore, nice surprise to find as I savor my first cup of coffee.
Congratulations on explore. I see Larry Mc also had an explore with his sunset beach shot, go SIC
09-10-2019, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I does seem that SIC helps gain Explores, but I'll leave it to a more analytically minded Pentaxian to prove it.

I booked my flight for Boston this evening. Really, I am only arriving and departing from Boston, I'm actually visiting friends on Cape Cod, though I did leave some room in the schedule for a day in the city, maybe even a night game at Fenway before I depart. I love Boston and the Cape, I called it home for 5 years, but now 7 years have passed since I last visited.

Too bad the reality of the expense of living there dampens my reverie and makes me appreciate where I now call home all the more. Still I am thankful I can travel.
09-14-2019, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not much shooting this week, and what I did take was not worth processing or uploading. I think I need to re-evaluate my technique. Slow down, think about what I'm doing, be patient, try different settings, and really stop being lazy.
This time next week I'll be aloft and winging my way to Boston and Cape Cod, , I need to prep the "to-go" kit, and clean my lenses. I intend to make the most of my time there, I have some ambitious ideas to stage, and some places I really want to capture requiring rising early in the AM.
Fortunately my friends understand that I'll be chasing the light most of the day, so they give me a house key, and tell me what time they are having dinner, so a day's hiking and shooting end up with good meals, a few drinks and a lot of laughter. I can't wait!

I will comment on the great shots you all have posted, but I'm probably done for the month after Monday morning.

09-15-2019, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Not much shooting this week, and what I did take was not worth processing or uploading. I think I need to re-evaluate my technique. Slow down, think about what I'm doing, be patient, try different settings, and really stop being lazy.
This time next week I'll be aloft and winging my way to Boston and Cape Cod, , I need to prep the "to-go" kit, and clean my lenses. I intend to make the most of my time there, I have some ambitious ideas to stage, and some places I really want to capture requiring rising early in the AM.
Fortunately my friends understand that I'll be chasing the light most of the day, so they give me a house key, and tell me what time they are having dinner, so a day's hiking and shooting end up with good meals, a few drinks and a lot of laughter. I can't wait!

I will comment on the great shots you all have posted, but I'm probably done for the month after Monday morning.

Sounds a good trip - enjoy!
09-15-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Busy weekend away, my football team played finals again and lost, despite my cheering efforts. Lots of travelling and no computer access so will be posting the shots later tonight. Always fun to take the camera on a road trip.
09-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Sounds a good trip - enjoy!
Thank you, I will!

09-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Does anyone see the exif on the images I've posted to the SiC? The tags I add in Lightroom and the exif aren't showing on the Flickr page. If I tag an image after uploading to flickr that tag shows up but the date and the lens info isn't there. If I try to comment on someone else's image I click on the image on the SiC page, that takes me to the image but the comments don't show. (It shows the number of comments already left but those comments don't show.) I have to then click on "back to photostream". Then the screen freezes and I have to reload the page. After clicking on the reload button, it takes me to the member's photostream and then I can click on the image and everything seems normal. Until I go to another image and repeat the whole process. Is anyone else having any problems like that?
09-15-2019, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #69

Photos: Albums
Working in Bulgaria this week. I've brought the K-S1, but may not have much time to take photos.
09-16-2019, 02:06 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Single In - September 2019

So. This is super-weird.

I know the metering on my K-30 is beggared, ever since it dropped off my Black Rapid strap and went ka-BLAM on the road. This, though, puzzles me greatly:

These two photos were taken three seconds apart, with the exact same settings (1/160, f4.5, ISO 1600). Both were RAW, and I’ve not done anything to either of them other than saved them straight out of Lightroom Mobile.

Total weirdness - and no, the sun didn’t suddenly come out or anything

Addit: having processed them now, to get them to the same brightness required almost two stops of exposure up on the first (1.83, to be precise-ish)
09-16-2019, 02:30 AM   #71
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

So. This is super-weird.

I know the metering on my K-30 is beggared, ever since it dropped off my Black Rapid strap and went ka-BLAM on the road. This, though, puzzles me greatly:

These two photos were taken three seconds apart, with the exact same settings (1/160, f4.5, ISO 1600). Both were RAW, and I’ve not done anything to either of them other than saved them straight out of Lightroom Mobile.
Maybe first steps of aperture block failure?
09-16-2019, 02:31 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Single In - September 2019

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Maybe first steps of aperture block failure?

What’s that then? #confused

Edit: ah - read a bit. Still not super-clear, but kind of got it. That would suggest that the darker photo wasn’t really f4.5 then, yesno? More like f8 (considering how much exposure compensations was needed in post) because the camera hadn’t managed to open it up.

I’ll go and have a good look at the background/bokeh etc

Edit 2: That’s gotta be it, alright. The lighter (second) photo has smooth circle bokeh; the first and darker photo has hexagons, and a generally less-smooth look to the bokeh.

Last edited by Tsuken; 09-16-2019 at 02:59 AM.
09-16-2019, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #73
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

What’s that then? #confused

Edit: ah - read a bit. Still not super-clear, but kind of got it. That would suggest that the darker photo wasn’t really f4.5 then, yesno? More like f8 (considering how much exposure compensations was needed in post) because the camera hadn’t managed to open it up.

I’ll go and have a good look at the background/bokeh etc

Edit 2: That’s gotta be it, alright. The lighter (second) photo has smooth circle bokeh; the first and darker photo has hexagons, and a generally less-smooth look to the bokeh.
More typically problem is noticed when first or couple shots are totally black. For awhile it will work so that you take few warm up shots to get camera going, but eventually the aperture stops working. Unfortunally just a matter of time, so you better start to prepare for the future.

K-30 will continue to work with lenses where you can set aperture from the ring. I still got mine and use it occasionally. Mine got the ABF 3 or 4 years ago. My plan was to go on with K30 and manual lenses to minimize the cost needed to keep camera running. My plan backfired a bit and I ended up hoarding lenses, upgrading software, shooting daily and acquiring several newer bodies. Simple upgrade would've been a lot cheaper

There is also a repair option and it's not even expensive if you do it yourself, but I suggest leaving K30 as manual body and upgrade something nice for yourself. It's always fun. K3, K70, KP or K1 depending on how much you can spend.
09-16-2019, 03:51 AM   #74
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
More typically problem is noticed when first or couple shots are totally black. For awhile it will work so that you take few warm up shots to get camera going, but eventually the aperture stops working. Unfortunally just a matter of time, so you better start to prepare for the future.

K-30 will continue to work with lenses where you can set aperture from the ring. I still got mine and use it occasionally. Mine got the ABF 3 or 4 years ago. My plan was to go on with K30 and manual lenses to minimize the cost needed to keep camera running. My plan backfired a bit and I ended up hoarding lenses, upgrading software, shooting daily and acquiring several newer bodies. Simple upgrade would've been a lot cheaper

There is also a repair option and it's not even expensive if you do it yourself, but I suggest leaving K30 as manual body and upgrade something nice for yourself. It's always fun. K3, K70, KP or K1 depending on how much you can spend.

that was my plan also, when and if my K50 developed the aperture block issue - it developed a different electronic glitch, so I gave it away and replaced it with another K-3.... and have since added a K-5 IIs as my manual/M42 body...
09-16-2019, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

Struggling a little to 'get up and go' with the camera the past couple of days. I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of it tonight, if the (albeit light) rain lets up a little.