Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2019, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
PP Challenge #308 - Mount Rainier

Thanks again for picking me in the last round

I guess the USGS is now calling it "one of our Nation's most dangerous volcanoes" - I say this dear old friend is still beautiful as all get out. Here's a shot of Mount Rainier taken near Harts Lake about a month ago. They are putting a new housing development out in the woods, and this is pretty much the view from the main road that leads in.

Enjoy - and have some fun with it.
Let's give this round a full week and call it quits on Tuesday the 24th

DNG Download link: PPChallenge #308 Mt Rainier

Preview pic:

(been a while since I've done this, let me know if I'm forgetting something!!) ~~Laurie

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

09-16-2019, 08:08 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

09-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I've been on Mt Rainer and Mt Hood. Near the top of Mt Hood there was a sulfur-like smell and there were large boulders with no snow on them that were warm to the touch. These dormant volcanoes are ticking time bombs.
09-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful photo.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-17-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #5

That nice work Todd for a not so inspiring original image. You got the best out of it I think . I like the hints in the foreground and tints in the background approach. Also the crop is about perfect.
09-17-2019, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Here goes...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panorama is on the brains

09-19-2019, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

09-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

That shot of The Mountain definitely comes out better in monochrome. Yes, it counts as the country’s most dangerous volcano, because it has a historic record of massive debris flows that have filled river valleys all the way to Puget Sound and the Columbia River. Valleys currently occupied by large numbers of humans... It’s not an eruption that creates the hazards here, it’s a mountain built of crumbly rock and covered with massive quantities of ice and water...
09-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I've been on Mt Rainer and Mt Hood. Near the top of Mt Hood there was a sulfur-like smell and there were large boulders with no snow on them that were warm to the touch. These dormant volcanoes are ticking time bombs.
Yep! There are also active fumaroles not far off one of the main runs at Mt. Hood Meadows ski area. Sometimes skiing by, I would catch a whiff and remember those who died a few years back at Mammoth Mountain in a fumarole incident.

Steve
09-21-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

09-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for participating. My first take on this photo was almost an "abstract" of all the separate "layers" - from the road, on up to the sky. Both in color, and textures. Problem was.. it did make for quite a busy photo, and took a bit of focus away from the mountain itself. It was fun to see what you guys did with the pic.

Here we go:

*todd - very nice, clean b&w render - you got rid of a lot of all the fuss, and kept it all about the mountain.
*mariwalt - i like the way the foreground is darkened up, and you got the main focus on the foothills and the mountain itself.
*photocles - you were able to keep most of those"layers" in a great b & w, while still drawing it all to the mountain. very nice.
*noelcmn - very similar view of todd's b&w - but i like the color - it kept the extra "layered effect" without overwhelming things.
*Glenn5995 - so crisp I can hear it snap! - very nice. Your b&w found a great way to keep the layers with all of that wonderful texture going on - and you took it even further with that sky. ( which was admittedly a bit blah - Rainier is famous for it's
lenticulars, and if we ever have a sky like that, the weather is in trouble around here! hahah)
*ismaelg - another wonderful b&w - getting that focus just right on the mountain looks so very nice. the moon is a very nice touch too. It added a little extra "something" to that empty space.

So ---- As always, nice job EVERYONE. But - "in the end, there can be only one" - so I'm going to go with my initial feel on the photo and give this round to:

@Glenn5995 as the Winner for embracing those "layers" - with ismaelg as the runner up for a beautiful job of isolating the mountain so well.

Looking forward to the next one!
~~Laurie

PS - glad to hear from the other PNW-ers - hope we can see some of your shots here in the future
09-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
So ---- As always, nice job EVERYONE.
Yeah, great job everyone - including the host. Great image to work with, Laurie.
09-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite agree- great job. Congrats Glenn5995, and Ismaelg. Wonderful image to work with, thanks are due to Laurie (astonm).
09-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for hosting another fun round Laurie, and congrats Glenn!