Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Just catching up on this one now. It's been a bit of a poor month from me in terms of burning out early. I stopped taking photos around the 20th of October. That being said, this lens certainly deserves more air-time. It works well on extension tubes and, in my opinion, seems to favour the subdued styles of images, though can reproduce colour pretty nicely. I'm absolutely not unhappy with the lens or it's performance, especially with the first image below;

It handles B&W rather nicely, which I think is where it's most comfortable. Contrast and sharpness is good from around f/4-5.6 up to around f/8.

Lastly, it's great for glowy, soft, dreamy photos. I think this is where you could have some fun; convert to black and white (contrary to my image below) and there should be plenty of intrigue.

Only negatives for me were minimum focus distance and length of throw. The former is because I'm not used to it and the latter is, as you guessed, because I'm not used to it. It gave me a refreshed perspective on what's around me, but I do like to get up close and personal with subjects. Great lens for the £17 or so I spent on it.

11-06-2019, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Best end of month review I have read, well done on getting through
Thanks! It sold in under 2 days on eBay. I almost feel bad about having not mentioned how awful it is in the description...
11-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #123
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Thanks! It sold in under 2 days on eBay. I almost feel bad about having not mentioned how awful it is in the description...
Good you got rid of it. I have srious problems in selling stuff that I think is not good. And I find it hard to sell good stuff as, so I rarely sell anything
11-08-2019, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[quote-iheiramo;4801349] I'm glad you got rid of him. I have problems selling things that I don't think is good. And I find it difficult to sell good things like, so I rarely sell anything [/quote]

I had to have a purge to pay for my KP. That was painful. My olympus stylus 1s compact bridge and Schneider kreuznach edixa tele xenon 135mm will be the most sorely missed, although, I was frustrated with the Olympus because the IQ was not quite good enough (the same sensor as the MX-1) it was fantastic for street though. I still have my favourite lenses including my beautiful old aluminium preset Zeiss 50mm f2.8 tessar which I plan to pair up with the KP (or K3 if I can't get the KP to sing) for next months single in

11-08-2019, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #125
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I had to have a purge to pay for my KP.
I haven't seen my credit card fully paid since I bought K1ii year ago
There seems to be holidays, new stuff, taxes and horse expensies that prevent me from clearing that remaining 1000€ from my credit card. I have high hopes that this month I can finally pay it all. Still happy thought that I took that 1400€ deal as it's still clearly the lowest price I've seen for the camera and it's been joy to use
11-08-2019, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I haven't seen my credit card fully paid since I bought K1ii year ago
There seems to be holidays, new stuff, taxes and horse expensies that prevent me from clearing that remaining 1000€ from my credit card. I have high hopes that this month I can finally pay it all. Still happy thought that I took that 1400€ deal as it's still clearly the lowest price I've seen for the camera and it's been joy to use
I have seen a used K1 at £995, but new is always way more my problem is that if I bought a K1 I would then need the lenses to go with it ..... And a new computer to process the larger raw files lol
11-08-2019, 04:57 AM   #127
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen a used K1 at £995, but new is always way more my problem is that if I bought a K1 I would then need the lenses to go with it ..... And a new computer to process the larger raw files lol
When LBA really kicked in I was already into M series and also K1 was on the market, so I made consious decicion to stick to FF glass, so I would be ready when the time to upgrade camera would arrive. Only exception is DA21ltd, which I thought to buy with good price and got because M20 was so hard to find and other options were so expencive. I kind of regret it now, 'cause I didn't use it much and have trouble to sell it even close what I paid for it. Haven't decided if I should keep it for my family to use or should I push it away with some low ball offer.

Luckily I don't need to worry about computer. I have a better computer from work than I could justify myself and we are even allowed to install whatever we like. One of the reason why I can't chance job

11-08-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #128
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That won't save you, the new APS-C body will require your purchase soon, either that or the K1.........

---------- Post added 11-09-19 at 06:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
When LBA really kicked in I was already into M series and also K1 was on the market, so I made consious decicion to stick to FF glass, so I would be ready when the time to upgrade camera would arrive. Only exception is DA21ltd, which I thought to buy with good price and got because M20 was so hard to find and other options were so expencive. I kind of regret it now, 'cause I didn't use it much and have trouble to sell it even close what I paid for it. Haven't decided if I should keep it for my family to use or should I push it away with some low ball offer.

Luckily I don't need to worry about computer. I have a better computer from work than I could justify myself and we are even allowed to install whatever we like. One of the reason why I can't chance job
Lowball offer ...... 10Euro............

there you go, now you have to keep it as lowball offers make you sad
11-08-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #129
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote

Lowball offer ...... 10Euro............

there you go, now you have to keep it as lowball offers make you sad

Sorry, made me laugh.

In our local snowbording forum we have 3€ standard offer when ever someone is selling something without price request
11-08-2019, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #130
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
The first week of the month was stellar for me. The combination of an excellent lens and some great opportunities resulted in some of the best shooting I've ever done. One of my shots was my highest-ever rated on explore and got more than 450 faves. I know they're just internet points, but it was encouraging.
What a great feeling to have when a lens surprises and delivers such a good result, well done