Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 115 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cg57 Quote
No worries ... I'm sure it's an open book quiz ...
NO QUIZZES!!!! It was in my contract! Open book still means I have to do something.

Can I have someone else sit in and take it for me?

11-01-2019, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll give it a go for Nov. Some mono and some color probably.
11-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
... I learned alot from ... an Adorama video on how to zone process a black and white image.

Using Zones for Black and White Photography: Exploring Photography with Mark Wallace: AdoramaTV - YouTube
Thanks Bill. Useful viewing.
11-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
well, I got my little sony ('im thinking of calling him Sammy) off to get it's conversion. I'll be picking up a filter and PK to NEX mount adapter. Sad part is between in route and turn around time it will be about 3 weeks before I get it back.

11-01-2019, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh wow - November already. Getting caught up today and doing my best to keep up in November.
11-01-2019, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
well, I got my little sony ('im thinking of calling him Sammy) off to get it's conversion. I'll be picking up a filter and PK to NEX mount adapter. Sad part is between in route and turn around time it will be about 3 weeks before I get it back.
Perfect for December then!
11-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it's acceptable for the challenge (?), I think I'll update multiple days at once, I usually leave a few days to accumulate on the card before editing.

11-01-2019, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh dear. I just realized I haven't made a shot yet...
11-02-2019, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
If it's acceptable for the challenge (?), I think I'll update multiple days at once, I usually leave a few days to accumulate on the card before editing.
It's okay, although you'll get more consistent feedback if you post daily. That's one of the benefits about this challenge.

---------- Post added 11-02-19 at 08:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Oh dear. I just realized I haven't made a shot yet...
Yeah I'm posting late too. I was out late and remembered to take pics on the way to dinner.
11-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
what Bill said. no pressure to post daily, just better feedback...
I find there are times I get a shot, sometimes a safety shot in and post later.
Keeping it fun but learning and growing, too, is what I find here in Daily In
11-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Yeah I'm posting late too. I was out late and remembered to take pics on the way to dinner.
I made it work, phew! I prefer to start off the effort on the right foot! Faltering is always an option, but it would be sad if it was on day one!
11-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

these are the two shots
processed in LR

processed in Nik Sliver
11-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
these are the two shots
processed in LR

processed in Nik Sliver
My goodness, they are so similar. I presume you were using sliders etc in NIK, rather than presets.
11-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I've been uploading in camera/phone edits to Flickr but not posted anything to the group yet. Been enjoying some delightfully grim weather down on the Isle of Wight, think it hit over 100mph winds on the west coast (needles) today and I wasn't that far away.
The little GR put up a great effort to get some shots whilst being battered by wind and spray, not much thought into composition rather just grabbed what I could before retreating back to the car.

11-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
My goodness, they are so similar. I presume you were using sliders etc in NIK, rather than presets.
yes. I open my raw files in DXO now. I de-clicked the smart lighting DXO has and xported the image into nik Silver Effex. I played with the brightness and contrast on this one because it was so close to what I wanted. I don't remember if I did added micro-contrast in DXO or not before exporting into Nik....

For LR, I tried to adjust similar to the video. LR allows you to adjust the whites as DXO and Nik does not. It didn't seem to make much difference. I thought I would pull cleaner whites out but it didn't. One thing I do like in LR is the ability to sharpen just edges. I made a slight adjustment there just to see if it added any value. It's fairly negligible.

I think the value in LR from the video is using the brush to lighten the detail in the lock.

A final thought ... it was also about incorporating the zone system as much as possible. Either program can do that.

I'm not sure what Silver Effex does to data when importing it because the B&W toggle in DXO doesn't give me the same richness as Silver Effex. And I haven't played with it enough. I do know that when I used Raw Therapy (the program Todd uses) you could achieve great B&W results. I think I stopped using that one because I couldn't export it to Silver Efex and I really wanted to. I know there's a way to do that but my old computer wasn't letting me. Once I got my lap top, I already had LR.

In the end, each program has it merits. Finding one that suits your needs and likes is what it's really all about.

Last edited by cg57; 11-02-2019 at 03:28 PM.