Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2019, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Post Processing Challenge #313 - Zeus at night.

Thank you Zooland for hosting #312, now I get to host a lucky number 313 with an image that has always bothered me. I've tried many times to process this, ended up with some decent options, but never quite satisfied. So here goes.

My favourite lightning shot so far, taken with a Pentax K-M original file is PEF, but I also added a DNG for ease of use. Download DNG or PEF. If you choose to enter, the challenge closes at 2:00 PM (GMT+2) on the 3rd of November 2019. You can enter with however many entries you want.

Download DNG or PEF.

Happy post-processing! And may the odds be ever in your favour!

For the next host:
The Mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

10-27-2019, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Gone for a high impact black and white (well, almost) edit, the main strike is somewhat over exposed so I chose to leave it dominating and not reign it in too much.

Name:  PP#313_Zeus.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  359.3 KB
10-27-2019, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Created an HDR from the DNG, corrected the distortion and went with a retro wet film look for a spooky Halloween vibe
Attached Images

10-30-2019, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Great entries so far! Would anyone else like to strike up a version of this? The critique will be harsh and painfully true!

10-31-2019, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After a bit of playing around, this one was the one I liked most
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
11-01-2019, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Here's mine, critique away!

Last edited by tuggie76; 01-11-2020 at 01:51 PM.
11-01-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for hosting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
11-01-2019, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Here's mine.
I tried to go for a desaturated look.

Last edited by jmacias; 11-28-2019 at 07:12 PM.
11-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Sorry for being a bit late, had to visit the hospital.

Competition closed, will post the winner and critique a little later.

---------- Post added 11-03-2019 at 09:46 PM ----------

So, the week has ended again, and I will try and pick apart each entry and pick the winner.

graeme83 - Overall, looks exactly like you meant, high impact. But I don't like the complete blackness and the contrast artefacts in the foreground (white stroke around the foreground objects).

veato - This, this is the kind of edit I myself, would never do. For me, this is so left field that I actually like this a lot. Why? I really don't know. I would be ready to print and frame this right away! Love it!

ffking - While this looks sort of OK, I don't like the vignette style, if the highlights were saved from the vignette, then maybe, but making the lightning bolt half grey is just odd in my humble opinion. Also, the main bolt has a weird desaturated glow around the main bolt on the purple sky. I have run into the same issue with this image myself and kinda always hated the original image for this reason.

tuggie76 - Is he sucking, or sneezing? Either way, it's creative enough to draw attention, for this, like!

mariwalt - While I appreciate the effort, the cloning issues are quite jarring for me. I mean the top of the flagpole you have removed, and the roof has some weird looking issues as well. On top of that, the main lightning bolt has the same issue that ffking had, the desaturated glow on the purple sky is distracting.

jmacias - this looks very close to what I'd call OK from my own versions. In the colours, it looks great, but the lens distortion hasn't been corrected, which loses points for me. Otherwise great effort!

I think the sky only works in BW, and for that, I'm sorry for supplying such a subpar image, the only one who managed to make this look colourful and amazing at the same time was.....

veato Thank you for this very interesting take! I would have never tried this! Congrats on the win!

11-04-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks! I think I was inspired by the pending Halloween holiday!

I'll get the next challenge up asap.
11-04-2019, 03:14 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
Thanks! I think I was inspired by the pending Halloween holiday!

I'll get the next challenge up asap.
I hope you got my PMs as well, I don't see it in my sent box for some reason.
11-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yeah got it thanks
11-05-2019, 03:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

congrats veato!

And thanks for hosting, TLiivo I found it very interesting reading your critiques, which were as promised - I think that brings into sharper focus than usual how personal personal reactions are - how what one person is trying to achieve, another simply doesn't like - which is good news for everybody who gets depressed about the thought that they'll never be as good as a photographer they admire - maybe there are people out there who already prefer what they do to what the other photographer does!
11-05-2019, 07:10 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
congrats veato!

And thanks for hosting, TLiivo I found it very interesting reading your critiques, which were as promised - I think that brings into sharper focus than usual how personal personal reactions are - how what one person is trying to achieve, another simply doesn't like - which is good news for everybody who gets depressed about the thought that they'll never be as good as a photographer they admire - maybe there are people out there who already prefer what they do to what the other photographer does!
Well put, photography is as more about personal style as opposed to clean IQ, high resolution and Max. DOF gearfaggotry. The image provided this time was taken with a Pentax K-m and the cheapo DA AL kit lens. But the RAW image provided enough information to have enough headroom to create many possible takes from the image. Photography is supposed to be a process, not just tapping JPG's out of your 1Dx or D3s.

I'm currently trying to move back into film photography for a while to slow things down even more, that's going to include developing b&w film by hand. It's definitely not for everyone, but personally I find it a lot more satisfying. And the only working film camera I have right now is a Zenit-1 from 1952, it's crazy how long some things work.