Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 03:30 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Model Photography

Lately I have taken a break from landscapes and instead I have been flirting with model photography. I invested in some gear and had a few attempts, but so far I am not completely satisfied. It seems more difficult than with landscapes, which is probably to be expected since there are people involved. Also, I find the technical part is more challenging, with lights, modifiers and such. I think it's bigger challenge for me (or any photographer) because you need to work more to create a picture, as compared to landscapes where nature gives you everything served on a plate and you have to find the right moment and angle. I looked for a dedicated thread but couldn't find any so I thought to start one myself. Post up your model pictures and maybe we can learn from each other and also find some much needed inspiration when it comes to this particular genre.

While I was writing this sumptuous intro, I was thinking that all we need is LeRolls to jump in (kidding ).

I will start with a picture of a friend while trying out the DFA* 50mm, the Godox AD400 Pro and the Godox P120L parabolic softbox. I think my retouching skills are quite basic, used Lightroom only and now asking myself whether or not I should switch to something like Photoshop.

11-19-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your photo reminds me one of those photographs of birds behind tree branches that are posted in the 300mm+ lens thread.
11-19-2019, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Your photo reminds me one of those photographs of birds behind tree branches that are posted in the 300mm+ lens thread.
... except this is a different bird species I was trying to make use of the tree branches to my advantage, I think using the background to complement the model is one of the most important skills that one can have... and gives me a lot of headaches.
11-19-2019, 05:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I’d have to say that a foreground branch covering part of her head isn’t a great look, especially that close to the eye. The background colors in this photo are great with the model and outfit. I think your post processing looks pretty good.

11-19-2019, 05:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I’d have to say that a foreground branch covering part of her head isn’t a great look, especially that close to the eye.
Thanks for the critique, I was also having some doubts. I have some more shots of her that I will post when I'm done with PP.
11-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too think the obscuring foreground isn't ideal. But like others I think the rest of this photo hits the mark.
11-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

all the colours work well, clothing, hair, skin and background. I think the idea of having part of the face obscured like a veil is interesting, maybe it works maybe it doesn't, may need more experimentation.

If you can find it there is a book by William Mortensen called, The Model - (A Book on the , , , , Problems of Posing). Might be worth a read.

or this:
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=william+mortensen

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/photographer-who-ansel-adams-cal...ist-180953525/

https://monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2017/05/william-mortensen-1897-1965.html

Last edited by beachgardener; 11-19-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add link
11-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The branch covering part of her hair doesn't bother me; it helps render a 3D effect IMO. What I noticed was the overall bluish tint. I confirmed this by checking the WB in the whites of her eyes. Used my favorite jpeg editing software (PhotoFiltre) to adjust the WB so that her eyes are white. This isn't a perfect technique since not everyone's eye 'whites' are the same shade, but it gets you in the ballpark.

Attached Images

11-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes the whites have probably picked up a tint from the jumper and green around, but I like the skin tone more in the original or maybe not quite a warm as in the second image.
11-21-2019, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

neat thread!! this year I've made it a point to do people/portrait photography more than ever....even found a local group that gets together monthly.....it's been alotta fun and great for learning.....lighting is the biggest pitfall but try and work with whats available.....i'm quite fascinated with working with off camera flash.....

here's an attempt to get my friends daughter in her hobbit costume for Halloween...the plan was to backlight with color gel (af200fg on cheap light weight tripod) and have tight lighting using a snoot (af360fgz in 's' bracket on a microphone stand)...K-3ii...fa35/f2...cactus v6 triggers......I was not very successful as we played more than do an actual shoot....

I wish I had more practice because I would really like to improve this type of photography.....

Last edited by Aaron28; 11-21-2019 at 08:19 PM.
11-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
yes the whites have probably picked up a tint from the jumper and green around, but I like the skin tone more in the original or maybe not quite a warm as in the second image.
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
What I noticed was the overall bluish tint. I confirmed this by checking the WB in the whites of her eyes. Used my favorite jpeg editing software (PhotoFiltre) to adjust the WB so that her eyes are white. This isn't a perfect technique since not everyone's eye 'whites' are the same shade, but it gets you in the ballpark.
Thank you both. I will try to warm it up a little bit, probably best is somewhere in the middle.

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2019 at 05:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I wish I had more practice because I would really to improve this type of photography.....
Same here... but I have problems finding models.
11-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Same here... but I have problems finding models.
yep...that's what makes the monthly meet & greet a good deal.....the trouble is getting a 1/2 dozen novices to do anything about the lighting including myself everyone just wants to click away.....here's an example of not being aware of the lighting.....her shadow on the wall drives me nuts!! plus I prolly could have gotten her dress on the floor too....

11-27-2019, 02:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think this was my first attempt ever at model photography. At that time I had a cheap flash and no good modifiers so I went for natural light only.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
here's an example of not being aware of the lighting.....her shadow on the wall drives me nuts!! plus I prolly could have gotten her dress on the floor too....
Maybe you could have tried a tighter framing to get rid of the shadow. Anyway, the biggest problem with this picture is the background... for me at least.
11-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Maybe you could have tried a tighter framing to get rid of the shadow. Anyway, the biggest problem with this picture is the background... for me at least.
thanks....yeh many things wrong with it for sure....that shadow ugh.....the backgrounds are a challenge trying to do stuff in a bar.....ain't the first time that couch was slammed up against that piano.....

I think this was my first attempt ever at model photography. At that time I had a cheap flash and no good modifiers so I went for natural light only.
very nice!! nothing wrong working with natural light at all....the ones that drive me nuts are with completely blown out highlights/sky that wash away much of the scene where you lose the context of where the picture is being taken
11-27-2019, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

speaking of natural light....a few of my mom using the gold of a multi deal reflector...ya can kinda tell which side the gold reflection hits.....K-1 with sears 135macro