Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2019, 11:30 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Vintage lens bokeh comparison

Over the last few years, I've built up a small collection of vintage screw mount takumar lenses that I like to shoot with, from 300mm down to 35mm. To help improve my own understanding of the balance between focal length and aperture for creating depth of field, I did a small exercise where I set up a shot (for which my partner generously modeled) and tried to capture the same composition with each lens at a few particular aperture ratios. It also gave me some interesting ways to compare the relative sharpness of my lens collection.

The lenses I used were the Takumar 300mm f4 (model 1), Macro-Takumar 50mm f4, Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4 (8-element), and Super-Takumar 35mm f2 (model 1 early). Each lens shot at each available aperture of f8, f5.6, f4, f2, and f1.4. So, the first two lenses got only 3 shots each, while the faster lenses got progressively more shots to compare. I did very little post-processing on these images, to ensure that they'd best represent what was coming out of the camera.

You can see the collection at a higher resolution in my Google Photos album. I'm planning to build a comparison tool on my website at some point, but wanted to share the photos here first.

Has anyone else taken comparison shots like this?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF