Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 03:54 AM - 6 Likes   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A quick update. My area escaped the fires by pure good luck during the peak of South Coast activity. So many others have lost so much - heartbreaking stuff. Rain today has been very welcome but apparently not enough to stop the fires. Fire weather is returning later in the week, with three fire sources of concern to me. Fingers remain crossed. Thank you for your expressions of support.

01-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
A quick update. My area escaped the fires by pure good luck during the peak of South Coast activity. So many others have lost so much - heartbreaking stuff. Rain today has been very welcome but apparently not enough to stop the fires. Fire weather is returning later in the week, with three fire sources of concern to me. Fingers remain crossed. Thank you for your expressions of support.

Glad to hear you’ve been lucky, Rod (so many haven’t). I hope it stays that way for you.
01-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keeping an eye on this - thanks for sharing an update.
01-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #64
Pentaxian

My god! It must be horrifying for a lot of people. Hope that hope is up there. Hold on, all of you .

01-10-2020, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Indeed glad to hear that you are safe! What a horrible times Australia is going through. Working with cancer patients for many years, I've developed rather "thick" skin, one almost has to imo (don't get me wrong, I'm still very compassionate), but every time I see your country's animals in the burning fires, the photos of what this fire left behind, everything inside of me just turns inside out!!! Very best wishes to all!

Regards,
D
01-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This day permitted me to capture enough images to make up for my slack performance for the month. Three different locations, wonderful weather, a cloudless blue sky with that slanted hard winter light that makes everything pop as the shadows grow long, great day!
01-13-2020, 12:02 AM - 5 Likes   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My January 10 picture of the ancient projector I bought second hand for its lens made Explore the other day. I'm well aware of the vagaries of Explore's algorithm, particularly its emphasis on "interestingness" rather than "quality", but thought I might note that this was my 200th Explore. Perhaps of more interest is that I've used 77 different lenses while getting there; a measure of validation for LBA perhaps?

01-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, Rod!
I don't know if it validates LBA, what if all your Explores came from the same lens?
01-13-2020, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Congratulations, Rod!
I don't know if it validates LBA, what if all your Explores came from the same lens?
LOL. Thanks Rob. Just clutching at straws to justify the number of lenses; always acquiring, never disposing.
01-14-2020, 05:02 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just clutching at straws to justify the number of lenses; always acquiring, never disposing.
I understand. This Recently acquired used Pentax F 100-300mm is my latest purchase, and I am loving the result of it on the K-1. One of the shots with it even hit Explore this morning, and I'm very happy with this image.
01-15-2020, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's Thursday morning here and I only just posted for the day before. I get the impression PF has been down for quite a bit, certainly for several hours when I returned home from the South Coast yesterday. Anyways, it's looking good now and I'll catch up with comments during today.
01-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was down this afternoon when I was trying to waste some time. I had to do some work instead.
01-15-2020, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
I was trying to waste some time. I had to do some work instead.
Me too, it was a real trial.
01-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #74
Pentaxian

It's Thursday morning here and I only just posted for the day before. I get the impression PF has been down for quite a bit, certainly for several hours when I returned home from the South Coast yesterday. Anyways, it's looking good now and I'll catch up with comments during today.

I am daaaaaaaays behind. Got photies; no posties.

I’ll get there. Just a bit of a whirlwind in life atm
01-17-2020, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get up: Dark... Come home after work: Dark...

Kinda "forced" to work with the household items for now, and finding interest in every day object can be challenging at times.

Regards,
D

---------- Post added 01-17-2020 at 05:47 PM ----------

Found this part of James Clear writing rather interesting:

"...On the first day of class, Jerry Uelsmann, a professor at the University of Florida, divided his film photography students into two groups.

Everyone on the left side of the classroom, he explained, would be in the “quantity” group. They would be graded solely on the amount of work they produced. On the final day of class, he would tally the number of photos submitted by each student. One hundred photos would rate an A, ninety photos a B, eighty photos a C, and so on.

Meanwhile, everyone on the right side of the room would be in the “quality” group. They would be graded only on the excellence of their work. They would only need to produce one photo during the semester, but to get an A, it had to be a nearly perfect image.

At the end of the term, he was surprised to find that all the best photos were produced by the quantity group. During the semester, these students were busy taking photos, experimenting with composition and lighting, testing out various methods in the darkroom, and learning from their mistakes. In the process of creating hundreds of photos, they honed their skills. Meanwhile, the quality group sat around speculating about perfection. In the end, they had little to show for their efforts other than unverified theories and one mediocre photo..."

So let the daily self challenges continue!

Regards,
D