Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 215 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2020, 04:17 AM - 16 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Year End Review: Your Favorite Photos of 2019

It's hard to believe that the decade is over and the Roaring 20s are here again! I always enjoy the year end review threads where people pull out their favorite 10-ish images from the last year. I was waiting to see if someone else would start such a thread and I haven't seen it and so I will jump in here.

The point is merely to show your favorite images from the preceding year and hopefully a little bit about what you remember about them and the lenses you used to make them. I won't set an exact number of photos to share. If you only have one that's fine, but probably shouldn't go over about 12 to avoid blitzing the thread with a million photos.

I'll start...

This one was taken in January. It was a cold evening and I was heading home from work and happened to have my K3 and DA 15 limited with me. The sunset was just fantastic and so I stopped by a scrubby field to take the image.

Tractor at Sunset (DFA 24-70)

Spring at Monticello (DFA 24-70) -- happened to visit Monticello with my family and it was the perfect spring day with minimal crowds there.

Peaks of Otter and Abbot Lake (DFA 24-70) My family and I rode the shuttle up Sharp Top Mountain and then hiked down. This is the view from the top...

Sunrise and Soybeans (DFA 15-30mm)

Jellyfish at Sunrise (DFA 15-30mm) Visited Kiawah Island in June with my family and I got up early and went down to the beach to take photos and this jellyfish caught my eye.

Sunflower (FA 31) There is a farmer who plants a field of sunflowers close to where I live and so I went there and tried to catch the sun filtering through a sunflower. This was the best I could get.

Tractor in the Mist (DFA 15-30mm)

Road to the Sunset (DA *55) Just the road that goes by my home. Saw an amazing sunset starting and decided to walk down it a little and see how I could frame it. This was the best I could do.

Staunton River at Sunrise (DFA 24-70)

Smith Mountain Lake (FA 31 limited) Drove up to the lake one morning and was treated to quite a sunrise. Fortunately the FA 31 was up to the task of capturing it.

Railroad Tracks at Dawn (DFA 24-70) Once again, just taken around the corner from my home. Just a matter of waking up early enough to see the sun in the right spot.

And just for good measure, our family was given the most amazing gift of a baby girl this year. Elise has already brought lots of joy into our family.

Sisters (DA *55)

I don't know if those are the best images I took last year. Maybe, maybe not, but I think they do a fairly decent job of representing the things I have seen in the little slice of rural Virginia I drive through every morning. A surprising number are taken with zooms. I like primes a lot and often got out with them in mornings to shoot, but zooms are still what I use when I'm hiking or just want flexibility. And honestly, the DFA 15-30 and 24-70 are very nice lenses.

Anyway, I have babbled on enough here. Please share your favorite images from last year, regardless of quality. It really is more about the journey the destination and I hope we share the enjoyment of image creation together.

Edit: Des suggested that I add the links to past Year End Threads (which he kindly tracked down for me), so here they are:

Year End Review: Your Favorite Photos of 2018
Year in Review: Share Your 12 Favorites of 2017
Favorite Images From 2016
Best Ten Photos of 2015!
Favorite Ten Photos of 2014
Top Ten 2013

Last edited by Rondec; 01-07-2020 at 08:22 PM.
01-01-2020, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations with your new baby girl.

You live in an exciting area that gives you opprtunities to shoot these images, my compliments.
01-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'll start...
Excellent set of images, with many spectacular sunrises, a postcard-worthy view of Monticello, and a lovely image of your daughters. In a way, though, my favorite is the tractor in the mist -- the subtle glow in the sky gives this a hard-to-define mood.
01-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Congratulations with your new baby girl.

You live in an exciting area that gives you opprtunities to shoot these images, my compliments.
Thank you. I guess I would say that there is beauty everywhere, but this part of Virginia doesn't feel like it has the same sort of beauty that "hits you up side the head" like the Alps, or the Grand Canyon, or parts of British Columbia, for example.

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Excellent set of images, with many spectacular sunrises, a postcard-worthy view of Monticello, and a lovely image of your daughters. In a way, though, my favorite is the tractor in the mist -- the subtle glow in the sky gives this a hard-to-define mood.
Thank you.

01-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I started posting a set, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get acceptable-looking cross-postings here from Flickr. I tend to use a larger size there than is appropriate here, but anything scaled down from full-size looks horrible.

Last edited by baro-nite; 01-01-2020 at 08:54 AM.
01-01-2020, 08:58 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

It's hard to believe that the decade is over and the Roaring 20s are here again! I always enjoy the year end review threads where people pull out their favorite 10-ish images from the last year. I was waiting to see if someone else would start such a thread and I haven't seen it and so I will jump in here.

The point is merely to show your favorite images from the preceding year and hopefully a little bit about what you remember about them and the lenses you used to make them. I won't set an exact number of photos to share. If you only have one that's fine, but probably shouldn't go over about 12 to avoid blitzing the thread with a million photos.

I'll start...
Great images, Vincent. Thanks for sharing, even if those aren't your best of 2020, they are all great And congratulations on the new baby girl...

Now I have nowhere near the talent that most people in this website have... but I'll be brave and post a couple of pictures that I was relatively happy with.

01-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aren't there any other people who are willing to post even a couple of photos that are favorites from last year? I was sure we could get at least nine or ten pages of photos...

01-04-2020, 06:48 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aren't there any other people who are willing to post even a couple of photos that are favorites from last year? I was sure we could get at least nine or ten pages of photos...
Beautiful images everyone! I'll add just one for now, taken exactly a year ago. I just recall it being a gorgeous winter day at the creek back in Texas. I'll be adding more soon.
01-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Another proof how powerful monochrome images can be.
Thanks for sharing this image with us.
01-05-2020, 09:46 AM - 10 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

One of the earliest shots I took with the KP I acquired in December

01-05-2020, 09:50 AM - 6 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

A 5 shot handheld pano taken from the Edinburgh Castle in Scotland.

Edinburgh Pano from Castle
01-05-2020, 10:12 AM - 8 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always difficult - always fun - some of these have been posted here before, but it wouldn't be a selection of my favourtes if I didn't include them.

Surreal start

I should probably include this, as it's my highest Flickr count yet (not that high, even then )

A memory of some lovely light, but cold

A business trip to Leeds ith some fun photography thrown in

A good year for the speckled bush crickets

saying goodbye to regiular visits to Oxford after both boys have finished there

One of various visits to Wales, where we were house-hunting - Swansea here

An unexpected alley in Durham

Swanea bay at night

Down by the Wear, Durham

Last edited by ffking; 01-05-2020 at 03:13 PM.
01-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

A couple of great pictures in this thread. Thanks for sharing!
01-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Another proof how powerful monochrome images can be.
Thanks for sharing this image with us.
Thanks for your comments!
01-05-2020, 12:35 PM - 14 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Inspirational stuff around here! Fabulous!
A contribution from me- one from each month- consecutively presented
Jumping Spider

The drop after rain

De Brazza Monkey

Saddle billed Stork portrait

My favorite Model at the Orphanage

Stairs, light and Shadows

Not quite sleeping Flamingo

Gosling season in August

Some architecture for September with the Fisheye

October Johannesburg is ablaze with Jacarandas

Fun with PP – Reversed B/W

From a visit to Cape St Francis in Port Elizabeth

Last edited by noelcmn; 01-05-2020 at 12:43 PM.