Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2020, 01:43 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I decided I didn't want to photography people this week past... not because of COVID or anything - I'm just feeling antisocial!

Got a nice one here - the sea, soft focus, and ... in a deconstructionist style? Not going to lie... not entirely sure what that style means. In fact, the wiki page seems to focus more on telling you what it's not! Still, sea, soft-focus... I can work with that! =D I'll try and figure out that deconstrucitonist thing as well... in faaact... soft focus, eh? I might even see about getting the next version of my 3D printed lens put together this week =D

Week: №41
Duration:2020/11/10--2020/11/16

Subject: SEA
Focus on: SOFT FOCUS (ABERRATION)
Style: DECONSTRUCTIONIST
Optional Challenge: DoF - Focus on the Depth-of-Field (DoF) when shooting

This week's challenge will use SEA as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of SOFT FOCUS (ABERRATION) in a DECONSTRUCTIONIST style.

The optional challenge is: DoF - Focus on the Depth-of-Field (DoF) when shooting

All photos you take must emphasise the Depth-of-Field. Either:
A) Every time you shoot, take 2-3 shots of the same subject with different DoF (short/long, and optionally somewhere intermediate).

--OR--

B) For the first third of your journey, use a short DoF; for the second third, use an intermediate DoF; and for the final third, use a long DoF. Take at least ten shots at each setting.

Using your Camera's Aperture-Priority Mode (usually marked 'A') is advisable.

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of the aperture corner of the exposure triangle.)

11-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №42

Subject: GLASS
Focus on: SKINNINESS
Style: DECONSTRUCTIONIST
Optional Challenge: Strangers - Ask strangers if you can take photos of them

This week's challenge will use GLASS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of SKINNINESS in a DECONSTRUCTIONIST style.

The optional challenge is: Strangers - Ask strangers if you can take photos of them

You may only take photos of strangers you have saught (and gained) permission to photograph. Approach strangers on the street and ask (politely!) if they might mind if you captured some photos of them. If they say 'yes' then you're goood to go! For added challenge, you may find it rewarding to pose them.

(The purpose of this is to encourage confidence in your photography, and in overcoming shyness. It also reinforces portrait photography.)
11-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #198

Photos: Albums
Am new to the forum, so first try - I assume you post a picture in this thread? Hope I have this right

Glass - Skinny - Deconstructionist
11-26-2020, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #199
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay, folks - I was ill with what we thought was COVID but thankfully just turned out to be a regular flu that left me bedridden. It was hilariously fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by Porffor Quote
Am new to the forum, so first try - I assume you post a picture in this thread? Hope I have this right

Glass - Skinny - Deconstructionist
NOICE! =D No worries, it's difficult to do this one wrong since it's just-for-fun :P

I like it - I've experimented a whileback with using xmas lights for bokeh effects, and actually found that macro shots of tinsel were really beautiful, and gave (in my case) a golden glow very similar to yourself! I love what you did here - some very interesting things going on (though I'm struggling to put words to it - my head is still a bit blurry/fuzzy from the fever I'm afraid!) - I particularly like how the seemingly random "blobs" of colour on the glass come together to add interest and depth to an ostensibly flat image - further amplified by the distortion of the glass on the colours behind it.

I like it

Right, I had better get this week's challenge up (late!) - sorry again for the delay!

---------- Post added 2020-11-26 at 09:05 ----------

Week: №43
Duration:???

Subject: HEAVY INDUSTRY
Focus on: SOFT FOCUS (ABBERATION)
Style: LAZY
Optional Challenge: Manual-only - Use only manual mode on your camera.

This week's challenge will use HEAVY INDUSTRY as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of SOFT FOCUS (ABBERATION) in a LAZY style.

The optional challenge is: Manual-only - Use only manual mode on your camera.

Set your camera to manual mode (usually marked 'M' or 'MANUAL'), and control each corner of the exposure triangle (ISO, Shutter speed, and Aperture) yourself. For added challenge, you may also disable autofocus (though many do this themselves anyway!)

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of the entire exposure triangle, and to intamately familiarise yourself with the controls of your camera.)

11-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #200

Photos: Albums
Hope you feel better soon. Will have a look at the new challenge. All for a bit of fun.
11-27-2020, 12:42 AM   #201
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Sorry for the delay, folks - I was ill with what we thought was COVID but thankfully just turned out to be a regular flu that left me bedridden. It was hilariously fun.
Hope you're feeling better! "Just" a flu can be plenty, umm, hillarious

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

Now I should probably go out with my worst lens looking for some industrial stuff - unless I'm too lazy...
12-04-2020, 12:49 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hope you're feeling better! "Just" a flu can be plenty, umm, hillarious

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

Now I should probably go out with my worst lens looking for some industrial stuff - unless I'm too lazy...
It was great! I got to fall asleep in random places, I could cough out the window at strangers, talk to the ceiling, stare at some walls for hours on end, watch terrible daytime TV, lie to telemarketers asking about the accident I was in, and when the fever got into full swing, wow! You won't believe how whacky the night terrors were! I dreamt - get this - that COVID-life went back to normal!...at least until the tortilla flotilla invaded... though, to be fair...

I haven't made it out this week again - weather has been terrible - which is actually a bit of a pity, because I reckon the local Glaxo Smithkline plant would look amazing at night with the light hitting the rain.... except I didn't want to go out in the rain because it was cold and dark

---------- Post added 2020-12-04 at 00:52 ----------

Week: №44
Duration:2020/12/04--2020/12/10

Subject: SUNLIGHT AND SHADOWS
Focus on: HORIZONS
Style: COMMANDING
Optional Challenge: Contrast - Focus on contrast in your composition

This week's challenge will use SUNLIGHT AND SHADOWS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of HORIZONS in a COMMANDING style.

The optional challenge is: Contrast - Focus on contrast in your composition

All images you take must emphasise contrast. Either:
A) for each subject take multiple shots from different angles to both emphasise AND understate contrast.

--OR--

B) Alternate between high- and low-contrast shots for the duration of your journey.

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to appreciate and understand the role of contrast in their composition.)

12-11-2020, 02:26 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №45
Duration:2020/12/11--2020/12/17

Subject: DREAMING
Focus on: POINTLESSNESS
Style: INSANE
Optional Challenge: Prime Lenses - Take 2 prime lenses - no zooming allowed! Use one on the outward leg of your journey, and the other your return leg!

This week's challenge will use DREAMING as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of POINTLESSNESS in an INSANE style.

The optional challenge is: Prime Lenses - Take 2 prime lenses - no zooming allowed! Use one on the outward leg of your journey, and the other your return leg!

Use exactly two prime lenses (of different focal lengths) on your journey. Choose beforehand which lenses you are taking. On the outward leg of your journey, you must use one of these prime lenses, swapping the lenses only at the half-way point of your journey.

For bonus points, backtrack along the same path with the second lens.

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to appreciate the difference of focal length and to emphasise the use of footwork rather than merely zooming in (or out) of their subject)

This is the second one I have generated this week - I decided not to make the first one (see attached) the primary challenge - but its there if you want to try it out anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0-LOVE-IMMODESTY-RETRO.txt (616 Bytes, 63 views)
12-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #204
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Xmas special! I tweaked the program to generate a christmas subject and focus

Week: №46
Duration:2020/12/22--2020/12/28

Subject: MERRYMAKING
Focus on: CHEER
Style: CRITICAL
Optional Challenge: DoF - Focus on the Depth-of-Field (DoF) when shooting

This week's challenge will use MERRYMAKING as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of CHEER in a CRITICAL style.

The optional challenge is: DoF - Focus on the Depth-of-Field (DoF) when shooting

All photos you take must emphasise the Depth-of-Field. Either:
A) Every time you shoot, take 2-3 shots of the same subject with different DoF (short/long, and optionally somewhere intermediate).

--OR--

B) For the first third of your journey, use a short DoF; for the second third, use an intermediate DoF; and for the final third, use a long DoF. Take at least ten shots at each setting.

Using your Camera's Aperture-Priority Mode (usually marked 'A') is advisable.

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of the aperture corner of the exposure triangle.)