Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I never said it wouldn't be fun, only a challenge. On the way into work I had a sideways idea of how to accomplish this, now to find the time to give it a try.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with!

I have a few ideas myself: say, there's a question... WR lenses should resist a bit of blown sand, right? I was thinking of taking some shots on the dunes near Irvine beach - but if the wind picks up Im going to get sand thrown right at me. Worth bagging the camera, do you reckon? I'll definitely put a UV filter on the front to keep sand from abrading the front element - but what about the rest of the lends (and body)?

--EDIT--
You know what? WR means "stands a chance of resisting water/dust" - I'll play it safe and get a baggy involved. While it'd probably be fine, why take the risk? Murphy will get you every time!

Last edited by cprobertson1; 01-20-2020 at 07:23 AM.
01-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Just removed a bit in my post above about my preference for new images so as to not to be controversial.

---------- Post added 20-01-20 at 14:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
WR lenses should resist a bit of blown sand, right?
Suppose it depends on how much, I have used the non WR GRII in 80mph sea/salt spray for a brief period and it survived that just fine. Wouldn't have even questioned using a WR kit in those conditions personally.
Probably best to avoid using a zoom as it might get in the sliding seals.
01-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with!

I have a few ideas myself: say, there's a question... WR lenses should resist a bit of blown sand, right? I was thinking of taking some shots on the dunes near Irvine beach - but if the wind picks up Im going to get sand thrown right at me. Worth bagging the camera, do you reckon? I'll definitely put a UV filter on the front to keep sand from abrading the front element - but what about the rest of the lends (and body)?

--EDIT--
You know what? WR means "stands a chance of resisting water/dust" - I'll play it safe and get a baggy involved. While it'd probably be fine, why take the risk? Murphy will get you every time!
I would say yes. I use my stuff in the elements all the time although frost is my big issue of late. I bought it to use it
01-20-2020, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Does this really need to be a competition?

01-20-2020, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Does this really need to be a competition?
I was actually thinking that myself. Running it as a straight-up-challenge simplifies... well... everything!

No immediate changes - but stay tuned!

I'll propose the new rules, to come into effect at the end of the week, and that gives us time to sort out any stumbling blocks.

---------- Post added 2020-01-20 at 08:56 ----------

I've had a think about this and I think it'd be easier for all involved if it were simply a "challenge" thread. Here's a subject - go out and have fun with it. No judging, no opting-out-of-judging, and fairy lax rules - and a little something for everyone.

Here are the proposed rules - and if there are no major objections, I'll institute them at the end of the week instead of electing a new judge.

QuoteQuote:
Challenge will typically run Monday-Sunday to try and account for time-zone differences.
  1. 1x Image-submission-per-person-per-week!
  2. NO RESTRICTIONS on when the submissions were taken. New or archived images may be used freely.
  3. Interpretation of the theme may be as creative, literal, or metaphorical as you please!
  4. The optional challenge is there for personal challenge only - it's entirely... optional!
  5. Each participant may also submit some keywords to be added to the pool for future challenges! See below for details.

For keyword submissions, you may submit 1-3 keywords PER category PER week.
  1. Subject: "the thing to be photographed" - the subject of the latest challenge was "road" for instance.
  2. Modifier: "the thing to focus on in the subject - something that modifies it" - a concept or adjective - "desolation" was the focus of the last challenge.
  3. Style: this pretty much describes how to take the image - simple adjectives work well. "Portrait" was the style of the last challenge.

If you'd like to add an "optional challenge" to the pool as well, it'd be much appreciated! Just describe it as best you can and I'll convert it into the format for adding to the keyword-dictionary!

I add these for when I want to add difficulty to an easy challenge or to practice some basic concepts. For instance, one of my optional challenges is "strangers" - the challenge is that I can only take photos of strangers that I have sought and gained permission to photograph, which requires approaching them in the street. I've also had a lot of fun with the "30-shots only" challenge, harking back to the days of film photography which I never had a real chance to experience.

Please be aware that this random generator will be open-sourced, so eventually anybody will be able to modify it as they please: keywords added through this challenge will be added to the "main" copy, and will always be used in this challenge.

Last edited by cprobertson1; 01-21-2020 at 12:20 AM.
01-20-2020, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

Okay so based on the newest set of rules and in compliance with the last set of rules prior and following this criteria,,

Subject: PLANTS
Focus on: LIGHT GRADIENT
Style: UNCOMPLICATED

I will use a Pic from a few weeks ago that I think fits...

Bombay Sunset

Al

01-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Okay so based on the newest set of rules and in compliance with the last set of rules prior and following this criteria,,

Subject: PLANTS
Focus on: LIGHT GRADIENT
Style: UNCOMPLICATED

I will use a Pic from a few weeks ago that I think fits...

Bombay Sunset

Al

Ooft! Love that reflection!

01-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #38
Pentaxian

1x Image-submission-per-person-per-week!
I'm glad to see that the competition style of this is going to change. I would have refused all judging responsibilities, and since I'd win every single week, I'm sure you all would have grown tired of that quickly.

I wonder now, that since it's not a judged competition, if we could relax the one-image-per-week rule? I was thinking one archival shot and one fresh one at least? Maybe a max of three total?
01-21-2020, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm glad to see that the competition style of this is going to change. I would have refused all judging responsibilities, and since I'd win every single week, I'm sure you all would have grown tired of that quickly.

I wonder now, that since it's not a judged competition, if we could relax the one-image-per-week rule? I was thinking one archival shot and one fresh one at least? Maybe a max of three total?
Haha - so modest!

That's not a bad plan. It was originally intended to reduce thread bloat - but I don't see a reason for it unless somebody goes waaaaaay overboard!

I'll just straight-up remove it - if over-posting becomes a problem in the future, we can cross that bridge then. Removing it also shouldn't affect current posters

---------- Post added 2020-01-21 at 00:52 ----------

The imaginatively named "Flower" - took this in June last year, but I absolutely love the swirley bokeh.

It was taken with my Vivitar 28mm prime which is a lens I dont use very often because the results are always a little soft (though maybe that's just me! The reviews say it's pretty sharp at F/8, so maybe Im just doing somethign wrong!)

It worked out wonderfully for this shot though - when I noticed the swirley bokeh I folded the lens hood in on itself (it was one of those nasty cheap rubber ones that are like £1) to get some deliberate vignetting.

I quite like the result - it's definitely the best shot I've taken with that particular lens - though that's probably not saying much!

Last edited by cprobertson1; 01-21-2020 at 01:03 AM.
01-22-2020, 05:50 AM   #40
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 2020-01-21 at 00:52 ----------

[/COLOR]

The imaginatively named "Flower" - took this in June last year, but I absolutely love the swirley bokeh.

It was taken with my Vivitar 28mm prime which is a lens I dont use very often because the results are always a little soft (though maybe that's just me! The reviews say it's pretty sharp at F/8, so maybe Im just doing somethign wrong!)

It worked out wonderfully for this shot though - when I noticed the swirley bokeh I folded the lens hood in on itself (it was one of those nasty cheap rubber ones that are like £1) to get some deliberate vignetting.

I quite like the result - it's definitely the best shot I've taken with that particular lens - though that's probably not saying much!

It has a nice dreamy look to it!
AL
01-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
It has a nice dreamy look to it!
AL
It does! I'll need to play with that lens more often!

I wonder if it wouldn't benefit from a bit of cropping, now that I'm looking at it. The image, not the lens. Please don't crop my lens

I've got a cool plan for an abstract shot - but finding time is going to be hard

Last edited by cprobertson1; 01-22-2020 at 10:27 AM.
01-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster

And now, for a new image - I was planning on going out after work, but I got invited to the cinema with the parents instead! By the time I got home, it was super foggy, and I thought of the challenge and decided I wanted to go out and capture something for it!

This wasn't actually the effect I was going for, but it turned out well! That DA 50mm is a nice little lens - that F/1.8 works wonders for handheld night shots (yes, yes, I know... should have used a tripod! )
01-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the time I got home, it was super foggy, and I thought of the challenge and decided I wanted to go out and capture something for it!
There go my way-too-similar plans - looks like I'll follow-through on Plan B.
01-24-2020, 03:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finalised rules.

Rules are now finalised and will only change if there is a very large and unforeseeable problem with them.

QuoteQuote:
Challenge will typically run Monday-Sunday to try and account for time-zone differences.
  1. NO RESTRICTIONS on when the submissions were taken. New or archived images may be used freely.
  2. Don't worry about late submissions, submit them anyway! Just let us know that it's from a previous week so we don't get confused!
  3. Interpretation of the theme may be as creative, literal, or metaphorical as you please!
  4. The optional challenge is there for personal challenge only - it is entirely... optional!
  5. Each participant may also submit some keywords to be added to the pool for future challenges! See below for details.
  6. Have fun!

For keyword submissions, you may submit 1-3 keywords PER category PER week (so, up to nine, total, per week)!
  1. Subject: "the thing to be photographed" - the subject of the first challenge was "road" for instance.
  2. Modifier: "the thing to focus on in the subject - something that modifies it" - a concept or adjective - "desolation" was the focus of the first challenge.
  3. Style: this pretty much describes how to take the image - simple adjectives work well. "Portrait" was the style of the first challenge.

If you'd like to add an "optional challenge" to the pool as well, it'd be much appreciated! Just describe it as best you can and I'll convert it into the format for adding to the keyword-dictionary!

I add these for when I want to add difficulty to an easy challenge or to practice some basic concepts. For instance, one of my optional challenges is "strangers" - the challenge is that I can only take photos of strangers that I have sought and gained permission to photograph, which requires approaching them in the street. I've also had a lot of fun with the "30-shots only" challenge, harking back to the days of film photography which I never had a real chance to experience.

Please be aware that this random generator will be open-sourced, so eventually, anybody will be able to modify it as they please: keywords added through this challenge will be added to the "main" copy, and will always be used in this challenge.
01-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Sorry but I'm out. When the rules are finalized, I'll see if I'm interested.

Tim
You'll be glad to hear that's the rules finally finalised!

Sorry for all the confusion and changes - they won't be changed again!