Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 08:37 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

The weekly random-subject challenge!

I decided I'd quite like to see what people other than myself do with my random-subject generator (see thread), so I thought I'd run a series of challenges, most likely on a weekly basis

The game is simple and entirely for-fun: the computer picks three words from a pre-generated list (and an optional challenge) which I'll post up here as the theme.

Some will be vague - some will be oddly specific - some will be contradictory: you can interpret them as literally or as metaphorically as you'd like! The purpose of the random subject is only to serve as a form of inspiration - the rest is entirely up to you!

The goal is to see what people do with my generator and to have fun with the challenge of solving the "puzzle" when you get a weird or ostensibly impossible subject - with or without the optional challenge!

While many of the other challenges and minigames revolve around passing the theme onto the "winner", it's rather difficult to do this here owing to the theme being ultimately controlled by a list of keywords... which leaves an interesting possibility!

Finalised Rules:
Challenge will typically run Monday-Sunday to try and account for time-zone differences.
  1. NO RESTRICTIONS on when the submissions were taken. New or archived images may be used freely.
  2. Don't worry about late submissions, submit them anyway! Just let us know that it's from a previous week so we don't get confused!
  3. Interpretation of the theme may be as creative, literal, or metaphorical as you please!
  4. The optional challenge is there for personal challenge only - it is entirely... optional!
  5. Each participant may also submit some keywords to be added to the pool for future challenges! See below for details.
  6. Have fun!

For keyword submissions, you may submit 1-3 keywords PER category PER week (so, up to nine, total, per week)!
  1. Subject: "the thing to be photographed" - the subject of the first challenge was "road" for instance.
  2. Modifier: "the thing to focus on in the subject - something that modifies it" - a concept or adjective - "desolation" was the focus of the first challenge.
  3. Style: this pretty much describes how to take the image - simple adjectives work well. "Portrait" was the style of the first challenge.

If you'd like to add an "optional challenge" to the pool as well, it'd be much appreciated! Just describe it as best you can and I'll convert it into the format for adding to the keyword-dictionary!

I add these for when I want to add difficulty to an easy challenge or to practice some basic concepts. For instance, one of my optional challenges is "strangers" - the challenge is that I can only take photos of strangers that I have sought and gained permission to photograph, which requires approaching them in the street. I've also had a lot of fun with the "30-shots only" challenge, harking back to the days of film photography which I never had a real chance to experience.

Please be aware that this random generator will be open-sourced, so eventually, anybody will be able to modify it as they please: keywords added through this challenge will be added to the "main" copy, and will always be used in this challenge.

One final foreword: this is my first challenge/minigame I've created on the forum, so any words-of-advice on improving the setup would be most appreciated!

So, without further ado...

Week № 00
Duration: 2020/01/12 > 2020/01/19 - sorry for the missed-days!
Judging: CPRobertson1

Subject: ROADS
Focus on: DESOLATION
Style: PORTRAIT
Optional Challenge: 20 shots of one subject - Take 20 shots of the SAME subject.

This week's challenge will use ROADS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of DESOLATION in a PORTRAIT style.

The optional challenge is: Single Lens - Do not change lenses: choose one and use it for the day!

Use only a single lens for the duration of your journey; choose beforehand and don't take any spare with you!

For bonus points, make it a prime lens!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to become intimately familiar with their lenses - and to practice footwork rather than merely zooming in (or out) of their subject)

Attached Files
File Type: txt 1-ROADS-DESOLATION-PORTRAIT.txt (766 Bytes, 114 views)

Last edited by cprobertson1; 01-24-2020 at 03:26 AM.
01-14-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shots need to be from the period?
01-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Shots need to be from the period?
Er... Im going to say "nah - go for anything!" - keep things simple - as long as it's submitted in-time I'm happy

I'll edit the rules to reflect it
01-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What a neat idea, will be keeping an eye out for something that fits.

Personally with the randomness of both themes and styles I think the fun is in interpreting it and actually going out to make an image that fits your vision, rather than searching a back catalogue to retroactively apply the theme. Just my 2 cents.

01-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the idea. I just completely lack the imagination - and patience - needed to combine all the factors into one image

Good luck wiith the challenge, though. Looking forward to seeing what people will come up with!
01-14-2020, 02:42 PM - 5 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Montana Interstate

It has been awhile for me posting anything but this sounds like a fun challenge and I'll start this one off when one from 2018. Portrait mode, a road, and it not only looks bleak it was! Sorry to have used an old photo but there is no way I would find anything in this area at this time of year.

Sorry, should have read the rules before joining the challenge. Didn't realize the winner would have to judge the following week and my schedule won't allow for that possibility as we are usually traveling and don't always have reliable internet. Great challenge though and I will definitely follow along to see what everyone comes up with.

Last edited by slowpez; 01-17-2020 at 07:42 AM.
01-14-2020, 03:17 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Ok, I will go too I guess. I admit though the parameters were hard for me to work with here.. But here we go... from today.

TYLER MILL ,CT

al

Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-14-2020 at 03:29 PM.
01-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
It has been awhile for me posting anything but this sounds like a fun challenge and I'll start this one off when one from 2018. Portrait mode, a road, and it not only looks bleak it was! Sorry to have used an old photo but there is no way I would find anything in this area at this time of year.

And now I've figured out a safety shot for the week. Time to head down to 160th street tonight or tomorrow. The other option for me I know I wouldn't be able to get my car out this time of year and even if I still had my jeep that would probably end up stuck too.
01-15-2020, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took at least 20 shots along this road. This was the last shot I made in 2019 actually. The entire time I was there there was no other car that passed in either direction. I was there 20-30 minutes. Just behind the trees on the right however is I-75 which you could hear easily so it didn't feel as isolated as it could have.

Generated from my Motorola o using tools.sportscard.trade
01-15-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Ok, I will go too I guess. I admit though the parameters were hard for me to work with here.. But here we go... from today.
At first it looked like the sign had taken a load of bird shot but it is screws, lots of screws.
01-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
At first it looked like the sign had taken a load of bird shot but it is screws, lots of screws.
Must be holding the tree together
01-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have no clue why they put all those screws on it.. from a distance I also thought it was shot at.

I will say though the "manager" of this area is a tad whacked.. she accused me once of using a metal detector there .It was my camera and tripod.
AL
01-16-2020, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I like the idea. I just completely lack the imagination - and patience - needed to combine all the factors into one image

Good luck wiith the challenge, though. Looking forward to seeing what people will come up with!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it too: there's even a couple of nice submissions in already! Just remember that you can creatively interpret the subject as much as you please - including juxtaposing the subject against its exact opposite. Postmodernist use of irony can also be a useful tool if you get stuck!

Hopefully, we'll see some of your work soon!

I'm actually having trouble taking a good shot for this myself (I'll submit but leave myself out the judging!) - this has been a crazy-busy week for some reason... SCUBA training on Tuesday, vistiors yesterday and today, father's birthday tomorrow, more visitors on saturday, and a job interview on sunday (yes, on sunday - the emergency services are cool that way).

Right, nothing else for it, I need to make time... early morning before I go to work. I can do it tonight/tomorrow: leave the house at 0500, that gives me two hours to figure out what Im going to do and do it, while meandering to work for 0730. Noice!

QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
What a neat idea, will be keeping an eye out for something that fits.

Personally with the randomness of both themes and styles I think the fun is in interpreting it and actually going out to make an image that fits your vision, rather than searching a back catalogue to retroactively apply the theme. Just my 2 cents.
I prefer that too - I like treating it as a sort of creative puzzle I wanted to keep things open and easy-going though, so I figured I shouldn't be too restrictive.

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I have no clue why they put all those screws on it.. from a distance I also thought it was shot at.

I will say though the "manager" of this area is a tad whacked.. she accused me once of using a metal detector there .It was my camera and tripod.
AL
**Snrk** - you mean to say that she's a bit... screwy!? I'll get my coat.
01-16-2020, 03:09 AM - 5 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone following the Australian bush fires may have seen a photo similar to this on Kangaroo Island. The bush on both sides of the road are no burnt out. Hopefully some rain soon will bring forth new growth. The white sticks you can see are from previous fires.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-16-2020, 03:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Interesting concept! I'll register my interest here and follow it up shortly!