Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2020, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I did somewhat journey to take this picture, it was 400 miles from home, though I only traveled about 20 miles from where I was this morning to take it, but my journey was only looking for some interesting photo opportunities. So the alternate was manual, I did shoot this in manual, but I used autofocus. I took 23 images at this location, walking up and down this road for about 15-20 minutes. It was curvy and narrow, so a little dangerous (low level) which was why I used autofocus (to speed it up a little), but only two vehicles passed by in that entire time. If I get the chance I'd like to go back in Spring or Fall, I think I can find it again

02-03-2020, 02:43 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week № 03 -- Flowing -- Forwards -- Insane

Week: № 03
Duration:2020/02/03--2020/02/09

Subject: FLOWING
Focus on: FORWARDS
Style: INSANE
Optional Challenge: Backtracking - Take photos only on the return journey!

This week's challenge will use FLOWING as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of FORWARDS in an INSANE style.

The optional challenge is: Backtracking - Take photos only on the return journey!

You may only take photos on the return leg of your journey - keep your eyes open on your way out and take a mental note of interesting photo opportunities. On your return journey, you may only photograph interesting photo opportunities that you remembered!

For added challenge, you must write down each opportunity you remembered at the END of your OUTWARD journey (before turning back); and can only photograph the opportunities that you listed!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to observe their surroundings for things they might have missed)
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0-FLOWING-FORWARDS-INSANE.txt (972 Bytes, 54 views)
02-04-2020, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Well, I did somewhat journey to take this picture, it was 400 miles from home, though I only traveled about 20 miles from where I was this morning to take it, but my journey was only looking for some interesting photo opportunities. So the alternate was manual, I did shoot this in manual, but I used autofocus. I took 23 images at this location, walking up and down this road for about 15-20 minutes. It was curvy and narrow, so a little dangerous (low level) which was why I used autofocus (to speed it up a little), but only two vehicles passed by in that entire time. If I get the chance I'd like to go back in Spring or Fall, I think I can find it again

I keep coming back to that photo - it brings back a memory of a walk I took near Inverawe - I followed a burn (gaelic/old English word for a watercourse anywhere between a small river and a stream, for those who might not be familiar with the term!) - we were out kayaking on the river Awe and somebody capsised and whacked their face on a rock - the group was split in two with two of us waiting for the rest to get back from the hospital.

While we were waiting, we went for a walk to kill time: were still in our wetsuits and garnered no shortage of curious onlookers! We walked along a burn and it opened up into a grassland bordering loch Etive - and your photo reminds me of the sense of relaxation and carefreeness (is that a word?) I experienced back then: I think it's the water and the open field that does it, with the sun in the background creeping through the trees!
02-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Subject: FLOWING

Focus on: FORWARDS

Style: INSANE

Optional Challenge: Backtracking - Take photos only on the return journey!
Good news! This mundane photo manages to tick all the boxes in some way or other.
Traffic is FLOWING towards me, which in the photo is FORWARDS, however cars on both sides of the street were moving in their own respective FORWARDS direction. At any rate, I was pretty close to the curb here, and some of the cars were moving faster than posted speed limits, both acts qualifying as INSANE (although the latter much less so). I was also on my WAY BACK FROM a conference this day and as always, had my camera with me to capture the sights of Hot Springs, Arkansas. The town shows both neglect and decay, but also an exciting resurrection on bath house row which used to be an international destination for natural hot springs bathing and hydrotherapy.

===========

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-1 mII  Photo 

Last edited by jcdoss; 02-09-2020 at 04:03 PM.
02-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Good news! This mundane photo manages to tick all the boxes in some way or other.
Traffic is FLOWING towards me, which in the photo is FORWARDS, however cars on both sides of the street were moving in their own respective FORWARDS direction. At any rate, I was pretty close to the curb here, and some of the cars were moving faster than posted speed limits, both acts qualifying as INSANE (although the latter much less so). I was also on my WAY BACK FROM a conference this day and as always, had my camera with me to capture the sights of Hot Springs, Arkansas. The town shows both neglect and decay, but also an exciting resurrection on bath house row which used to be an international destination for natural hot springs bathing and hydrotherapy.

===========
Nice! I like it - at first glance simple but with a ton of subtleties the more one looks! I like the composition - I'm not yet at the stage of doing that automatically, I still need to think a lot about my various angles (except when I just drop it on the rule-of-thirds grid and call it at a day!)

Im afraid my submission is late... partly because of the weather, and partly because the **** hit the fan yesterday... which was when I was aiming for the backup plan.

My original plan was to submerge myself in a river so that the shot was close to the water, showing the top half of my head in profile above the water as it flowed around me. Unfortunately... there's a massive storm, and I don't fancy drowning. I mean, sure, I could put my diving gear on and hide it beneath the water - but... just naw, that'd be insane!

I still want to carry out my backup plan - so I'll hopefully get that done this week! Time to put my WR lens to good use!

In the meantime, I had better get this week's challenge up - it's looking interesting - lots of room for creativity (I hope!)... but I'm still a little confused what a "stunted style" is... is the style itself stunted (as in undeveloped?)

Last edited by cprobertson1; 02-10-2020 at 12:51 AM.
02-10-2020, 12:49 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Edges--downwards--stunted

Week: №04
Duration:2020/02/10--2020/02/16

Subject: EDGES
Focus on: DOWNWARDS
Style: STUNTED
Optional Challenge: 20 shots of one subject - Take 20 shots of the SAME subject.

This week's challenge will use EDGES as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of DOWNWARDS in a STUNTED style.

The optional challenge is: 20 shots of one subject - Take 20 shots of the SAME subject.

On at least one occasion during your journey, you must take 20 DIFFERENT shots of that same subject! You are free to move around as you wish!

For added challenge, do this with EVERY subject you photograph!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to appreciate the subject and focus on different composition styles)
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0-EDGES-DOWNWARDS-STUNTED.txt (746 Bytes, 61 views)
02-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Double-Submission! Last weeks, AND this week!

First-up, Rainy Window, for "Flowing-Forwards-Insane" - maybe not the best fit, but it was lots of fun to take! It's cropped more than it really should be, but I don't mind!

And secondly, "The Ground beneath our feet", an archive shot for "Edges-Downards-Stunted".
This was taken back in June last year. I was asked several times why I was taking shots of the ground... I thought it looked nice...

This is actually the ground in the ruins of Carthage, located in the Baths of Antoninus. Couyld do with being sidelit, would have benefitted from more contrast - but time was short, and it was high noon!

I was rather hoping to take a more local floor-shot this weekend, but things have been going a bit floopy of late! Auch well - things can only get better... replete with doing more photography!

02-17-2020, 12:53 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №05
Duration:2020/02/17--2020/02/23

Subject: MATHEMATICAL PROGRESSION
Focus on: A STORY
Style: LOMOGRAPHY
Optional Challenge: Polarising Filter - Emphasise the use of a polarising filter

This week's challenge will use MATHEMATICAL PROGRESSION as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of A STORY in a LOMOGRAPHY style.

The optional challenge is: Polarising Filter - Emphasise the use of a polarising filter

All shots you take must make use of a polarising filter (CPL or otherwise). Either:
A) for each subject take multiple shots from different polarisations to both emphasise AND understate the use of the filter.

--OR--

B) Alternate between emphasising and de-emphasising the use of the filter for the duration of your journey.

(The purpose of this is to reinforce a practical understanding of polarising filters.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0-MATHEMATICAL PROGRESSION-A STORY-LOMOGRAPHY.txt (874 Bytes, 66 views)
02-18-2020, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #69
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A bit late, but I'll always put rule 2 as the first!

This week's challenge will use FLOWING as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of FORWARDS in an INSANE style.
Triggered by Jason's traffic image I found one - again, traffic flow, and rather insane IMHO. And looking at the speedo we're definitely going forward.

Quite obviously taken with a Ricoh GR
02-19-2020, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #70
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

This week's challenge will use MATHEMATICAL PROGRESSION as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of A STORY in a LOMOGRAPHY style.
Another sketchy one...
* Mathematical progression can mean linear, right? And one might say that the commuters look progressively smaller the further away from the camera they are. Umm, yeah.
* The story here has a rather thin plot, but it's the end of a working day and people hurry to wherever they're going next.
* I think the blurriness and scewed framing fits well in a Lomography style even if the GR doesn't have much of a quirky lens personality to exploit.

02-19-2020, 04:33 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
A bit late, but I'll always put rule 2 as the first!

Triggered by Jason's traffic image I found one - again, traffic flow, and rather insane IMHO. And looking at the speedo we're definitely going forward.

Quite obviously taken with a Ricoh GR
This reminds me of "playing" with a camera when I was a kid... we were on our way to New England Bay (near Stranrear) with the caravan and I was trying out my Dad's Canon Powershot S30 and I couldn't for the life of me take a good shot of our journey! I was... 11 or 12 at the time!

I'd quite like to see more shots taken from moving vehicles, actually - there's an interesting style there that hasn't been exploited much - though I'm not quite sure how to define it!

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Another sketchy one...
* Mathematical progression can mean linear, right? And one might say that the commuters look progressively smaller the further away from the camera they are. Umm, yeah.
* The story here has a rather thin plot, but it's the end of a working day and people hurry to wherever they're going next.
* I think the blurriness and scewed framing fits well in a Lomography style even if the GR doesn't have much of a quirky lens personality to exploit.

Love this shot! Was it shot from the hip? It very much captures that "moment in time/life" aesthetic!
02-19-2020, 05:13 AM   #72
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

This reminds me of "playing" with a camera when I was a kid... we were on our way to New England Bay (near Stranrear) with the caravan and I was trying out my Dad's Canon Powershot S30 and I couldn't for the life of me take a good shot of our journey! I was... 11 or 12 at the time!
It's a good thing that practice helps It's probably also a good thing that we progressed beyond the S30... My first "real" digital camera was a Powershot A70.

I'd quite like to see more shots taken from moving vehicles, actually - there's an interesting style there that hasn't been exploited much - though I'm not quite sure how to define it!
Hah, most of my shots from a moving vehicle can be defined as "bad"!

Love this shot! Was it shot from the hip? It very much captures that "moment in time/life" aesthetic!
Thanks! I guess it was shot more from chest/belly-height. I did look at the screen, and the tilt was intentional as was the slow shutter. It was all an attempt at making the shot look random, unplanned - which it sort of was, but in a planned way. If that makes sense

When shooting with the GR I tend to hold the camera in front of me with my thumbs on top (and use my thumb on the shutter button). If I stand still I will also tuck in my elbows to my sides. Even when shooting one-handed I often use the thumb on the shutter release.
02-19-2020, 06:40 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took photo class last year with weekly lessons. One of the weeks was what I believe you are referring to. The instructor call it drive pans or driving pans. Basically one pans the camera on a subject while riding in a car. When it work it works well but when it doesn't it turns into a hot mess and there are a lot of hot mess shots when trying to do it.
02-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I took photo class last year with weekly lessons. One of the weeks was what I believe you are referring to. The instructor call it drive pans or driving pans. Basically one pans the camera on a subject while riding in a car. When it work it works well but when it doesn't it turns into a hot mess and there are a lot of hot mess shots when trying to do it.
Ah! A bit like a pan-on-a-moving-subject but in-reverse, using the car as a dolly?

While a fun idea - I actually meant simply capturing driving itself from within a car (as a passenger, one would assume!) - sit in the back seat and take a shot or two of where you're going or where you've been... might even make an interesting collage. Wait... is "collage" on my list of keywords? I had better check that tonight...

I had also better get that uploaded to github or sourceforge - I keep procrastinating over it... like, for at least five weeks now O_o

--edit-- I've gone and done it...

I spent £20 on one of those little Q-mount 11.5mm shield mount lenses. It was either that or I built one myself! Wait... I can just build a lens! Totally doing that! Will be perfect for "fun" shots were IQ isn't an issue - and excellent for that Lomo feel!

Last edited by cprobertson1; 02-19-2020 at 10:03 AM.
02-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh wait.. that Q-mount lens... Has a Q-mount... Ah... Now I need to cancel that order... That was pretty dumb of me!

Last edited by cprobertson1; 02-19-2020 at 12:31 PM.