Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2020, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #151
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
DAYBREAK
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
daybreak!
Not gonna happen! Daybreak is now at half past four, give it another week or two and the sun will rise before 4 am

Then again, it's "worse" in e.g. Tromsų. After sunrise yesterday (at 1 am) they won't see another sunrise until 26th of July

05-18-2020, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not gonna happen! Daybreak is now at half past four, give it another week or two and the sun will rise before 4 am

Then again, it's "worse" in e.g. Tromsų. After sunrise yesterday (at 1 am) they won't see another sunrise until 26th of July
Brings back memories of Icebreaker duty North of Thule, Greenland. Really messes up your body clock when the sun never sets.
05-18-2020, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Sunrise here is fashionably late at 6:05 AM tomorrow, I just moved here a month ago, 700 miles but the same time zone, however sunrise at the old place tomorrow is 6:15, only 10 minutes difference. There is 42 minutes difference in the sunset time. We are getting 32 minutes less daylight here, but I would have thought it would be evenly spread. I guess that will reverse in 6 months.
05-18-2020, 11:37 PM   #154
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jquill Quote
Brings back memories of Icebreaker duty North of Thule, Greenland. Really messes up your body clock when the sun never sets.
I prefer that to how having little-to-no daylight at all messes up the body. I swear every winter is darker than the previous

I'd like to visit Greenland, but I suspect it'll never make it to the top of the list.

Sunrise here is fashionably late at 6:05 AM tomorrow, I just moved here a month ago, 700 miles but the same time zone, however sunrise at the old place tomorrow is 6:15, only 10 minutes difference. There is 42 minutes difference in the sunset time. We are getting 32 minutes less daylight here, but I would have thought it would be evenly spread. I guess that will reverse in 6 months.
I guess you have moved slightly east as well as north, then? You don't have to move far east-west to upset the sunrise-sunset equilibrium - a totally made-up term, btw

05-19-2020, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would folk prefer it if I re-generated, or made an alternative challenge? In fact, I'll just attach an "additional" random weekly challenge that people can use instead, if they prefer.

I'm afraid I've been biased as I always get up early for work anyway! I'm forgetting normal people don't get up at 0500!

I don’t have a lot of knowledge of these shorebirds and I think they can be difficult to identify. Anyway your comment was spot on, I was at a website yesterday telling how to distinguish between sanderlings and semipalmated sandpipers, which I got photos of both this weekend, I was lucky enough to get a photo of the sandpiper showing the semi webbed feet, and after seeing several photos you might differentiate them by body shape.

Now you’re forcing me to get up at daybreak!��. Lately I’ve been getting up late, although looking at this weeks weather here, it may not fly. Oh well!
Oh, I dunno - bad weather ++ sunrise can give some amazing views! Well... sometimes... There's a balance between terrible weather and sunrise - "red skies at morn" sort of thing!

I prefer that to how having little-to-no daylight at all messes up the body. I swear every winter is darker than the previous

I'd like to visit Greenland, but I suspect it'll never make it to the top of the list.

I guess you have moved slightly east as well as north, then? You don't have to move far east-west to upset the sunrise-sunset equilibrium - a totally made-up term, btw
Greenland (and Iceland) are on my list too - though I also want to visit the antarctic. My plan was to book passage on a container ship: sure, it may be a working-holiday, but that's part of the thrill!

I was about to retrofit an old program I used for tracking the position of the moon based on GPS coordinates and current time to give sunset and sunrise shift based on change in latitude, but I discovered that wikipedia actually has me covered!

Man, I love a good chart!

Seems like I should be getting almost 16 hours of daylight - let's check that up on time-and-date-dot-com, and... 16 hours, 31 minutes - pretty close!

It gives you an idea of the relationship of day length (and thus sunrise/sunset times) and latitude and longitude, by time of year. For more information on how it was calculated, check the wiki article on the sunrise equation

So, according to photopills, I need to be up for the sun rising at 0500. I can manage that, in principle!

As I said, though, I'll add in an "extra" challenge for those who prefer to not get up at ridiculous times! No harm in having an extra challenge after all! (In fact, the landscape challenge can also be twisted to fit this challenge too!) - enjoy!

So as not to upset the numbering, this "alternative" challenge will be added in only as an attachment.

---------- Post added 2020-05-19 at 01:05 ----------

Oh, something just occured to me...

The "Daybreak" random subject has "Strangers - ask strangers if you can take photos of them" optional challenge.

In the interest of safety, please:
A) do not approach random strangers at 4am... creepy...
B) do not approach random strangers at any other time either until lockdown/social distancing orders are relaxed
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0-GLORY-SOFTNESS-COMMANDING.txt (820 Bytes, 52 views)
05-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm afraid I've been biased as I always get up early for work anyway! I'm forgetting normal people don't get up at 0500!
At the end of January I retired, for several years I had got up at 4:50AM or earlier. I wondered how long that would take to break that habit, because I always woke up close to that time on weekends and vacations too. I think it only took about a week, maybe less. The mental work clock had broken.

I like that chart.
05-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #157
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I was about to retrofit an old program I used for tracking the position of the moon based on GPS coordinates and current time to give sunset and sunrise shift based on change in latitude, but I discovered that wikipedia actually has me covered!
That's a nice chart! Looks correct, too - I live at 60°N and 19 or so hours of daylight in June sounds about right ...and 5 or so "blue" hours in winter sounds about right, too

So, according to photopills, I need to be up for the sun rising at 0500. I can manage that, in principle!

That's the (only) good thing with winter - I don't have to get up early to catch the sunrise. Of course, if I can see the sun it means there are no clouds - which means it's a bloody cold morning...

There are three things I don't like about winter: the cold, the snow, and the darkness. In short, I don't like winters

At the end of January I retired, for several years I had got up at 4:50AM or earlier. I wondered how long that would take to break that habit, because I always woke up close to that time on weekends and vacations too. I think it only took about a week, maybe less. The mental work clock had broken.
Heh, I struggle with getting up at 6.30, and I have no problem breaking that "habit" every opportunity I get

05-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #158
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have not managed it any day this week! I'm sure I'll manage it tomorrow morning!

--EDIT--

Nope... 20mph winds, gusts of 40, and heavy rain... decided to not go for a walk in that weather at 0415... went back to bed.

Last edited by cprobertson1; 05-22-2020 at 02:36 AM.
05-25-2020, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #159
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №17
Duration:2020/05/25--2020/05/31

Subject: DECADENCE
Focus on: IMMODESTY
Style: CLOSE-UP
Optional Challenge: Contrast - Focus on contrast in your composition

This week's challenge will use DECADENCE as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of IMMODESTY in a CLOSE-UP style.

The optional challenge is: Contrast - Focus on contrast in your composition

All images you take must emphasise contrast. Either:
A) for each subject take multiple shots from different angles to both emphasise AND understate contrast.

--OR--

B) Alternate between high- and low-contrast shots for the duration of your journey.

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to appreciate and understand the role of contrast in their composition.)

The last challenge was... not terribly successful:
19th - "tomorrow! For certain!"
20th - "nah, I'm lazy"
21st - windy and rainy
22nd - windy and rainy
23rd - sleepy
24th - windy and rainy
25th - sleepy-sleepy
---EDIT---
26th - overcast and rainy
27th - Went back to bed after five minutes

As you can clearly see, I was very dedicated to this one! Tomorrow maybe?

Last edited by cprobertson1; 05-27-2020 at 01:01 AM.
05-29-2020, 04:08 AM   #160
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im struggling to find a source of "decadence" around my house - anybody got any suggestions? My only idea's so far have been post-modernistic approach... but whenever I try I end up channeling Andy Worhol and things can get weird. Sorry. Dad-joke.
05-29-2020, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #161
Pentaxian

I don't do decadent or immodest...
05-31-2020, 11:57 PM   #162
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №18
Duration:2020/06/01--2020/06/07

Subject: BIRDS OF PREY
Focus on: MORTALITY
Style: EXPERIMENTAL
Optional Challenge: Prime Lenses - Take 2 prime lenses - no zooming allowed! Use one on the outward leg of your journey, and the other your return leg!

This week's challenge will use BIRDS OF PREY as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of MORTALITY in an EXPERIMENTAL style.

The optional challenge is: Prime Lenses - Take 2 prime lenses - no zooming allowed! Use one on the outward leg of your journey, and the other your return leg!

Use exactly two prime lenses (of different focal lengths) on your journey. Choose beforehand which lenses you are taking. On the outward leg of your journey, you must use one of these prime lenses, swapping the lenses only at the half-way point of your journey.

For bonus points, backtrack along the same path with the second lens.

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to appreciate the difference of focal length and to emphasise the use of footwork rather than merely zooming in (or out) of their subject)

Birds of prey and mortality go well together! For those lacking the means to find a bird of prey, don't stress about it - a metaphorical bird of prey could mean anything that is fast and maybe predatory - for instance, is a racing car a "bird of prey"? What about a wasp or another carnivorous flying insect? If you live near an air force base... you probably shouldn't take pictures of them directly, but if you can catch them in the air, I'd happily call them a bird of prey! IF you're very brave, you could even call your significant other a bird of prey and monitor their reaction for signs of carnivory! Of course, you can also twist it to your heart's content! A bird? Some prey? I won't complain!
06-08-2020, 02:10 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Practically every day last month, I saw a kestrel on my way to work... this week, haven't even seen a pigeon or magpie! I'll hopefully go out a-stalking some birds in the near future. If I Can get a bright day, it'll be a good chance to get the 600mm F/8 mirror lens out

---------- Post added 2020-06-08 at 02:10 ----------

Week: №19
Duration:2020/06/08--2020/06/14

Subject: UTENSILS
Focus on: THAT WHICH IS LOST...
Style: MACRO
Optional Challenge: Single Lens - Do not change lenses: choose one and use it for the day!

This week's challenge will use UTENSILS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of THAT WHICH IS LOST... in a MACRO style.

The optional challenge is: Single Lens - Do not change lenses: choose one and use it for the day!

Use only a single lens for the duration of your journey; choose beforehand and don't take any spare with you!

For bonus points, make it a prime lens!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to become intimately familiar with their lenses - and to practice footwork rather than merely zooming in (or out) of their subject)
06-10-2020, 04:13 AM   #164
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was cycling to work this morning, and saw a box of spoons that had fallen off the back of the truck and burst everywhere... during my lunch break I cycled home to get my camera... only to discover someone had picked them up!

Talk about a kinda-weird missed-opportunity!
06-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #165
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

As you can clearly see, I was very dedicated to this one! Tomorrow maybe?

I've been "out of it" for months now, not at all being helped by working from home. I rarely find inspiration in too familiar surroundings, and the little travelling we've done has been to see the kids.

Reminds me, I should charge all the batteries. It's been a while for some of them.

I was cycling to work this morning, and saw a box of spoons that had fallen off the back of the truck and burst everywhere... during my lunch break I cycled home to get my camera... only to discover someone had picked them up!

Talk about a kinda-weird missed-opportunity!
Could hardly have been more spot on! Never leave the camera at home, eh