Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

I've been "out of it" for months now, not at all being helped by working from home. I rarely find inspiration in too familiar surroundings, and the little travelling we've done has been to see the kids.

Reminds me, I should charge all the batteries. It's been a while for some of them.

Could hardly have been more spot on! Never leave the camera at home, eh
Oh, I know the feeling - I'm kinda lucky in that I'm getting out to work on the weekdays - I would be going stark crazy were I working from home!

I wish I had stopped - I had my camera in my pocket... I didn't realise how appropriate it would have been until I got to work... then some spoon-hoarder went and picked them up! RUDE!

---------- Post added 2020-06-16 at 12:59 ----------

TWENTIETH WEEK CELEBRATION!

Week: №20
Duration:2020/06/16--2020/06/22

Subject: WHATEVER YOU WANT!
Focus on: ANYTHING!
Style: WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT!
Optional Challenge: Maximum of 30-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 30-shots

This week's challenge will use WHATEVER YOU WANT! as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of ANYTHING! in an WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT! style.

The optional challenge is: Maximum of 30-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 30-shots

Let us harken back to the days of film: you have only 30 shots to spend on your journey... use them wisely!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to plan and treasure every shot, and to use their resources sparingly)

06-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Man, I've been so inactive of late! I didn't even take a shot of "whatever I want" - I mean, come on!!! That's not true, I took some shots of my turbo-doggie, Hamish - will hopefully have them up soon once I have the energy to develop the raws.

Got an abstract topic this week: "countenance", which can has a ton of scope - it can refer to a person's facial expression, or merely their face; on the other hand it cam mean to "approve" or "tolerate", "support" or "patronise", or "to admit as acceptable or possible".

I had actually forgotten about the "face" part of its definition, and to make matters worse, in addition to that, I have also been using it in an archaic/obsolete way to mean a pretense. Whoopsies. To be fair I'll still use it in the archaic meaning - I'm cool that way.

Week: №21
Duration:2020/06/23--2020/06/29

Subject: COUNTENANCE
Focus on: EXTREMELY-LONG-EXPOSURE
Style: INSANE

This week's challenge will use COUNTENANCE as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of EXTREMELY-LONG-EXPOSURE in an INSANE style.

Let us harken back to the days of film: you have only 30 shots to spend on your journey... use them wisely!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to plan and treasure every shot, and to use their resources sparingly)
06-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №22
Duration:2020/06/29--2020/07/05

Subject: ELECTRONICS
Focus on: VIRILITY
Style: VINTAGE

This week's challenge will use ELECTRONICS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of VIRILITY in a VINTAGE style.

That pic of the TV I took for Week no.13 would have been good for this one.

I wonder if I can find any other abandoned electronics out there!
07-06-2020, 03:56 AM   #169
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №23
Duration:2020/07/06--2020/07/12

Subject: WRITING
Focus on: PROPHECY
Style: CASUAL
Optional Challenge: Leading Lines - Focus on leading lines in your composition

This week's challenge will use WRITING as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of PROPHECY in a CASUAL style.

The optional challenge is: Leading Lines - Focus on leading lines in your composition

All images you take must make use of leading lines.

To finish off, take 5 photos of the same subject, each using different sets of leading lines.

Repeat the process with another subject or two if you feel confident or want to experiment!

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of leading lines)

07-14-2020, 01:14 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №24
Duration:2020/07/14--2020/07/20

Subject: RIVERS
Focus on: LONG-EXPOSURE
Style: ARTISTIC
Optional Challenge: Shutter speed - Focus on the shutter speed setting when shooting

This week's challenge will use RIVERS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of LONG-EXPOSURE in an ARTISTIC style.

The optional challenge is: Shutter speed - Focus on the shutter speed setting when shooting

All images you take must emphasise the shutter speed. Take 2-3 shots of the same subject that 'show off' the difference that shutter speed makes. Finally, capture both a fast and a slow moving object with both a long and short shutter speed.

Using your Camera's Shutter-Priority Mode (usually marked 'Tv' or 'F') is advisable

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of the shutter speed corner of the exposure triangle.)

Hopefully I'l FINALLY make it out this time! =D Time to put that ND10 filter and those welding masks to use
07-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just noticed the shutter speed optional challenge is kinda superfluous for a "long exposure" focus challenge!

I've got two this week (I finally made it out!)

This was just a random idea I had - I like the concept but I'm not a huge fan of the resulting image. It'd benefit from some touching up I think - but even then the composition isn't terrific - I'd like to return to the idea of long exposure self-portraits though! Granted, each exposure was a minute and I tried 6 times to get it right... but it was still fun.

Not the best composition but I was kinda limited in where I could place the camera due to a high railing and being under a bridge at the time. Might have benefitted from a polarising filter but with the water being a little turbulent the effect wouldn't have been terribly noticable.

I've done better long-exposures of rivers in the past, but I really liked how the flora shone through at the top. I'd like to go back and try to capture more of those gross riverweeds!

--EDIT-- That green patch feel so unbalanced... I love the colour but not the placement... will see if I can re-crop it
--EDIT-2-- Nae chance. Too many bits of rubbish, fluffy things, and gross things ruining the shot to recrop. Oh well! I'll just need to reshoot it at some point
07-22-2020, 02:11 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the lateness! I upgraded from python 2 to 3 and ended up with an encoding error that just didn't want to go away. Fixed now though!

Week: №25
Duration:2020/07/22--2020/07/28

Subject: SUMMER
Focus on: TECHNIQUE
Optional Challenge: Strangers - Ask strangers if you can take photos of them

This week's challenge will use SUMMER as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of TECHNIQUE in an INSANE style.

The optional challenge is: Strangers - Ask strangers if you can take photos of them

You may only take photos of strangers you have sought (and gained) permission to photograph. Approach strangers on the street and ask (politely!) if they might mind if you captured some photos of them. If they say 'yes' then you're good to go! For added challenge, you may find it rewarding to pose them.

(The purpose of this is to encourage confidence in your photography, and in overcoming shyness. It also reinforces portrait photography.)

07-28-2020, 11:52 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the lateness... I muffed up! :P

Week: №26
Duration:2020/07/29--2020/08/04

Subject: STREAMS
Focus on: OVERGROWTH
Style: SPURIOUS

This week's challenge will use STREAMS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of OVERGROWTH in a SPURIOUS style.

The optional challenge is: Leading Lines - Focus on leading lines in your composition

All images you take must make use of leading lines.

To finish off, take 5 photos of the same subject, each using different sets of leading lines.

Repeat the process with another subject or two if you feel confident or want to experiment!

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of leading lines)
08-03-2020, 04:15 AM   #174
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №27
Duration:2020/08/03--2020/08/09

Subject: CROPS
Focus on: FOUND
Style: RETRO
Optional Challenge: Manual-only - Use only manual mode on your camera.

This week's challenge will use CROPS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of FOUND in a RETRO style.

The optional challenge is: Manual-only - Use only manual mode on your camera.

Set your camera to manual mode (usually marked 'M' or 'MANUAL'), and control each corner of the exposure triangle (ISO, Shutter speed, and Aperture) yourself. For added challenge, you may also disable autofocus (though many do this themselves anyway!)

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of the entire exposure triangle, and to intimately familiarise yourself with the controls of your camera.)
08-09-2020, 11:25 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №28
Duration:2020/08/10--2020/08/16

Subject: BIRDS OF PREY
Focus on: AUTHORITATIVENESS
Style: UNSPECIFIED
Optional Challenge: Self-Portrait - Focus on self-portrait photography

This week's challenge will use BIRDS OF PREY as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of AUTHORITATIVENESS in an UNSPECIFIED style.

The optional challenge is: Self-Portrait - Focus on self-portrait photography

All images you take must be self-portraits. At a minimum, you'll need a tripod and knowledge on using the on-camera timer, but a remote timer is more convenient.

(The purpose of this is to encourage a form of photography that is not often explored)

--NOTE: If anybody manages the optional challenge of taking a self portrait featuring a bird of prey that isn't also tied down, I will be very impressed!

Last edited by cprobertson1; 08-11-2020 at 11:31 PM.
08-11-2020, 11:31 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №29
Duration:2020/08/12--2020/08/18

Subject: PEBBLES
Focus on: UPWARDS
Style: LAZY
Optional Challenge: 20 shots of one subject - Take 20 shots of the SAME subject.

This week's challenge will use PEBBLES as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of UPWARDS in a LAZY style.

The optional challenge is: 20 shots of one subject - Take 20 shots of the SAME subject.

On at least one occasion during your journey, you must take 20 DIFFERENT shots of that same subject! You are free to move around as you wish!

For added challenge, do this with EVERY subject you photograph!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to appreciate the subject and focus on different composition styles)
08-24-2020, 01:30 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the missed week! I was away on holiday and outright forgot to post up!

Week: №30
Duration:2020/08/24--2020/08/30

Subject: RIPPLES
Focus on: DEEPITY
Style: STILL LIFE
Optional Challenge: 20 shots from one position - Take 20 shots while standing still.

This week's challenge will use RIPPLES as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of DEEPITY in a STILL LIFE style.

The optional challenge is: 20 shots from one position - Take 20 shots while standing still.

You must take 20 UNIQUE shots while keeping your feet firmly planted on the ground in one spot. Whatever else you do with your body is up to you! Bonus points for gymnastic contortions and the peculiar angles that may or may not result from them! Please don't hurt yourself though!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to observe and appreciate their surroundings, and notice things they may otherwise have missed)
08-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #178
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Subject: SUMMER
Focus on: TECHNIQUE

=====

SUMMER pool season allows for honing of floating
TECHNIQUE while I photograph leaning over the side of the 27th floor fire escape,
a move only describable as INSANE.
I have no idea who those STRANGERS are!
K-1 mII, M400f5.6

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2020 at 11:00 AM ----------

Subject: STREAMS
Focus on: OVERGROWTH
Style: SPURIOUS

=====

An ephemeral mountain STREAM
lined by rocks with mossy OVERGROWTH
is here today, gone tomorrow in SPURIOUS fashion.
Note LEADING LINES up the hill, hard to miss with any stream.

Pentax K-1 mII Ltd Silver, M50f1.7 & 1.4x-S, Peak Design travel tripod

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2020 at 11:10 AM ----------

Subject: CROPS
Focus on: FOUND
Style: RETRO
Optional Challenge: Manual-only - Use only manual mode on your camera.

=====

FOUND a good deal on Brussel's sprouts,
which are CROPS that most people don't like.
Almost ate them immediately, but RETROspectively would have regretted missing the shot.
I always shoot in MANUAL mode

K-1 mII, M50f4 Macro & 1.4x-S

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2020 at 11:13 AM ----------

Subject: BIRDS OF PREY
Focus on: AUTHORITATIVENESS
Style: UNSPECIFIED
Optional Challenge: Self-Portrait - Focus on self-portrait photography

=====

The hawk is a BIRD OF PREY
AUTHORITATIVELY sitting on this limb in the early morning light
waiting on some UNSPECIFIED small critter to become lunch.
Sorry, no SELFIE.

Pentax K-1 mII Ltd Silver, M*300f4

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2020 at 11:17 AM ----------

Subject: PEBBLES
Focus on: UPWARDS
Style: LAZY
Optional Challenge: 20 shots of one subject - Take 20 shots of the SAME subject.

=====

Two quartz PEBBLES
Sitting in an UPWARD facing palm
However, this photog is too LAZY
to take 20 SHOTS of this subject.

K-1 mII Ltd Silver, M35f2

Last edited by jcdoss; 08-24-2020 at 10:00 AM.
08-25-2020, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #179
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Noice! Lots of great work there! ::thumbs-up::

I love that wooden palm-and-pebbles and the long exposure of the mossy rocks; but my favourite image is imagining you hanging over that fire escape to take photos (that's totally the sort of thing I do when I'm on holiday!)
09-01-2020, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #180
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №31
Duration:2020/09/01--2020/09/07

Subject: ARCHITECTURE
Focus on: LONG-DOF
Style: FAVOURITE

This week's challenge will use ARCHITECTURE as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of LONG-DOF in a FAVOURITE style.

The optional challenge is: Strangers - Ask strangers if you can take photos of them

You may only take photos of strangers you have sought (and gained) permission to photograph. Approach strangers on the street and ask (politely!) if they might mind if you captured some photos of them. If they say 'yes' then you're good to go! For added challenge, you may find it rewarding to pose them.

(The purpose of this is to encourage confidence in your photography, and in overcoming shyness. It also reinforces portrait photography.)