09-08-2020, 02:22 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №32
Duration:2020/09/08--2020/09/14

Subject: SHADOWS
Focus on: FLOWING
Style: NIGHT-LIT
Optional Challenge: Shutter speed - Focus on the shutter speed setting when shooting

This week's challenge will use SHADOWS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of FLOWING in a NIGHT-LIT style.

The optional challenge is: Shutter speed - Focus on the shutter speed setting when shooting

All images you take must emphasise the shutter speed. Take 2-3 shots of the same subject that 'show off' the difference that shutter speed makes. Finally, capture both a fast and a slow moving object with both a long and short shutter speed.

Using your Camera's Shutter-Priority Mode (usually marked 'Tv' or 'F') is advisable

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of the shutter speed corner of the exposure triangle.)

09-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №33
Duration:2020/09/14--2020/09/20

Subject: DROPLETS
Focus on: INORGANIC SHAPES
Style: VINTAGE
Optional Challenge: Maximum of 30-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 30-shots

This week's challenge will use DROPLETS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of INORGANIC SHAPES in a VINTAGE style.

The optional challenge is: Maximum of 30-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 30-shots

Let us harken back to the days of film: you have only 30 shots to spend on your journey... use them wisely!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to plan and treasure every shot, and to use their resources sparingly)

Got the week off! Hopefully going to get this week and last week's challenges done! No idea hwt I'm doing for this weeks challenge, but for last week, I want to try going out at night with my diving torch and shining it at a river while taking a long exposure. Being a diving torch, I can submerge it with no problems, but I also want to play around with a polarising filter and also see what the reflections are like in a long exposure when the background isn't illuminated (just first order reflections and scattered light).

...So if I dissapear during the course of last week's challenge, it's because I got mugged and thrown in the river. Pretty rude of them.
09-21-2020, 01:37 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №34
Duration:2020/09/21--2020/09/27

Subject: PEOPLE
Focus on: SHORT-EXPOSURE
Style: NIGHT-LIT
Optional Challenge: Shutter speed - Focus on the shutter speed setting when shooting

This week's challenge will use PEOPLE as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of SHORT-EXPOSURE in a NIGHT-LIT style.

The optional challenge is: Shutter speed - Focus on the shutter speed setting when shooting

All images you take must emphasise the shutter speed. Take 2-3 shots of the same subject that 'show off' the difference that shutter speed makes. Finally, capture both a fast and a slow moving object with both a long and short shutter speed.

Using your Camera's Shutter-Priority Mode (usually marked 'Tv' or 'F') is advisable

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of the shutter speed corner of the exposure triangle.)

Sorry for the missed week! I've been decorating and not had access to my computer

I'll pre-gen a bunch of challenges so I can draw from them as-needed in future
09-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №35
Duration:2020/09/28--2020/10/04

Subject: WRITING
Focus on: MY TERMSNOISE
Style: EASY-GOING
Optional Challenge: Leading Lines - Focus on leading lines in your composition

This week's challenge will use WRITING as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of MY TERMSNOISE in an EASY-GOING style.

The optional challenge is: Leading Lines - Focus on leading lines in your composition

All images you take must make use of leading lines.

To finish off, take 5 photos of the same subject, each using different sets of leading lines.

Repeat the process with another subject or two if you feel confident or want to experiment!

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of leading lines)

10-04-2020, 11:32 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №36
Duration:2020/10/05--2020/10/11

Subject: WHATEVER THAT IS
Focus on: THE OTHER
Style: COMMANDING
Optional Challenge: Polarising Filter - Emphasise the use of a polarising filter

This week's challenge will use WHATEVER THAT IS as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of THE OTHER in a COMMANDING style.

The optional challenge is: Polarising Filter - Emphasise the use of a polarising filter

All shots you take must make use of a polarising filter (CPL or otherwise). Either:
A) for each subject take multiple shots from different polarisations to both emphasise AND understate the use of the filter.

--OR--

B) Alternate between emphasising and de-emphasising the use of the filter for the duration of your journey.

(The purpose of this is to reinforce practical understanding of polarising filters.)
10-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #186
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №37
Duration:2020/10/14--2020/10/20

Subject: LOVE
Focus on: IMPRESSIONIST
Style: PERSONAL
Optional Challenge: Maximum of 30-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 30-shots

This week's challenge will use LOVE as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of IMPRESSIONIST in a PERSONAL style.

The optional challenge is: Maximum of 30-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 30-shots

Let us harken back to the days of film: you have only 30 shots to spend on your journey... use them wisely!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to plan and treasure every shot, and to use their resources sparingly)
10-19-2020, 03:04 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №38
Duration:
Judging:

Subject: GLORY
Focus on: EPHEMERALITY
Style: DULL
Optional Challenge: Single Lens - Do not change lenses: choose one and use it for the day!

This week's challenge will use GLORY as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of EPHEMERALITY in a DULL style.

The optional challenge is: Single Lens - Do not change lenses: choose one and use it for the day!

Use only a single lens for the duration of your journey; choose beforehand and don't take any spare with you!

For bonus points, make it a prime lens!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to become intimately familiar with their lenses - and to practice footwork rather than merely zooming in (or out) of their subject)

10-19-2020, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #188
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been out of "real" photography for too long now, but I think/hope that the joy might be returning ever so slowly

In the meantime I will cheat once again and post something from the past

A glorious sunset, I'd say, and they are all rather short lived. I can assure you that the photographer is rather dull and so is his style most of the time!
10-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #189
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
10-26-2020, 12:55 AM   #190
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very nice! Good to see some photos coming back in! I'll need to get back into it myself - I've been in a little bit of a slump of late.

@Savoche - that's gorgeous - it reminds me of a spot near here where you can look across the Firth of Clyde to the Isle of Arran, though Arran is pointier and a bit closer than yours! That is a beautiful sunset though. I haven't actually managed to capture a truly beautiful sunset yet! Hopefully soon, you've inspired me

@Wasp - that's an interesting shot, in that I'm not quite sure exactly what I'm looking at... but I still can't stop looking at it! It has a dream-like quality to it... kind a reminds me of the light-painting technique now that I mention it! I like it

Thanks folks!

Week: №39
Duration:2020/10/26--2020/11/01

Subject: WINTER
Focus on: DEEPITY
Style: UNSPECIFIED
Optional Challenge: Backtracking - Take photos only on the return journey!

This week's challenge will use WINTER as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of DEEPITY in an UNSPECIFIED style.

The optional challenge is: Backtracking - Take photos only on the return journey!

You may only take photos on the return leg of your journey - keep your eyes open on your way out and take a mental note of interesting photo opportunities. On your return journey, you may only photograph interesting photo opportunities that you remembered!

For added challenge, you must write down each opportunity you remembered at the END of your OUTWARD journey (before turning back); and can only photograph the opportunities that you listed!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to observe their surroundings for things they might have missed)
11-02-2020, 04:33 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Week: №40
Duration:2020/11/02--2020/11/08

Focus on: MOTION
Style: CRITICAL
Optional Challenge: Maximum of 10-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 10-shots

This week's challenge will use PEOPLE as the subject matter, with a focus on the concept of MOTION in a CRITICAL style.

The optional challenge is: Maximum of 10-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 10-shots

You are only allowed to take TEN shots on your journey... you must plan ahead: choose your subject carefully; check your settings; and be on your toes! Use those shots wisely - you only have ten of them, after all!

(The purpose of this is to encourage photographers to plan and treasure every shot, only selecting the BEST of the best!)
11-02-2020, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #192
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Focus on: DEEPITY
You made me look that up

I'll add a winter shot even if I struggle to find anything seemingly profound about it. The triviality couldn't be more obvious, though.

11-02-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #193
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Focus on: MOTION
Style: CRITICAL
Optional Challenge: Maximum of 10-shots - Take a MAXIMUM of 10-shots
Ok, those are people and they are moving. Perhaps shot in more of a silly style than a critical one, but it's a critical moment for them wading into the slush

And I believe I took only one picture of these guys.

11-02-2020, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #194
Veteran Member

Original Poster

One from last week's "Winter-deepity-unspecified" - I've behind!

@Savoche - deepity - heck, it has a deep depth of field - what more could you ask for That is such a nice looking place - a winter wonderland: crisp and clear! My favourite!
@Savoche - aww, I love that reflection - where abouts is that? It kind a reminds me of some of the buildings in St. Petersburg!
11-03-2020, 12:13 AM   #195
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

deepity - heck, it has a deep depth of field - what more could you ask for That is such a nice looking place - a winter wonderland: crisp and clear! My favourite!
Yes, it is a nice place, inland from here and at a higher altitude, so they usually get a lot of snow, still.

It kind a reminds me of some of the buildings in St. Petersburg!
It's the (then) train central in Oslo, indeed built in the Renassaince Revival style similar to buildings from the same era in St. Petersburg. The building is now more of a shopping centre and hotel but still an integral part of the newer and larger central train station complex.