Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I was going to join in with my 18-135, but it is overshadowed by every lens in this thread
Oh, Heck no! The 18-135 is an incredible lens! Until recently , I've travelled for months with only that lens, and in almost all situations it has proven more than adequate to the task. I wish I could find a similar WR lens suitable for full frame at that price.
The 18-135 is a lens that is perfect for SIC, because it is so versatile, with an IQ that rivals more expensive lenses. IT's WR capability means you can brave any adverse conditions to get a great shot. Don't make me double-dog dare you to use this lens in SIC, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I urge you to rise to the challenge!
"Gentlemen Pentaxians now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not using an 18-135mm on APS-C,
And hold their inferior lenses cheap whiles any speaks
That captured images with it for February's 29 days."

02-01-2020, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Things run fast Some folks have already posted February pictures and I didn't even dig out my lens from the drawer
02-01-2020, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
!

#applause
02-01-2020, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I’ll attempt it again, poorly as per I’m sure.
Lens undecided.
Lens will be the SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 that I have just rid of fungus. It’s a lovely little lens, smooth focus ring on this example too.

02-01-2020, 04:42 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens will be the SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 that I have just rid of fungus. It’s a lovely little lens, smooth focus ring on this example too.
Can you outline how you cleared your lens of fungus? One of my recent acquisitions looks like it needs some treatment....
02-01-2020, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
#applause
Thank you, it just happens that 2020 marks the 30th anniversary of Branagh's "Henry V" a film that made me think that Shakespeare guy did have something to say that would be meaningful to a knuckle-dragging Soldier like me. Since then, I've seen most of his plays performed, and gained an appreciation of theater in general.
02-01-2020, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Can you outline how you cleared your lens of fungus? One of my recent acquisitions looks like it needs some treatment....
Sure! So the lens only had fungus on one of the rear two elements, but inside the element assembly.
Unscrewed the 3 screws on base, remove mount section, remove ring for controlling aperture with lever.
Unscrew rearmost element assembly (containing two elements), unscrew front of those two assembly with lens spanner to free element.
Clean all with methanol (using safety precautions) to remove fungus (though I could also have used hydrogen peroxide, typically 12%). Leave dry, clean again with naphtha, leave dry. Rub carefully with dry, clean micro fibre cloth.
Blower inside assembly in relatively dust free environment to remove any stray dusts.
Reassemble in reverse.

I’ll also look to remove the front element and clean that as there’s some light oil spots or dust visible, but after I buy some lens removal rubber rings.

There’s usually some good disassembly guides online (I prefer YouTube ones as I cope well with visual learning). A good set of JIS screwdrivers is paramount, as is a lens spanner. To be clear, this was my first lens disassembly and it went smoothly. Just take your time and I’m sure you’ll have zero issues.

02-01-2020, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Oh, Heck no! The 18-135 is an incredible lens! Until recently , I've travelled for months with only that lens, and in almost all situations it has proven more than adequate to the task. I wish I could find a similar WR lens suitable for full frame at that price.
The 18-135 is a lens that is perfect for SIC, because it is so versatile, with an IQ that rivals more expensive lenses. IT's WR capability means you can brave any adverse conditions to get a great shot. Don't make me double-dog dare you to use this lens in SIC, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I urge you to rise to the challenge!
BEST.....POST.....EVER!

I SIC'd with it in September and it nearly replaced my triumvirate of limited for my trip to Cadiz. We are going back next year and it is pencilled in. I feel I need to go back to basics and what better to do it with than the 18-135 so, I am in
02-01-2020, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I feel I need to go back to basics and what better to do it with than the 18-135 so, I am in
A nice solid manual normal prime could be even better in going back to basics. Like M40 I'm shooting this month
02-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
A nice solid manual normal prime could be even better in going back to basics. Like M40 I'm shooting this month
Lol. I LOVE Pentax-M but only have the two (50mm f2 lovely, and 135mm f3.5) I need a lens I don't have to think too much about. The last two (1958 CZJ tessar & Mr fishy) I had to think about a lot
02-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #41
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I need a lens I don't have to think too much about.
For that purpose 18-135 is pretty much perfect. First years in Pentax world it was my only lens and I really didn't miss an other, but in the end it was more challenge what I needed. Life with 18-135 on program mode is too easy
02-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
For that purpose 18-135 is pretty much perfect. First years in Pentax world it was my only lens and I really didn't miss an other, but in the end it was more challenge what I needed. Life with 18-135 on program mode is too easy
I have a bad habit of missing the basics, Iso too high, aperture wrong, IS switched off etc. I want to try to iron those stupid mistakes out of my photography and the plan is to do it this month then go back to something bonkers I do after all have a k mount vivitar series 1 105mm f2.5 macro sitting in a box, waiting to play
02-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #43
Pentaxian

In with the Auto-Takumar 55mm 1:2.2
02-01-2020, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure! So the lens only had fungus on one of the rear two elements, but inside the element assembly.
Unscrewed the 3 screws on base, remove mount section, remove ring for controlling aperture with lever.
Unscrew rearmost element assembly (containing two elements), unscrew front of those two assembly with lens spanner to free element.
Clean all with methanol (using safety precautions) to remove fungus (though I could also have used hydrogen peroxide, typically 12%). Leave dry, clean again with naphtha, leave dry. Rub carefully with dry, clean micro fibre cloth.
Blower inside assembly in relatively dust free environment to remove any stray dusts.
Reassemble in reverse.

I’ll also look to remove the front element and clean that as there’s some light oil spots or dust visible, but after I buy some lens removal rubber rings.

There’s usually some good disassembly guides online (I prefer YouTube ones as I cope well with visual learning). A good set of JIS screwdrivers is paramount, as is a lens spanner. To be clear, this was my first lens disassembly and it went smoothly. Just take your time and I’m sure you’ll have zero issues.
Kudos! I'm not sure I'm willing to risk disassembly of such a valuable lens though - I'm talking about a K 15/3.5 aspherical, of which there are only about 100 in existence. I'll probably just suck it up and get a professional to look at it.

I really should just return it and get a refund, as it is clearly not in the described condition, but I might never find another one
02-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Kudos! I'm not sure I'm willing to risk disassembly of such a valuable lens though - I'm talking about a K 15/3.5 aspherical, of which there are only about 100 in existence. I'll probably just suck it up and get a professional to look at it.

I really should just return it and get a refund, as it is clearly not in the described condition, but I might never find another one
Definitely get that seen to! By someone particularly reputable, especially as it’s clearly valuable and obviously few and far between.