Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #61
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
So do most of the world - but I have started following ISO 8601 and write it yyyy-mm-dd, mainly because it makes it so much easier to sort by date (but also because it makes more sense since we write time hh:mm:ss). Anyway, it also makes slightly more sense of pi day again

That said, the American way of writing dates is completely bonkers - it's like writing time as mm:ss:hh

that's us - bonkers....

(:

03-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #62
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
that's us - bonkers....

(:
Yep. Why should you be any better than the rest of us?
03-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #63
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. Why should you be any better than the rest of us?
no idea.... just as nuts here as anywhere else....
03-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I only use Julian dates.

03-15-2020, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
If you want a really interesting can of worms then look into the Tau vs Pi debate. An American mathematician called Vi Hart has some great videos on YouTube.

We should definitely make it a theme for July, the ratio for the crop of the wave is really cool.
I had no idea where this would lead. Great fun, appreciate the tip.

And yes, re. Pi theme for July 22
03-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So do most of the world - but I have started following ISO 8601 and write it yyyy-mm-dd, mainly because it makes it so much easier to sort by date (but also because it makes more sense since we write time hh:mm:ss). Anyway, it also makes slightly more sense of pi day again
International Standards? That's just plain alarmist!
03-16-2020, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

That said, the American way of writing dates is completely bonkers - it's like writing time as mm:ss:hh

That’s certainly how I name my folders of RAWs - and my karate training videos - in the computer. As you say, it sorts properly.

03-16-2020, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I've just heard that my school is closed until further notice. Apparently under Boris's new rules over a quarter of the staff can't come in.
That should be good for my photography.
03-17-2020, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #69
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I've just heard that my school is closed until further notice. Apparently under Boris's new rules over a quarter of the staff can't come in.
That should be good for my photography.
I'm forced to work from home, which is not good for my photography. I need to get better at working less when at home - shorter days and more breaks. It's too easy to sit just one more hour to get something done. My shoulders are complaining already.

The good thing is that I get a lot more done. It is when I sit at home I realise just how bad those blasted open plan offices are for productivity.
03-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The good thing is that I get a lot more done. It is when I sit at home I realise just how bad those blasted open plan offices are for productivity.
I've taken to wearing headphones when trying to be productive in our busy little office. It means people don't talk to me unless they really need to. I also managed to get a huge amount done at home today.
03-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is when I sit at home I realise just how bad those blasted open plan offices are for productivity.
I agree!
I've taken to wearing headphones when trying to be productive in our busy little office.
I often have the headphones on in my office without music playing, it just insulates me from the noise and distractions. It's not that so many people are chattering about nothing, actually many of them are talking about interesting things, and that is almost more distracting.
03-18-2020, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

I've taken to wearing headphones when trying to be productive in our busy little office. It means people don't talk to me unless they really need to. I also managed to get a huge amount done at home today.
I do the same when working from home. I've always found it best to treat working from home like working from the office just no commute. Schedule for me is important in this as is blocking out distractions. I do find that my most productive time seems to shift to later in the day like it was during my college days though. I have my staff working from home part time now because of Covid 19 and we just got notice that the NYC Department of Buildings will start taking digital filings (no more signing and sealing triplicate sets of drawing and forms - Yea!). Printing documents for issue and review will now be curtailed and we get save more than a few trees. So we will probably go to only coming to the office only as needed, unless the Governor of the state decides that for us.
03-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
the NYC Department of Buildings will start taking digital filings
Hopefully this event will force a lot of agencies to finally get into the 21st century and shift more ops and paperwork to online filings.
03-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #74
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a pair of good noice-cancelling headphones, and they do help. But I tend to get a headache if I use them for more than a couple of hours in a day. And they don't remove the visual noise of people walking past my desk. We are simply too many in too small an office.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I agree!

I often have the headphones on in my office without music playing, it just insulates me from the noise and distractions. It's not that so many people are chattering about nothing, actually many of them are talking about interesting things, and that is almost more distracting.
If it's not too noisy that can work, but most often I have to play music to drown out the noise. And yeah, most of the talk is relevant for what people do - it's just not relevant for everybody all the time, which makes it noise more than anything else anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I do the same when working from home. I've always found it best to treat working from home like working from the office just no commute. Schedule for me is important in this as is blocking out distractions. I do find that my most productive time seems to shift to later in the day like it was during my college days though. I have my staff working from home part time now because of Covid 19 and we just got notice that the NYC Department of Buildings will start taking digital filings (no more signing and sealing triplicate sets of drawing and forms - Yea!). Printing documents for issue and review will now be curtailed and we get save more than a few trees. So we will probably go to only coming to the office only as needed, unless the Governor of the state decides that for us.
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Hopefully this event will force a lot of agencies to finally get into the 21st century and shift more ops and paperwork to online filings.
That might be one good thing following all of this. We are forced to actually make use of the 21st century solutions which too many resist as long as they are allowed to. I don't think going back to the old ways will be easy should anybody want to try.

Or I may be an optimist
03-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #75
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking of optimism - or lack thereof. I don't seem to get going with the photography again. Too many people to worry about, I guess, in addition to the whole staying at home thing. I'll stop trying for a while so it doesn't become just another chore not being done.