Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 11:29 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're using it wrong

Lets see those images of you using some photographic gear completely wrong and ending up with some interesting images. Why would you use something wrong, that's easy because you can.

I got this idea from seeing some images shot with the auto 110 70mm f/2.8 lens when reverse mounted on a K-1. I would bet there are lots of fun awfulness that shows up when using something completly wrong. Also I've seen a number of posts lately of people doing rather strange things with some enjoyable results. Like the body cap pinhole shot hand held or a monster nikon lens with a teleconverter and a custom hood. Also acceptable things would be custom made lenses or lenses re purposed from other things like what one finds in the impossible lens club. Personally I don't want this to be people sticking 6x7 or 645 lenses on a K-mount camera as we should all know what to expect there lets have some fun.

One thing I do ask is that when posting a picture please tell how you used things wrong so that others can play with and learn from it.

I'll start things off with an image I took last weekend.
A reverse mounted DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro on a 17-31mm helicoid on my K-3ii. The aperture lever was controlled by hand and was somewhere between f/10 and f/16. Having that lens reverse mount on that helicoid it focuses from a little past infinity into the macro range.

02-25-2020, 12:41 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A couple of years ago I took apart a cheap Miranda 70-210mm zoom and played around with some of the lens elements. At first I used just the front element and made a single element telephoto to see how that worked. The centre was surprisingly sharp, but the corners were perhaps just a little bit soft. . .

Then I took one of the middle groups of elements and used them to make a sort of circular fisheye thing that screwed onto the front of my Takumar 28mm. The field of view in these is actually close to 180 degrees, although it doesn't really look like it because of the circular effect.

So much fun just from taking a £5 zoom to bits.
02-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
neat!! have a few zooms that I could try like that!
02-25-2020, 08:12 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

my one trick pony....mir-1b 37/f2.8 m42 with the front element reversed.....(so far the only lens I have been able to do so with I've tried on a few others but no go)

02-25-2020, 09:17 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a reversed M 20mm f4 hanging off the end of my 100mm f4 Macro to get this result...

02-29-2020, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

P&B tele-vivitar 200/f3.5 preset has haze and mounted on M42 adapter that has the flange on it not allowing infinity focus.....turned out rather neat...k-50

03-01-2020, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple of years ago I took apart a cheap Miranda 70-210mm zoom and played around with some of the lens elements
I have an old 70-210 (I think it is a vivitar but not a series 1) that I picked up for $5 at a pawn shop that has some problems that I didn't know to look for when I got it. I used it once hated it. Now I think I know what its final fate may be.

12-08-2020, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Cool thread! I've posted this elsewhere, but this is another suitable venue.

This is a twofer: I'm using a lens in reverse (DA 35mm f2.4), with a de-glasseed Pentax K lens to Nikon F body adapter, with aperture control, to operate the 35mm's diaphragm.

Here's the adapter:

Here's what the reversed Fantastic Plastic can do on the KP:

and at 100%:

Another:

and again at 100%:

So, two wrongs do make a right!

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
A reverse mounted DFA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro on a 17-31mm helicoid on my K-3ii. The aperture lever was controlled by hand and was somewhere between f/10 and f/16. Having that lens reverse mount on that helicoid it focuses from a little past infinity into the macro range.
This sounds a lot like a set-up that Lester Lefkowitz mentions in passing in The Manual of Close-Up Photography (highly recommendd!). On page 106, he shows a rig combining a reversed 70-210 on 63mm of extension tubes, which goes from 3x macro, to infinity! How many macro set-ups cover that sort of range? Not many. I'd had the book for a while before I noticed this example. I didn't even know this was even possible (and workable) until I came across this. I put it together from parts I had, just to satisfy myself that it would work, and it does! It'sheavy and akward, but works as advertised. I didn't do much more than try some quick indoor shots, but nothing really worth showing. I'll have to revisit this combination and try it out some more, just for the hell of it!
12-08-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
There is a reversed M 20mm f4 hanging off the end of my 100mm f4 Macro to get this result...
I kind of want to stuff my Laowa 12mm reversed inside the hood of my Rokinon 135mm (the hoods nest together quite nicely) and see what kind of macro I get with that. From my understanding I should end up at a bit more than 11x or so. At some point I also need to do some more shots with the auto 110 70mm reversed on a k-mount body but also want to do the same with the 77ltd.
12-09-2020, 04:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Lets see those images of you using some photographic gear completely wrong and ending up with some interesting images. Why would you use something wrong, that's easy because you can.

I got this idea from seeing some images shot with the auto 110 70mm f/2.8 lens when reverse mounted on a K-1. I would bet there are lots of fun awfulness that shows up when using something completly wrong. Also I've seen a number of posts lately of people doing rather strange things with some enjoyable results. Like the body cap pinhole shot hand held or a monster nikon lens with a teleconverter and a custom hood. Also acceptable things would be custom made lenses or lenses re purposed from other things like what one finds in the impossible lens club. Personally I don't want this to be people sticking 6x7 or 645 lenses on a K-mount camera as we should all know what to expect there lets have some fun.

One thing I do ask is that when posting a picture please tell how you used things wrong so that others can play with and learn from it.

I'll start things off with an image I took last weekend.
Great thread idea, and I do like that image. I'll have to figure out how to use something wrong (well, I mean a different wrong from my current wrong) to post here...
12-09-2020, 04:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

A couple of years ago I took apart a cheap Miranda 70-210mm zoom and played around with some of the lens elements. At first I used just the front element and made a single element telephoto to see how that worked. The centre was surprisingly sharp, but the corners were perhaps just a little bit soft. . .

Then I took one of the middle groups of elements and used them to make a sort of circular fisheye thing that screwed onto the front of my Takumar 28mm. The field of view in these is actually close to 180 degrees, although it doesn't really look like it because of the circular effect.

Those circular shots are great Dave. I'd love to visit Dartmoor at some point - there's something special about barren (in appearance) landscapes. But I do have a beef with strong winds...
12-09-2020, 04:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote

Very moody - I do like the processing too.
12-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
Very moody - I do like the processing too.
Almost time of the year to try my hand at this again... Seasonal Macro shooting - what can you do...
12-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Very cool! I've got a bunch of lens bits. I'll have to see if any of them can do this trick!