Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2020, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

PP Challenge #327

Thanks to todd for hosting the previous one, and with such a challenging image.

For #327 I have dug up an old shot from Deadvlei in the Namib desert. It's quite a bit underexposed but there's still a lot of detail in the shadows. I did actually bracket this ±2 stops, but as this is a challenge I'll give just this frame to work with

And now I got itchy feet. Itchy feet and banned from travelling for... how long?

Link to the DNG and a full-size JPEG.

The challenge will close on Sunday 20th of April, let's say around 18h00 GMT.

Also, feel free to post more than one version.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For the next host:
The Mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Last edited by savoche; 04-13-2020 at 11:05 AM.
04-13-2020, 10:01 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Haven't done one of these before, but I think it's I good way to work on my PP skills, and I presume I just put my take here?

Nothing fancy done, just getting a usable image, and I figured that 1:1 isn't ever used enough... feel free to criticise

04-13-2020, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for a great photo to work on. Third try.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by mariwalt; 04-15-2020 at 10:35 AM.
04-13-2020, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oooh, a fresh one! Welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I presume I just put my take here?
Yep, that's correct. And yes, getting to work on one's PP skills is the point of the challenge. And It's not in the spirit of the challenge to criticise anyone or anything. All and any editing, light or heavy-handed, sensible or outrageous, is welcome.

Umm, and I haven't set an end date yet. Will do, thanks for reminding me

04-13-2020, 05:59 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

04-14-2020, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

A wonderful image to work with, savoche.

Last edited by JHfwp; 07-27-2020 at 12:43 PM.
04-15-2020, 08:10 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

04-16-2020, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Nice image to work with. Here's mine.

Last edited by jmacias; 11-21-2020 at 03:33 PM.
04-17-2020, 10:40 AM - 3 Likes   #9

First time doing a PPC edit. It's interesting working on some other photographer's image and seeing how others approach PP of the same image.
Attached Images

04-17-2020, 01:01 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's mine.

Last edited by tuggie76; 06-23-2020 at 06:38 PM.
04-17-2020, 06:42 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An excellent image to work with, thanks Savoche for allowing us to work with an image of a location that many of us may never get to.

PP was in On1 PhotoRAW 2020. As I finally got to this several days late I went looking for something different to those versions created already. I went with a style I like to consider for the challenges where I get away from the natural colours, even though there's some awesome colours to work with. This is the version I created.

Of course our host gave us the opportunity work on a couple of versions, so why not. This is the same image with one extra step.

There's some strong versions already, so it will be exciting to see who our host picks this time around. As usual that's not going to be an easy task, so good luck everyone.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 04-17-2020 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Replace images for colour corrected versions
04-18-2020, 03:42 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

A great photo to work with. I've tried like this:

04-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Whoa! Lots of great entries

I'm a bit behind schedule, so will get around to going through them tonight. Well, tonight European time.

Thanks for the entries, and sorry for the delay!
04-20-2020, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, that gives me time to submit, processed these last week already.

04-20-2020, 01:41 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll start off by thanking you for spending time working on my image. I'm thrilled to see so many interpretations, and most of them quite far from my own attempts. I have to revisit my Namibia images with new eyes now.

A few quick words to each entry:

bertwert
Good to see you joining in on the fun I hadn't really considered cropping to 1:1, but I think it works well. So does the well balanced and natural look.

mariwalt
Certainly an otherworldly take on things. The dramatic lifting of the shadows really pulls the dead tree forward, despite the lively colours on sky and dunes.

Glenn5995
B6W was another approach I hadn't considered - I've been too focused on the red dunes. Then going for a portrait crop really puts the emphasis on the tree. The sloping U shape of the dunes adds to this, I think.

JHfwp
Beautiful work on the tree. The darkened sky puts me more in an evening mood than a morning mood. Interesting effect. Nice ripples in the dunes.

todd
Another nice b&w. Good detail in the tree but also distinct ripples in the dunes as a balance. The 4x5 crop works well, too.

jmacias
Another portrait crop! I did not expect that. Slightly more centred, but still with the U shape of the dunes "supporting" the tree. Excellent work on bringing up those shadows. 10 years on the K-5 still has a fantastic sensor.

Old Dog
Welcome to the game! Not afraid of jumping in with both feet - good! The most radical crop of the day. I'm beginning to think I framed this all wrong I think the high-key processing gives a slightly eerie mood, and maybe letting the background trees get some more attention. And of course the flip makes the image stand out, especially for one who has spent too many hours on these desert images!

tuggie76
Very close to how I remember the colours on the dunes and the sky that day, buth in hue and intesity (but hey, I love these arid landscapes, I might have a vivid recollection...). The cooler tint on the tree separates it well from the background.

Tas
Namibia is well worth a visit Interesting "vintage" approach on your edits. You've managed to deviate from the natural colours but still make them feel real. I find your second image strangely appealing even though I don't usually like added paper structures. I guess I need to get some matte cotton canvas, now...

pixie
A convincingly natural look, IMO. The still relative high contrast between tree and background does it, I think. I can almost feel the still chilly morning as it gives way to a scorchingly hot day.

noelcmn
As if this wasn't difficult enough already you had to bring three edits Three quite distinct edits at that. I'm not sure the rangers would look kindly upon your tidying up Deadvlei! Admittedly it does give the scene a cleaner look, though. Good cloud details in all of them, but I think the dunes look best in the two last ones.

Umm, that ended up with more than a few words, didn't it Oh well, on to the hard part...

To my surprise I ended up with b&w edits for the two top spots; the runner up being todd with all the lovely detail, but with the top spot going to Glenn5995 and the crop I liked the most.

Cograts to @Glenn5995