Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 156 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2020, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #16

Photos: Albums
I think I feel a Helios 44M 58/2 coming on....

04-28-2020, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'd love to see your work with the A24-50. It's a relatively unheralded lens which punches well above its weight division.
I have to agree, I really like my copy and could be tempted to use it too. Big advantage being that is about half a ton lighter than this month's 35-105.
04-30-2020, 12:04 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
We'll see how it goes. Frankly, I'm very busy, be even worse, I'm somewhat uninspired.

I am finding this guy's videos gives me some ideas

Behind The Scenes :: Show & Tell :: Portrait of Leigh - YouTube
I started watching video and enjoy his discussion of the setup.

I have been out of the Single In for a few months and have missed the consistency it helps build, even though I've typically been a bit inconsistent with the challenge. But it turns out that I miss fewer days when I am doing the challenge that when I am just shooting when I am inspired. So, I am also in for May. I'll go with the 645Z and the Helicoid extension tube and some to be determined lens. The Helicoid Extension tube came with a 645N I purchased a few years ago but I have never tried to do much with it on the Z. So here goes. If anyone has any recommendations on what lens to use with it I open to suggestions.
04-30-2020, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll saddle up with the DFA645 55/2.8, as was my plan for April.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-30-2020 at 02:22 AM.
04-30-2020, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I've just completed my write up for April and I really enjoyed using the Tak - such a different experience to my A series lenses.
Been teetering over joining in May or not - I've been called back into work for the first two weeks - but I have decided to run with it.

Going to use last months planned lens (before 55 fever took over) - my sorely overlooked SMC FA 80-320.
I bought this lens new on 28th June 2002 at 1610 - one of the last I believe - to match up with my trusty MZ30 and Sigma 28-105 - we were spending a lot of time at the wildlife park with the boys.
It cost back then £169.90 so I don't think todays prices for lenses are too bad at all - luckily I had £200 of vouchers from my credit card company to pay for it so It's always been free to me
So that's me then Silver FA 80-320 and Silver K-1 - perfect!
05-01-2020, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I've just put the not much loved Tamron Adaptall 70-150mm 1:3.5 (QZ- 150M) on my camera. It has a macro mode so it should be versatile enough for a month of shooting. I actually just bought it for the K-mount adaptall adapter.
05-01-2020, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to join iheiramo with another M120/2.8.

I've not used my copy of this lens a lot but when I have, I've been happy with the images.

05-01-2020, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

tamron

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I've just put the not much loved Tamron Adaptall 70-150mm 1:3.5 (QZ- 150M) on my camera. It has a macro mode so it should be versatile enough for a month of shooting. I actually just bought it for the K-mount adaptall adapter.
I love the classic tamron packaging, those colours bring back memories of the 80's, hopefully the lens will deliver happiness as well
05-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #24
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I'm going to join iheiramo with another M120/2.8.

I've not used my copy of this lens a lot but when I have, I've been happy with the images.
Superb! I'm quite taken by this lens. I've been waiting to get my hands on it again in SIC.
05-02-2020, 04:19 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Superb! I'm quite taken by this lens. I've been waiting to get my hands on it again in SIC.
Yes, I think it is one of the best M's along with the M85/2 and M50/1.7. The rendering of the M35/2 I like as well.
05-02-2020, 05:16 AM   #26
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I think it is one of the best M's along with the M85/2 and M50/1.7. The rendering of the M35/2 I like as well.
Indeed, thought I'd like to add couple of lenses to the top group. M35/2, M50/1.7, M85/2, M120/2.8, M150/3.5 and M*300/4 are the top 6 in my view and the main components in my back when on travel. M20 might be worthy add to the top group, but I don't have it.

I have planned M35/2 to June SIC, so I have two great months ahead of me
05-02-2020, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Indeed, thought I'd like to add couple of lenses to the top group. M35/2, M50/1.7, M85/2, M120/2.8, M150/3.5 and M*300/4 are the top 6 in my view and the main components in my back when on travel. M20 might be worthy add to the top group, but I don't have it.

I have planned M35/2 to June SIC, so I have two great months ahead of me
I've noticed your excellent work with the M*300. I've not quite jelled with it - I don't find it easy to focus handheld.

I have the M20/4. Can do fabulous colours in the right light but I wish it were a bit sharper at longer distances - it's quite good close up but not a great landscape lens. I did re-adjust the infinity focus stop to see if that was out but without improving things. That was a long while back - perhaps I need to have a second go at adjusting it. Or I might just have a so-so copy.

I've two copies of the M200/4. The second I think is the better lens. I like the M200/4's rendering but you do need to get focus absolutely spot on to get the best out of this lens. Sharpness then is quite reasonable and fringing is reasonably controlled. But a smidge off focus and the fringing really increases.

By the way, I binge watched a couple of Nordic 10 part tv series a couple of weeks ago. One was Shadow Lines, a dramatisation of the 1950's cold war period in Finland. Inspired to do some googling I even found Espoo! And found the series had, although fictional, based the storyline around real life events and locations not too far from your area. Available on SBS on Demand for any Aussies reading this.
05-02-2020, 06:32 AM   #28
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I've noticed your excellent work with the M*300. I've not quite jelled with it - I don't find it easy to focus handheld.
I put a lot of trust to catch in focus with that lens and always take several attemps to have some good.
05-02-2020, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a brief moment of despair yesterday. After a busy day of work, I finally had some time to make the first photo of the month, and I pulled my SD cards out of the K-1 to download the images to my PC and to format. I replaced one card as usual, but the second would not seat properly. I looked into the slot and saw that a small piece of plastic had broken off the SD card and fallen to the bottom of the card slot, and at first it seemed stuck fast. Fortunately I was able to resist the urge to jam a screw driver or knife edge into the slot, and after some gentle tapping on the camera body, it came loose. Having two cards slots has spoiled me, and I am glad I did not need to have my local camera shop fix this problem. 10 days without a camera would be terrible!
05-03-2020, 02:00 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I had a brief moment of despair yesterday. After a busy day of work, I finally had some time to make the first photo of the month, and I pulled my SD cards out of the K-1 to download the images to my PC and to format. I replaced one card as usual, but the second would not seat properly. I looked into the slot and saw that a small piece of plastic had broken off the SD card and fallen to the bottom of the card slot, and at first it seemed stuck fast. Fortunately I was able to resist the urge to jam a screw driver or knife edge into the slot, and after some gentle tapping on the camera body, it came loose. Having two cards slots has spoiled me, and I am glad I did not need to have my local camera shop fix this problem. 10 days without a camera would be terrible!

O_O scary moment!