Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #136
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I don't know if the price/structure has changed since Flickr was sold (maybe I am grandfathered in to some features...), but $50/year is tough to beat for ad-free browsing and unlimited storage (of full resolution images), plus hosting, not to mention the aesthetic presentation and community features. I'm a big fan of Flickr Pro!
I use free zonerama.com for most of my shots. Linking to PF is not as easy as from Flickr, but on the other hand I have direct link to it from Zoner photo studio which I still use as my photo manager and viewer, so uploading is easier than with Flickr. While it works as well as it does currently, I'm not looking forward to start paying for the same service.

06-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is a monster lens.
That is sooo true.
06-04-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a bit behind today. Had to take the new lens out for a play. Have a couple from the 25 so will catch up in the morning.
06-04-2020, 09:07 PM - 4 Likes   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I don't know if the price/structure has changed since Flickr was sold (maybe I am grandfathered in to some features...), but $50/year is tough to beat for ad-free browsing and unlimited storage (of full resolution images), plus hosting, not to mention the aesthetic presentation and community features. I'm a big fan of Flickr Pro!

+1 here

And to feel like I’m not the product, I’m a big fan of paying for services I value

06-04-2020, 11:47 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
A busy yesterday saw me fall behind with posting early in the month. I'll catch up a little later today when I get home from work.
Caught up posting, not caught up commenting... will get on that later!
06-05-2020, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Though I did capture some images yesterday, I have not yet DL'd, so I will probably post for Thursday and Friday sometime today.
06-05-2020, 07:04 AM - 4 Likes   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Upgraded to Pro today as I felt I was missing out on you guys. Had it before and then I stopped shooting for a while. One thing I will say, the Jpeg quality on Smugmug is better than on Flickr so Smugmug is still the Senior service. Added the Pentax-DA 1.4x to the 25 today to see how they get on, pretty good dead centre but a big no for the corners. Bit silly of me really expecting a wide and an TC to play well. I do get in closer though so 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. The other thing was jumping to the K-3 for a while, Jeez, the K-1 spoils us with noise and ISO. I know the complaints about that its slow, no buffer, its heavy, ponderous but it can be forgiving too while slapping you for not paying attention to other things

Last edited by robbiec; 06-05-2020 at 07:10 AM.
06-05-2020, 12:44 PM - 4 Likes   #143
Pentaxian

Is it too late to jump in with a Super Tak 28mm f3.5?
06-05-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote

I wouldn’t say so. But I would say welcome 8)
06-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Never too late to join in!
06-06-2020, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #146
Pentaxian

Got some looooong days ahead so my posting and comments may be sporadic. Everyone's work so far has been awesome!
06-06-2020, 04:52 PM - 4 Likes   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Devastated

Hazel was doing some dance moves in the kitchen and I gave Jen (my wife) the K-3 with the 50-135 attached. Set it to Green mode, Aperture @ f/2.8 and shutter @ 1/125s - All point AF coverage. Twist this one to zoom in and out, AF button to focus and press the shutter when it lights up inside.

Boom.. Hazel looking at me for attention, Jen moving around and snapping - had to change it to single shot mode as she was getting 5 shots a press

This is an A3+ print of one of her shots - proudly stuck up on a kitchen wall awaiting a frame. It is an image I've been trying to get at any time in the last few years. Probably cost me €50 in ink as I brought my Canon Pro-10 back to life (idling for about a year or more) but worth every penny or cent. But now i'm devastated.

Temp link to the real deal https://robbiecc.smugmug.com/PeopleandPortraits/Hazel-4/n-wSZPWR/i-XzqsGff/A
06-06-2020, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #148
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
But now i'm devastated.
Don't you just hate it when you give the camera to Noob and they take a better shot than you did?
06-07-2020, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've posted my pics but lots of commenting to catch up on. Everything went put the window yesterday as met with socially-distanced-friends (very weird). As a result I now have to make a modification to my wife's telescope mount so more time away. Will catch up eventually though.
06-07-2020, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Don't you just hate it when you give the camera to Noob and they take a better shot than you did?
Grr, Thanks Sandy - I'm of two minds on this, Jen is really chuffed with her pic (reminds me, must change the Exif Copyright ) and rightly so. "how did it get it blurry in the background? was it the lens?" type questions, later on in the evening, so perhaps a good thing. Plenty of kit to go around . On the other hand, she is a banker by trade so I could also expect "why do you need 4 50s, a 65, a 77 and a 100 when the 50-135 covers those?"

Possible conversation...
Ahem, well, the 100 is a macro so you can get in close
("you mean those silly flower shots and pics of stuff where you only see part of the subject?"),

And the 77 is a real favourite and it is even better at portraits, it did these ones - points to various pics that I know she likes
("no, I disagree, it is noisy, and my zoom is more flexible, how much?")

("What about these, points to 4 x 50s?")
These are the 50s, they can be sharper and more blurry at the same time, one is a macro, one is state of the art, this one (holding up the 55), cost almost nothing and it has a cool look to its pictures and the SuperTak is one of the originals, it has 8 elements and in its day was the best of the best.
("OK, I kinda get the 2 old ones, don't understand why you persist in buying junk but wtf is this? (holds up the DFA*50), why is it heavier than my zoom and why is it so big, how MUCH?")
We have it coming up to a couple of years (see what I did there? introduced the 'we'), it was about, cough, a grand, cough.... You should try it out, might be better on the other camera though.
("I told you, I don't like the other camera, it's too big and heavy and you want me to put this heavy, piece of **** on it as well?, you're not allowed to buy any more lens, you've too many doing the same thing")

ROFL
Better find a hiding space for the DFA*s, out of sight, out of mind , the Limiteds are safe, too many pics she has liked associated with them. The 50-135 is now hers, (there is another, a bit bigger, heavier, quieter for me in that focal range)

Any hints or thoughts on how to onboard the she who has to be obeyed into our hobby?

Last edited by robbiec; 06-07-2020 at 03:39 AM.