Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 446 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2020, 03:45 AM - 5 Likes   #151
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Any hints or thoughts on how to onboard the she who has to be obeyed into our hobby?
Mine is on board with respect to the output.
If she fully understood the gear that went into that output, the gig would be up

06-07-2020, 04:14 AM - 2 Likes   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Mine is on board with respect to the output.
If she fully understood the gear that went into that output, the gig would be up
Ditto situation here. You're at a way different level kit wise though K-3 now modified with new copyright holder On the positive side, I was complimented in not begrudging her pic (which I'm not, I'm delighted) and she has pointed out a weakness in my photography , I get too close, too often. So all good. Technical lessons begin today...
06-07-2020, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using manual setting much more this month, it's very fulfilling.
06-07-2020, 05:42 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Grr, Thanks Sandy - I'm of two minds on this, Jen is really chuffed with her pic (reminds me, must change the Exif Copyright ) and rightly so. "how did it get it blurry in the background? was it the lens?" type questions, later on in the evening, so perhaps a good thing. Plenty of kit to go around . On the other hand, she is a banker by trade

Any hints or thoughts on how to onboard the she who has to be obeyed into our hobby?
Sharon is an accountant by trade so I feel for your there. And she always does well with her imaging. She's more concerned with the image than how she got it. and that is pretty liberating. I'm often jealous of what she does with a camera. She also suggested we get a cabinet, that we have now, to house my gear, so if and when she wants she can see the results of my GAS.

I bought her what she calls a big girl camera for her birthday last year, a Panasonic GX9 and she shares (absconds with) my m4/3 lenses now. We have sort of a detente: I don't have to tell her when I buy M42 lenses (mostly) abut we do talk about the big ones, which pretty much only happen after tax season and probably not this year though. She will need to know about the new 16-50 and the new DFA 21.

06-07-2020, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

Grr, Thanks Sandy - I'm of two minds on this, Jen is really chuffed with her pic (reminds me, must change the Exif Copyright ) and rightly so. "how did it get it blurry in the background? was it the lens?" type questions, later on in the evening, so perhaps a good thing. Plenty of kit to go around . On the other hand, she is a banker by trade so I could also expect "why do you need 4 50s, a 65, a 77 and a 100 when the 50-135 covers those?"

Possible conversation...
Ahem, well, the 100 is a macro so you can get in close
("you mean those silly flower shots and pics of stuff where you only see part of the subject?"),

And the 77 is a real favourite and it is even better at portraits, it did these ones - points to various pics that I know she likes
("no, I disagree, it is noisy, and my zoom is more flexible, how much?")

("What about these, points to 4 x 50s?")
These are the 50s, they can be sharper and more blurry at the same time, one is a macro, one is state of the art, this one (holding up the 55), cost almost nothing and it has a cool look to its pictures and the SuperTak is one of the originals, it has 8 elements and in its day was the best of the best.
("OK, I kinda get the 2 old ones, don't understand why you persist in buying junk but wtf is this? (holds up the DFA*50), why is it heavier than my zoom and why is it so big, how MUCH?")
We have it coming up to a couple of years (see what I did there? introduced the 'we'), it was about, cough, a grand, cough.... You should try it out, might be better on the other camera though.
("I told you, I don't like the other camera, it's too big and heavy and you want me to put this heavy, piece of **** on it as well?, you're not allowed to buy any more lens, you've too many doing the same thing")

ROFL
Better find a hiding space for the DFA*s, out of sight, out of mind , the Limiteds are safe, too many pics she has liked associated with them. The 50-135 is now hers, (there is another, a bit bigger, heavier, quieter for me in that focal range)

Robbie, if I recall correctly, I saw that you were planning to get the new 85... in which case, good luck!
06-07-2020, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #156
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

A horse.

Pics of it are always welcome and lenses are cheap compared to it. Even DFA*85 is just couple of months of mandatory costs of a horse, so she can't complane. The problem, of course, is that you don't have that money to put on the lens...
06-07-2020, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Robbie, if I recall correctly, I saw that you were planning to get the new 85... in which case, good luck!
That's what off the books accounts are for , where there is a will, there is a way.

---------- Post added 06-07-20 at 06:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
A horse.

Pics of it are always welcome and lenses are cheap compared to it. Even DFA*85 is just couple of months of mandatory costs of a horse, so she can't complane. The problem, of course, is that you don't have that money to put on the lens...
She's frightened of horses. Like your thought process though.

Last edited by robbiec; 06-07-2020 at 01:21 PM.
06-07-2020, 01:25 PM - 3 Likes   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mrs Monster and I both have our own hobbies. I've tried to get her interested in a real camera but she prefers her phone... If she knew that I spent about the same on my K1 as I did on my car then I think I'd be in trouble. I mostly fund my LBA by selling stuff I don't like or use (normally at a profit) to get the new stuff and I'm not really into the latest DA* limited lenses anyway so I'm at the lower end of the cost scale. As long as I'm not spending money from the joint account then I'm pretty safe.

But if the question ever came up about why I need 13 50/55 lenses then I think it would be hard to find a good answer other than they are all different and I like them.
06-08-2020, 12:18 AM - 2 Likes   #159
Pentaxian

Fortunately for me, we've a good system. We pay our bills, respective to our wages of which mine is considerably higher while she's on a studentship in work, and whatever resulting funds we have at the end of the month we're welcome to save/spend as we see fit. Hence, no quibbles with money as long as we're not stupid with it.
She knows my net spend is relatively low to the value of the gear I have, too, so she's got no issue with it as things stand. Also, I take pictures of things she likes (e.g. recently, her foray into green-fingeredness) so that helps keep her sweet.
I don't only spend money on myself, and often treat her to bits 'n' pieces too, so it all adds up.
06-08-2020, 01:47 AM - 3 Likes   #160
Pentaxian

Caught up with 5th, 6th, 7th... I have said it for months but I need a better way of keeping on top of posting. I'm half tempted to get an SD card reader for my phone and go from there, but the iPhone's Flickr app doesn't make posting to PF particularly easy...
06-08-2020, 03:40 AM - 3 Likes   #161
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
But if the question ever came up about why I need 13 50/55 lenses then I think it would be hard to find a good answer other than they are all different and I like them.

my wife is a knitter - all I have to do is show her the entire room devoted to her hobby, and my collection of a mere 60 (or so) lenses ceases to be an issue....
06-08-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #162
Loyal Site Supporter

Love Ismo's horse idea, well played sir
06-08-2020, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone figure out the game within the game I'm playing? ��

---------- Post added 06-08-20 at 11:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
and my collection of a mere 60 (or so) lenses ceases to be an issue....
Used to be that I had a hard limit of no more than 10 at any given time. That's been expanded to 12 at the moment but I've found another few (like an AutoTakumar 135/3.5 and SuperTakumar 150/4) that I had completely forgotten about. I think I'll give those an In Reserve status
06-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Anyone figure out the game within the game I'm playing? ��
I thought I had, but if I'm correct, you may have made an error...
06-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I thought I had, but if I'm correct, you may have made an error...
I did
Fixed now though.