Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Glad to hear you did not lose the use of the camera, hurrah for Pentax durability!

I prefer a wrist or hand strap when I take my camera out of the holster I store it in until I am ready to take a picture.

A few acquaintances of mine are military photographers, they use rigs similar to those from Spider and I'm pretty impressed with them.

My K-5 met it's end when it fell out off an unzipped camera bag from about 2 meters / 7 feet , too much to repair compared to replacement cost, I put the money towards a K-1. It was a great camera, my first DSLR.
The Pentax durability was limited only to the Takumar lens actually! The body is the notably flimsy Sony A7iii! :O

06-10-2020, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a neck strap on all my cameras and never had a problems. I'm paranoid I'd drop one if I didn't.
06-10-2020, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Tremendous fright time last night.
Took my photos before bed, popped camera down on the side-table in the hallway. I'd recently put a strap on the camera. My reasons for disclosing this will become evident soon...
Pottered around sorting out stuff for work today, saw the dogs up to bed, turned the lights off downstairs and made sure the front door was locked. Grabbed the camera, took a step towards the 'wooden hill', instant-and-unforeseen resistance and 'POP' out of my hand goes the camera before it made a speedy descent to the floor. The floor is laminate so has very minor give but is otherwise pretty hard. BANG. The strap had caught on one of the handles of the drawer of the side-table.
Other half: "What was that?!"
Me: "[Insert choice of expletives here], the [another expletive] camera!"
OH: "Oh goodness!"
Hastened to pick up camera, turned lights on, investigated camera. Camera looks okay. Lens looks okay... oh wait, there's a bit of a dent on the front rim and the lens cap...
*Turns focus ring*, well it feels okay...
*Turns aperture ring*, well it stops down okay...
No discernible scratches, scuffs, cracks to the glass.
*Turns camera on*, well it turns on. No odd whirring.
*Tries each and every button consecutively, multiple times*, well everything is working alright.
*Takes picture*, well, it takes photos.
*Changes lens for the only AF one I currently own*, well it autofocuses and takes pictures, no obvious difference...

This is what I would call my one lucky escape. This could have gone horribly wrong. I've not had a strap on any camera I've owned until Sunday for ease of taking pictures while walking the dogs. It is coming straight off it. I might get a Peak Design one so I can clip/unclip simply
Very glad this didn't end up a worse tale.

For what it's worth, my other half was concerned that I had broken one of her new plant pots.
Yeah, dropping cameras...it happens. I remember the first time I dropped my K10d with my kit lens. As I was still sporting a UV filter on lenses in those days, the camera fell straight down lens first on to ceramic tile. Broke the UV filter, sorta tweaked the kit lens, did nothing to the camera. Tossed filter, continued to use the kit lens although it never was quite as easy to zoom, camera ok. So, I decided then to never put UV filters on lenses, haven't dropped one since...
06-10-2020, 04:14 PM - 3 Likes   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bah, LBA strikes again. 8 element Super Takumar 50/1.4 - bought it because it's older than me, will be cool to pass on to my daughter when she gets the bug and I just like the tactility of the Takumars. I'm surprised at its condition, my regular lens peddler told me he'd pick out his best one and I have to say its absolutely immaculate / pristine. Gotta redo the 'Perspective' shot now

06-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Bah, LBA strikes again. 8 element Super Takumar 50/1.4 - bought it because it's older than me, will be cool to pass on to my daughter when she gets the bug and I just like the tactility of the Takumars. I'm surprised at its condition, my regular lens peddler told me he'd pick out his best one and I have to say its absolutely immaculate / pristine. Gotta redo the 'Perspective' shot now
My dad gave me his, bought new in the early 60's. Totally thrashed, but after a CLA, it is really something special on the K-1. Or a Spotmatic of course.
06-11-2020, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #186
Pentaxian

A terrifying story, @Benz3ene! I use peak design strap and I take it off the camera when I'm at home; I find it a very useful solution. When indoor, I usually use a wrist strap, but it's short so there's no risk that it will catch something.
06-11-2020, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #187
Loyal Site Supporter

Tremendous fright time last night.
Took my photos before bed, popped camera down on the side-table in the hallway. I'd recently put a strap on the camera. My reasons for disclosing this will become evident soon...
Pottered around sorting out stuff for work today, saw the dogs up to bed, turned the lights off downstairs and made sure the front door was locked. Grabbed the camera, took a step towards the 'wooden hill', instant-and-unforeseen resistance and 'POP' out of my hand goes the camera before it made a speedy descent to the floor. The floor is laminate so has very minor give but is otherwise pretty hard. BANG. The strap had caught on one of the handles of the drawer of the side-table.
Other half: "What was that?!"
Me: "[Insert choice of expletives here], the [another expletive] camera!"
OH: "Oh goodness!"
Hastened to pick up camera, turned lights on, investigated camera. Camera looks okay. Lens looks okay... oh wait, there's a bit of a dent on the front rim and the lens cap...
*Turns focus ring*, well it feels okay...
*Turns aperture ring*, well it stops down okay...
No discernible scratches, scuffs, cracks to the glass.
*Turns camera on*, well it turns on. No odd whirring.
*Tries each and every button consecutively, multiple times*, well everything is working alright.
*Takes picture*, well, it takes photos.
*Changes lens for the only AF one I currently own*, well it autofocuses and takes pictures, no obvious difference...

This is what I would call my one lucky escape. This could have gone horribly wrong. I've not had a strap on any camera I've owned until Sunday for ease of taking pictures while walking the dogs. It is coming straight off it. I might get a Peak Design one so I can clip/unclip simply
Very glad this didn't end up a worse tale.

For what it's worth, my other half was concerned that I had broken one of her new plant pots.
Thank goodness the pots were ok......................

06-11-2020, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Thank goodness the pots were ok......................
Tell me about it!
Had either a pot or the camera been broken that would’ve been the last you saw of me posting...
06-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
A terrifying story, @Benz3ene! I use peak design strap and I take it off the camera when I'm at home; I find it a very useful solution. When indoor, I usually use a wrist strap, but it's short so there's no risk that it will catch something.
Terrifying it was my friend! Oh yes, I’ll be getting a Peak Design Cuff I think... it’ll be good enough for me outdoors and indoors, compact and easily removable.
06-11-2020, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #190
Site Supporter

Terrifying it was my friend! Oh yes, I’ll be getting a Peak Design Cuff I think... it’ll be good enough for me outdoors and indoors, compact and easily removable.
I use a bottom plate with a Domke Gripper for most of my gear, on and off easy from the Tripod mount.

Or a simple tripod mount swivel adapter with a Cotton Strap on the lighter gear.

06-12-2020, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
I use a bottom plate with a Domke Gripper for most of my gear, on and off easy from the Tripod mount.

Or a simple tripod mount swivel adapter with a Cotton Strap on the lighter gear.
I'm not sure I made myself too clear, the issue wasn't in fact the lugs for the strap, or the couplings, but the fact that the strap itself caught on the drawer handle!
I'll be buying my Peak Design Cuff today :P
That does look a good setup though, especially for a lighter system!
06-12-2020, 12:33 AM - 3 Likes   #192
Pentaxian

I sold my MC-Kaleinar 100/2.8 lens from last month and now I'm left with m42/pk adapter. The obvious solution for making it less lonely is to buy a Takumar, but the choice on my local auction sites is rather scarce, so I think I'll wait a bit, especially that I still have three lenses to run in the upcoming SiC months. I read reviews of the Taks and I think I'll go for a 55/1.8 version.
And tomorrow I make another attempt to catch the sunrise, which means getting up at 3:30 Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

---------- Post added 06-12-20 at 12:35 AM ----------

Kodak Retinette on the photo? I used to have one, looking very cool
06-12-2020, 01:11 AM - 2 Likes   #193
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Being a cheap DIY man, I just had to do this sling thing by myself... Commercial setups just felt too expencive

I mostly go without sling. I have pretty solid monkey grip due to windsurfing, so I feel comfortable carrying the camera in my hand for long periods and often carry my bag to store the camera when I don't want it in my hands. This system is easy enough to put on when I feel I need it. I also have bit of extra rope and a clamp to make sling longer and mount the camera from tripod quick plate in the bottom, in case I want to wear it over shoulder.

I have dropped camera once, when K1 was pretty new. I had just chanced the lens when I just let go of the camera. Still can't figure out what brainfart made me let my both hands go, but I just let the camera fall down lens first into the soft beach sand. M50/1.7 took some cleaning to get the sand away, but otherwise the gear was not harmed.
06-12-2020, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #194
Site Supporter

I'm not sure I made myself too clear, the issue wasn't in fact the lugs for the strap, or the couplings, but the fact that the strap itself caught on the drawer handle!
I'll be buying my Peak Design Cuff today :P
That does look a good setup though, especially for a lighter system!
I understood, just mentioned the tripod mount as it comes off and transfers to any camera easy, no matter what sling/strap you attach to it.
06-12-2020, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #195
Pentaxian

I understood, just mentioned the tripod mount as it comes off and transfers to any camera easy, no matter what sling/strap you attach to it.
Ah yes, that's a very valid point. I didn't really consider that aspect when I first read your post.