Show Printable Version 446 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Next month - DFA*70-200/2.8 - Sneak Preview from yesterday
The first one is really lovely!

I just bought something that I think I will have to use next month if it arrives in time. Pictures might follow...

Also, how did we get to 18 pages this month?

06-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Thank you. I'm at a grand total of 25 or so images taken with it

---------- Post added 06-23-20 at 11:07 PM ----------

I just bought something that I think I will have to use next month if it arrives in time. Pictures might follow...

Tell us more? You cant just drop a sentence like that

18 pages?, some LBA, but of chit and chat, people coming, people going, the odd rant
06-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #258
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I've been trapped in my house since mid-March....

and I agree with robbie - there's no worse suspense...

spill it....
06-23-2020, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #259
Pentaxian

Nothing but low cloud, fine drizzle and mist in my area for the last few days. Get up in the morning and it's bah. Sooner grab the DA16-50 and K-3 than the 25 - Further up the site and I get really and I mean really wound up by people taking pot shots at the first samples of the new DFA*85. You know that 3/4s of the naysayers will have no intention of buying it but still have to have a dig. Anyone who has managed to get hold of a copy and has the balls to throw up some early images don't deserve to be ripped to shreds.
Its why I like hanging out here, you can beat up a lens in your own way and yourself but at the end of a given month, you'll know far more than when you started off - bright eyed and hopeful to ohh it doesn't do that very well to hmm what do I take a pic of now? to maybe if I try this to wow yeah thats cool or nah -- better take a few bright ones so I can offload this
I'm tired, cranky - couple of challenging days at work.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZdxLW3d/0/0d0841c8/X3/i-ZdxLW3d-X3.jpg or

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ncjFjTF/0/2fc977d9/X3/i-ncjFjTF-X3.jpg

Wonderful eyes! Specially in the first pic. 8)

Bright-eyed and hopeful - and the progression from that state ... yeah... xP

GPOY

I’ve found that with the Tak Bay 28 I love it - hence the bright-eyed hope - but I hate the borked focus ring - leading to me having no real desire to pull out the camera.

I’m even walking past shopping trolleys unshot... xP

I’ve found myself trawling through my Photos albums for the Sigma 30mm and the Plastic Fantastic 35mm and wishing I were using either. Only seven days to go (I’ve taken a photo today already)...

06-23-2020, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #260
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote

GPOY

I’ve found that with the Tak Bay 28 I love it - hence the bright-eyed hope - but I hate the borked focus ring - leading to me having no real desire to pull out the camera.

I’ve found myself trawling through my Photos albums for the Sigma 30mm and the Plastic Fantastic 35mm and wishing I were using either. Only seven days to go (I’ve taken a photo today already)...
Hang on this is serious, walking past trolleys, that is something that you need to correct immediately, head back there and you own that trolley photo. Maybe for inspiration you could log on to pentax.com.au and take part in the 15% off sale for the next 7 days. I was tempted too easily and now have the 85 1.4 on order.......... oops

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 10:52 AM ----------

Nothing but low cloud, fine drizzle and mist in my area for the last few days. Get up in the morning and it's bah. Sooner grab the DA16-50 and K-3 than the 25 - Further up the site and I get really and I mean really wound up by people taking pot shots at the first samples of the new DFA*85. You know that 3/4s of the naysayers will have no intention of buying it but still have to have a dig. Anyone who has managed to get hold of a copy and has the balls to throw up some early images don't deserve to be ripped to shreds.
Its why I like hanging out here, you can beat up a lens in your own way and yourself but at the end of a given month, you'll know far more than when you started off - bright eyed and hopeful to ohh it doesn't do that very well to hmm what do I take a pic of now? to maybe if I try this to wow yeah thats cool or nah -- better take a few bright ones so I can offload this

Grey sky blah does suck the enthusiasm out, however the 70-200 coming should sing through next month
06-23-2020, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #261
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

GPOY

Why you don't just fix it by getting a replacement. They can't be that expensive?
06-24-2020, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I've also bought something.

Acquired from the forum temptations section.

But I doubt it will find its way across the ocean before the start of July.

06-24-2020, 02:12 AM   #263
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Hang on this is serious, walking past trolleys, that is something that you need to correct immediately, head back there and you own that trolley photo.
"Every year, thousands of trolleys are abandoned along the way, but with your help, we can bring them all home. These images have called attention to their plight, and we ask you to not look away"

I enjoy the trolley series, BTW

I'm at a grand total of 25 or so images taken with it
Lovely!
06-24-2020, 02:15 AM   #264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Why you don't just fix it by getting a replacement. They can't be that expensive?

Not really, no. It’s annoying though: it was cheap when I got it; now they’re about three times as much. >_<

Also, I’ve found my other two (newer) lenses around that focal length just seem to have given me more pics I’m really happy with, and better quality overall - especially the Plastic Fantastic.

So I’m just going to bid it farewell at the end of the month.
06-24-2020, 02:40 AM   #265
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, sometimes it's just time to move on.
06-24-2020, 03:33 AM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always end up falling in love with a lens, even the challenging ones re. the 85mm, at that price point you would expect it to be tremendous but it may take a while to fall into the hands of someone truly talented (and not a hack like me). Regarding reviews, I have a 50-200mm wr. Once I calibrated it, it became my absolute favourite. Sharp, responsive, I love it to bits but there are quite a few out there who don't agree. Generally, once a lens has filtered through the system, the reviews on here are very accurate, it just takes a bit of time. Re the 85mm again, I will never get to hold one because the list of things I could do with 2K is very long indeed (as is the 1k list, and, for that matter, the £500 one)

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 03:41 AM ----------

Not really, no. It’s annoying though: it was cheap when I got it; now they’re about three times as much. >_<

Also, I’ve found my other two (newer) lenses around that focal length just seem to have given me more pics I’m really happy with, and better quality overall - especially the Plastic Fantastic.

If you need a 28mm in your life, how about a tokina RMC 28mm f2.8, cheap as chips and nicely built
Tokina RMC 28mm f2.8 | Flickr

Or even a Miranda 24mm f2.8 macro, another lovely little lens that won't cost you much
Single in September (Miranda 24mm f2.8) | Flickr
06-24-2020, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #267
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Re the 85mm again, I will never get to hold one because the list of things I could do with 2K is very long indeed (as is the 1k list, and, for that matter, the £500 one)
Thought expensive I think this might be lens worth getting. Can't say when I have money to put down, but if A*85 and FA*85 don't seriously loose their value, then my upgrade from M85 will most likely be DFA*85. It feels like THE lens to build my high quolity lens set around once I feel the need to upgrade from M's.
06-24-2020, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

Or even a Miranda 24mm f2.8 macro, another lovely little lens that won't cost you much

Single in September (Miranda 24mm f2.8) | Flickr

that really seems to have a ‘something’ - but I also must ask about the processing - especially for example the bashful alley pic, and the bike a few further on. How much of the character of the pics was the lens, and how much did you bring in in post?
06-24-2020, 04:32 AM   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that really seems to have a ‘something’ - but I also must ask about the processing - especially for example the bashful alley pic, and the bike a few further on. How much of the character of the pics was the lens, and how much did you bring in in post?
Oooh, now you are asking. I can slap it on, take some random shots and post sooc if that would help

---------- Post added 06-24-20 at 04:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Thought expensive I think this might be lens worth getting. Can't say when I have money to put down, but if A*85 and FA*85 don't seriously loose their value, then my upgrade from M85 will most likely be DFA*85. It feels like THE lens to build my high quolity lens set around once I feel the need to upgrade from M's.
"Hey Guys, Ismo is upgrading his lens collection! I call dibs on any limiteds" :0)

Footnote: "calling dibs" and "bagsy" is a way of laying claim to having first choice. I can't wait to hear the regional variations
06-24-2020, 05:00 AM   #270
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

we call dibs here... is that an Irish thing?