Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 446 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2020, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great job Ismo! I've a safety in the bag... Can't believe I've completed a full month! Woohoo

06-30-2020, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #332
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Doesn't look useless wide-open to me! I've been deliberating getting a faster 35mm following this month with the Super-Takumar 35mm f/3.5, as it's a peach of a lens but 'struggles' (read: relies on the ISO capabilities of the camera) for evening/lower-light shots.
When I come to my summary for this month I'll also mention the close-focus, or lack thereof. This would've been a game-changer for me. If I can find a sharp, well-coated, close-focusing lens (preferably a Takumar or Pentax-brand so I can SIC with it) I'll snap it up!
Useless in a sence that one step down is so much better that it's worth one stop in ISO if needed.

If you are after close focus check what Minimonster does with 35ltd macro in July.
06-30-2020, 01:30 AM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Useless in a sence that one step down is so much better that it's worth one stop in ISO if needed.

If you are after close focus check what Minimonster does with 35ltd macro in July.
Agreed, I guess I'm comparing the f/2 vs my f/3.5, in which case faster is certainly not useless.
Good point - some solid photos I've seen! I've also thought about the Flektogon 35/2.4. Given I'm no longer using a Pentax body, however, and full-frame, the 35mm LTD loses a little bit of its functionality (I suppose).
06-30-2020, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #334
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed, I guess I'm comparing the f/2 vs my f/3.5, in which case faster is certainly not useless.
Good point - some solid photos I've seen! I've also thought about the Flektogon 35/2.4. Given I'm no longer using a Pentax body, however, and full-frame, the 35mm LTD loses a little bit of its functionality (I suppose).
Yes, it has an edge over f3.5. Minimonster probably tries the lens in FF also during the month, so you will see how it works.

06-30-2020, 03:18 AM - 4 Likes   #335
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well another month down and I have found this lens the DA 12-24 f4 has been an easy friend to play with for the month. I was a little off, however the lens did not show too many issues that were noticeable to me. Many complain in the reviews about horrible purple fringing. Whilst I could see some in harsh conditions, it was easily dealt with in lightroom. The lens really works well in the field as well as for squeezing in all those indoor real estate type shots. I'm glad I had the chance to remind myself of the quality of this lens. On the last day of the month I discovered it has no hot spot on IR cameras, an unexpected bonus. Here are some of my favourites from the month. Thanks to all for the comments and all of the interesting photos you have all shared, a fun month.

Roll on July
06-30-2020, 05:07 AM - 5 Likes   #336
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Single In June 2020

So... R.I.P. trusty baby tak. :'(

This was my second month with my Takumar bayonet 28/2.8 since its focus ring broke.

I completed that first month, but this month was a bust. I did get most of the way through, but decided I was not going to force the issue for the last several days. However, I am pleased with some of the photos I took through the month; I just didn't enjoy taking them.

How is the lens? Apart from the borked focus ring - not the point of general comment on this lens - it's great. I love the rendering, the colours; it can be pretty sharp, it feels nice to handle when it ain't broked. So now just the aperture ring moves and clicks beautifully.

I bought it ages ago for a song - not of sixpence, but only about $40 or 50 Australian. Now they're well over $100 on EvilBay, which is slightly irritating. Still, a really good k-mount 28mm, so worth considering if that what you're after. But ... of course no aperture recognition/control; no autofocus.

Favs from the month?

Not much of a rescue by -Occasionally Focused-

Grouped by -Occasionally Focused-

From a certain point of view... by -Occasionally Focused-

Morning park by -Occasionally Focused-

For July, Matthew, I'm going to be the Sigma EX DC 30 mm f/1.4: similar focal length, but huger lens, AF, not borked - and needing a change in mindset to appreciate (I've been I think unwarrantedly negative about it).
06-30-2020, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #337
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
So... R.I.P. trusty baby tak. :'(
For July, Matthew, I'm going to be the Sigma EX DC 30 mm f/1.4: similar focal length, but huger lens, AF, not borked - and needing a change in mindset to appreciate (I've been I think unwarrantedly negative about it).
Some lovely pictures with your unfortunately retired Tak! Hopefully you'll be able to pick another up at a reasonable price!

I did wonder last time you used the Sigma 30/1.4 whether it would be worth trying a month using manual focus with it? If I remember rightly your complaints were the sluggish AF?

06-30-2020, 05:42 AM - 3 Likes   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Done with the M35-70 for June and most likely permanently. Never felt the love while using this lens.

Probably best at the 70mm end. Down at the wide end there's some field curvature or something going on that often makes the corners mushy and unpleasantly rendered even at F8 or 11. So you didn't see too many wide images posted. Bokeh quality isn't a strong point once you get away from short focus distances.

Hard to focus well with a wide band where the focus confirmation remains on and pixel peeping confirms a softness to edges which is likely baffling the PDAF.

Whether what I experienced is typical of this lens or I have an optically poor copy I don't know. Physically it is in great knick.

A pity, as my limited use with it on a Sony A7 a few years back was much more positive. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a Sony camera to re-test.

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2020 at 10:27 PM ----------

Oh, and apologies for not commenting during June. I don't think I commented on a single image so please no-one feel like you were singled out for a lack of attention. Energy levels have been down this month.

A big thank you to those who commented on my images even though I didn't reciprocate.
06-30-2020, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #339
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the Flektogon 35/2.4 (or 2.8, for the earlier model) is a huge step beyond the Super Takumar 35.. I have the Flek, plus a copy of the ST 35/2...

the Takumar is sublime, perfect helicoid action, beautiful colors.. what you would expect...

the Flektogon is an absolute hammer, however, biting sharpness, amazing colors, and close focusing (near macro, really)...

if you can get a good copy of the CZJ Flektogon, do it...
06-30-2020, 11:31 AM - 5 Likes   #340
Pentaxian

Time for a small summary, so here are my thoughts on the Pentax-F 24-50/4. It's a nice little lens with relatively useful focal length, although on the APS-C it is shifted considerably compared to the full-frame it was designed for. Wide-open it's pretty soft, although usable if the softness contributes in a nice way:

Stopped down to f/4.5 it's getting better

and at 5.6 complaints disappear

It's a very versatile lens and very small and lightweight which is a big advantage (compared to another walk-around zoom - Sigma 17-50, which is great but heavy as hell). On the other hand, it's harder to get a nice "portrait" bokeh due to slow aperture, which in addition requires stopping down to get sharper images. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this month a lot; the lens gave me plenty of nice images and is certainly a keeper. Thanks a lot to everyone for commenting and suggestions.
My other faves:

06-30-2020, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
No pressure then...
06-30-2020, 01:52 PM - 4 Likes   #342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a wrap

So the close of another month; I’m quite chuffed that I’ve managed three months in a row - probably not achievable without the “help” of covid-19 and working from home tbh.

Anyway - the lens. I singled the A20 back in 2015 on the K-3; I decided then it was a keeper and have used it ever since. With the news of the D FA 21mm I thought it only fair to single the A20 on the K-1 as a concentrated work-out.
Once again the lens has performed exceedingly well. It is sharp as needs be from f8 across the frame and, for close up work, f2.8-4 isolates the subject well with pleasing bokeh. Colours are rendered faithfully whether you are in bright sunshine or shooting in the rain.
The lens is simple to use, smooth to focus and the body is a nice size to hold - very close to the FA31 or K24/3.5. Unless I see something really special from the new lens I can see no reason to part with the A20 (- but then it will be a Limited 😊 - both ? &#128514

In brief summary - whether you use APSC or FF this lens is a very worthy addition to anyones collection of lenses.

Favourite images to demonstrate the above points:

F8 Sunny

F8 Sunny, versatility

F11 Overcast morning

F2.8 Bokeh

F4 Bokeh

F2.8 Rain, Pointing up at the overcast sky

F5 close, in the rain

Oh... and I cannot miss this one out - Macro with a 20mm
06-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #343
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
No pressure then...
It will be easy...
06-30-2020, 02:24 PM - 3 Likes   #344
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So...I wrapped up this months SIC. The FA*24 f2.0 is a lens that I quested after for a long time looking for the perfect 24mm lens. In the process, I still have 2 other 24mm lenses including a Nikon converted to Pentax mount 24 f2.8 and a Sigma Super Wide II 24 f2.8 (both of those two lenses I picked up over 10 years ago, while the FA*24 is a more recent acquisition). I suppose I should be testing all three and try to work out which one I like. Not today though. Any * lens is expected to perform well, and this one does as far as I can see. The only thing I've noticed is a tendency to have CA on outdoor shots (ok, I was pixel peeping and saw it), which is easily correctable with Lightroom tools. Rereading other user reviews on the forum, I note the tendency for soft focus being mentioned. I really didn't see that this month. As this is one of those FA lenses with the auto focus clutch, it takes me a while to remember to put it on or off, a bit annoying but only minorly so.

While there were so many aspects of testing/learning a lens that I didn't rigorously pursue, but I think I like this lens more than my other two.

As it's been a while since I did a SIC, it took some work getting back into the grove - as much as possible with COVID-19 limitations. I can't really think of any image this month that I thought was really good. Mostly my comps and subject were just ok as were my images as well.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to view/comment my postings. I apologize for not commenting on more image than I did. Even so, saw some great work this month from you guys. Thanks.
BCB
06-30-2020, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #345
Pentaxian

Gahhhhh - so many pics to post. Please to ignore the resurfacing of threads back to the 17th #shame

Some lovely pictures with your unfortunately retired Tak! Hopefully you'll be able to pick another up at a reasonable price!

I did wonder last time you used the Sigma 30/1.4 whether it would be worth trying a month using manual focus with it? If I remember rightly your complaints were the sluggish AF?

MF is an interesting and good idea. I don’t think I’ll do it the whole month, but should at least see how it feels.

Cheers 8)