Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2020, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post Processing Challenge #334 - "Moo! 204"

Thank you for the votes in the last round. Always enjoy working with such pretty photos.

For Round #334 I present you this cute little guy: "Moo! 204" Taken near Chehalis, WA USA a month or two ago. Oblivious to all the world's worries, he (or she?!?) is just hanging out being a baby cow. Sounds good to me!

It's not a super technical photo, nor a terribly spectacular landscape, so the challenge this time will be to bring this little guy and his family in to the sunny spotlight... deep blacks, bright whites, and overwhelming green seem to be your adversaries this round. Have fun with this one - embrace the pasture, and "be the cow"
~~Laurie

To give you a full week, let's run this until Saturday, June 20th, 2020.

Here is your DNG link. (i didn't post a full jpg in the d/l, please let me know if you need one. The embedded pic is just for preview. )

PP Challenge 334 - Moo!204.DNG

For the next host:
The Mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

06-12-2020, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you needed a longer lens.

Tas
06-12-2020, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I got a little carried away with Nik...

Last edited by JHfwp; 07-27-2020 at 12:43 PM.
06-13-2020, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, little Moo is in the spotlight - his/her relatives not so much

(1st try)

Beamed Moo over to Dutch pastures for a bit, so s/he could see their Dutch relatives in the distance .... not too impressed, so I'll be bringing hem/her back soon.

Ooh, and that nasty fly clung to Moo's nose all the way from the States!

Last edited by lidy; 06-13-2020 at 06:51 AM.
06-13-2020, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

06-13-2020, 09:55 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Astonm for taking this challenge.
The photo is different and has been fun to work on.
Here is my attempt in monochrome (sepia).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-13-2020, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

What a nice photo! I just cropped it a bit and tweaked the colors.

Last edited by jmacias; 03-07-2021 at 08:25 PM.
06-14-2020, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #8

Post-processing.

Post processing.
Attached Images

06-20-2020, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Here's my effort, not that great though. I wanted to hang 'Black Cows Matter' sings round their necks, but the wife said it wasn't pc.

Last edited by tuggie76; 11-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.
06-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK... this round now closed. gotta do a few things this am... will get back later this afternoon with the results.
06-21-2020, 06:53 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hope everyone enjoyed playing with the cows. Here goes a few random thoughts...

Tas: Nice "glow" Gives a slightly warmer feeling to that field. Thanks for toning down that obnoxious green.

JHfwp: Haha... is that the "Veal" filter you used ?? (nevermind. bad joke... booo) I like Nik too. That multilens tool is a fun one to play with, but rarely do we get a chance to make it work with a photo - in this case, I think it adds a bit of "action" - a mini-stampe in the making. With the sepia effect it also reminds me of a stack of *ancient* photos I have somewhere that Grandfather brought back from somewhere in South America when he was off playing cowboy. Hafta admit, it struck a personal chord with me. Thanks!

lidy: Really liking the framed B&W. The picture IS the cow, you got our subject out of the shadows into the obvious. A quick suggestion would have been to lighten up on the DoF effect on the foreground, he's looking a little "hoof-less" and floating. "Hover-Cow?!?" - the color pic - love it. Fun! . Great idea... also KUDOS to lightening his face, whilst preserving the actual white - It looks like it was a tough one in general this challenge, as other entries had quite a bit of color-shift / noise in the whites going on too. Bonus points for catching the #'s on the ear tag.

noelcmn: I like the close in crop - you turned it in to a portrait!. Great job. The second one could have used a little "breathing room at the top" . Good call on #3 to eliminate the "cow bits" in the RH side of the frame. All three are tending to be a little bit on the "technicolor" side - maybe just a tad too much for my tastes.

mariwalt: good crop, you got that isolation, while at the same time, managing to keep the "sunny pasture feel" even though its not a color photo. It really brings out his big eyes.

jmacias: good job of toning things down a bit... it really was a "harsh" photo to work with. (that's why we call this a "challenge", eh??) very nice. You brought up the detail in the dark areas very gently - easy on the eyes.

strobedumas: anyone remember that old poem??? *** " I never saw a Purple Cow - I never hope to see one. - But I can tell you, anyhow, - I'd rather see than be one" *** Now we've seen one! Thanks for your entry. Cross-Processed Cow! The vintage film effect is a good change-up on this one. Variety is always nice to see in these contests.

tuggie76: last one of the bunch. LOL, she was probably right. I do understand the temptation, tho' ! Your photo is actually a very nice, straight-forward interpretation of the original.

I was really hoping that some adventurous soul would do the classic "alien spacecraft beaming up random cow" treatment (or godzilla.. .what ever happened to him?) In absence of that I'm going to give it tuggie76 as this round's winner - for his very nice version.

Runner up for creativity is going to JHfwp, and his "choppped veal" version.

Thanks guys, great job to everyone. Let's see what's we get next !

~~Laurie
06-22-2020, 02:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Laurie! It was a nice picture to work on and congrats @tuggie76 - over to you!
06-22-2020, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Tuggie76. And to our host Astonm.
06-22-2020, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks guys! I'm on the road today so I'll try to do the next one tonight.
06-22-2020, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Congrats tuggie76!

And thanks for your kind comments, Laurie!