Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 335 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2020, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #196
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
The clouds cleared last night so we went out to to some astrophotography in the garden. To those that haven't tried this yet it's well worth it and the calibration process of the Astrotracer function is quick and easy. When the image doesn't work as well as you are expecting it is likely to be a function of the direction you are facing combined with the angle of elevation of your camera.

Anyway, my image for the 26th is nowhere near as good as it should have been (the reference image is headed in the right direction) but I have posted it as an example of what the sliders in Lightroom can do. The three I have used (clarity, texture and dehaze) I am familiar with but have never racked them over to +100 before. I think I was lucky in that the cloud was relatively thin and had only just blown in because this obviously wouldn't work through dense cloud formations

So.... even if it is cloudy get out there and image the stars
I love the way nature conspires against us, well done on your perseverance

Last edited by garywakeling; 07-26-2020 at 02:28 PM.
07-28-2020, 12:14 AM   #197
Pentaxian

Posted up until the 26th.
Should have an image in the wings for the 27th, and will take one for the 28th later before posting those two.
Need to get better at commenting - sigh. Even responding to comments right now is coming across more difficult than it should be.
07-28-2020, 01:29 AM - 3 Likes   #198
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Need to get better at commenting - sigh. Even responding to comments right now is coming across more difficult than it should be.
I think responce to comments isn't really needed unless there's actually something meaningful or funny to say. That's the guide line I work with.

Often my comments are just to let the shooter know that I've been there and looked at the shot and not really even worth a responce
07-28-2020, 05:13 AM - 4 Likes   #199
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The wheels are falling off my July challenge. The last week has seen a few missed days, and I'm not convinced that's going to improve.

So I'm going to wrap now on my experience with the SMC Pentax-DFA 645 1:4.0 25mm AL [IF] SDM AW

It's a lens I have coveted ever since I bought into the 645 system. Pentax's widest rectilinear lens comes with uncompromising build quality, two aspheric elements, AW sealing, drop-in filters, and silent autofocus. It's also very hard to come by; both the DFA and DA versions are quite thin on the ground, so after years of biding my time I was astonished to find a copy available in my home town at a surprisingly reasonable price. It's still the most money I have ever spent on a lens.

After all that, is it any good? I would say yes.

It's big. It's heavy. But the build quality inspires confidence and the handling is excellent. The ring for rotating the filter is in exactly the right place. AF is reasonably quick, and reliably precise.

Optically, I was first and foremost impressed by its lack of distortion. It is truly rectilinear - at least on the "crop" sensor of the 645Z. It's very sharp, and allowing for some field curvature, that also applies to the peripheries from wide open. Flare resistance however is not great, and lateral chromatic aberration, although minor, was of an unusual colour (mainly on the green side) that required manual shifting toward the yellow side of the spectrum.

As long as one is mindful of these limitations, the images can be astounding. I failed to really apply it to serious landscapes, but on several occasions I received comments about feeling like the viewer was "inside the image" in a way I have not heard before. I suspect that is partly due to the incredible resolution and dynamic range of the 645Z sensor, but the lens has to take some credit....

My own performance was, as usual, less impressive than the lens I used, but there were a few memorable images. If they were memorable enough to justify a photographer of my humble talents and limited commitment to my craft keeping a full suite of digital 645 gear is another question entirely.

Thank you all for your indulgence.

07-28-2020, 05:25 AM   #200
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The wheels are falling off my July challenge. The last week has seen a few missed days, and I'm not convinced that's going to improve.

So I'm going to wrap now on my experience with the SMC Pentax-DFA 645 1:4.0 25mm AL [IF] SDM AW

It's a lens I have coveted ever since I bought into the 645 system. Pentax's widest rectilinear lens comes with uncompromising build quality, two aspheric elements, AW sealing, drop-in filters, and silent autofocus. It's also very hard to come by; both the DFA and DA versions are quite thin on the ground, so after years of biding my time I was astonished to find a copy available in my home town at a surprisingly reasonable price. It's still the most money I have ever spent on a lens.

It's big. It's heavy. But the build quality inspires confidence and the handling is excellent. The ring for rotating the filter is in exactly the right place. AF is reasonably quick, and reliably precise.

Optically, I was first and foremost impressed by its lack of distortion. It is truly rectilinear - at least on the "crop" sensor of the 645Z. It's very sharp, and allowing for some field curvature, that also applies to the peripheries from wide open. Flare resistance however is not great, and lateral chromatic aberration, although minor, was of an unusual colour (mainly on the green side) that required manual shifting toward the yellow side of the spectrum.

As long as one is mindful of these limitations, the images can be astounding. I failed to really apply it to serious landscapes, but on several occasions I received comments about feeling like the viewer was "inside the image" in a way I have not heard before. I suspect that is partly due to the incredible resolution and dynamic range of the 645Z sensor, but the lens has to take some credit....

My own performance was, as usual, less impressive than the lens I used, but there were a few memorable images. If they were memorable enough to justify a photographer of my humble talents and limited commitment to my craft keeping a full suite of digital 645 gear is another question entirely.

Thanks for showing us this lens Sandy, I might not have said so, however I too felt that I was drawn inside several of the shots, it does show quality.
07-28-2020, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #201
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can afford it and it brings you joy, you deserve it. You discredit your skills anyway. If you lack something, it's time, but that's a common problem as long as one needs to work
07-28-2020, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #202
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

There are no rules man, do what makes you happy

Life is to short to have to justify every little thing that brings us joy. (Also, photography is not serious, but don't tell anyone)

07-28-2020, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sandy, with what you do for a living, hobbies, family, and our current crisis I'm impressed you get any time for photography. Personally, I thought your images this month were representative of the usual Sandy brilliance and really showed off that lens. I've had one in my hands - once - and only on a 645n. That was in my BZ (before 645z) days. I've tried to get close to the 25 with the DA 645 28-45 but other than being big and heavy too, it's not the 25 [sigh]. Perhaps some day, I too can get my hands again on a 25. I must say that your efforts this month made me sit up and take notice. Well done man. Thanks for sharing.

07-28-2020, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah bailed out again then

Some nice and some great images from the lens this month - perhaps the photographer had a small involvement
It's certainly been educational seeing the level of detail the combination kicked out.
And... thank you for the effort you put into commenting this month
07-28-2020, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #205
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are all too kind
07-28-2020, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #206
Pentaxian

You are all too kind

Not really - just honest. You know I’ve always been impressed by your photography. I suspect that (as I know I do) you measure yourself by the misses just a little more than by the hits.

Anyway - your work has been a pleasure this month, as has that of the lens and camera you’ve graced us with
07-29-2020, 03:09 PM - 6 Likes   #207
Pentaxian

This month, Matthew, I've been the Sigma EX DC (not HSM) 30 mm f/1.4. This was the first lens I got for - and at the same time as - my K-30 (I already had my M50/2, which I bought earlier, for my Lumix). I got it then because it was f/1.4 and I wanted to do astrophotography, so I needed to let in as much light as possible ...

... and I knew nothing, Jon Snow.

Anyyyyyyway... you have probably all seen me blethering on about this lens, and my dislike of it: it's too big; it's too heavy; the AF is slow and bad.... This month I decided to take another look at it, and to try my best to leave behind my previous opinions of it.

1. The focus needed calibrating. None of my Pentax lenses have needed that; both my Sigmas have. Hmmph.
2. Start shooting.

Welp.

I ... like it. O_O

I think I really managed to put aside what I thought I thought, and to focus simply on what I could do with the lens. Turns out, it's actually really good. (As long as you don't want halfway-decent AF in live view, of course, but that's a different story; and low-light AF remains a bit meh...)

I've shot every day, but I think there are quite a few days I've not posted. I'll not go back and spam the threads though; the pics are there in my album for anyone who wants to be completist about my little Siggy rapprochement.

From the first I was pleased:

Mousey by -Occasionally Focused-

Yes it was a lucky find, but the lens enabled me to get pretty much exactly what I had wanted from it (bokeh excepted).

I think it can actually give a nice presence to even silly subjects:

Parking by -Occasionally Focused-

It could do with focusing a bit closer, and this is where I did get a bit ratty with the live view AF; often when going for a really close shot, it was easier to have the camera in live view - but that meant the AF got sketchy, and I resorted to manual focus, which led to a few misses. It did do pretty well though overall:

Deliberate mess by -Occasionally Focused-

It does the sky (and That Tree) well:

Bright Dawn by -Occasionally Focused-

And in fact stopped down and astrotracer on board, it really does the stars well too:

Jupiter and Saturn under the Milky Way by -Occasionally Focused-

That led to a discovery of pressing the centre button to zoom in in live view for manual focus. Super-helpful for focusing on the stars. Massively happy about that.

Detail and sharpness cannot be faulted:

St Andrew’s Cathedral by -Occasionally Focused-

I'm still not completely sure of its greatest strengths, so will keep trying things with it.

I like yesterday's though, and it makes me think of the way quite a few pics I've liked have involved a near side and a far, blurred side. Despite the average/mediocre bokeh, it does that well, by virtue of the redonkulous potential sharpness and clarity, and whether it's focal length or the lens-specific character/rendering I don't know, but something there:

No Fake News by -Occasionally Focused-

I can't remember what it cost (and it was a birthday present) back in 2013. I've revised my "don't bother" opinion to a "definitely consider". 8)

I know there are a couple of days still to go, but I wanted to get this done and posted.
07-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #208
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
This month, Matthew, I've been the Sigma EX DC (not HSM) 30 mm f/1.4. This was the first lens I got for - and at the same time as - my K-30 (I already had my M50/2, which I bought earlier, for my Lumix). I got it then because it was f/1.4 and I wanted to do astrophotography, so I needed to let in as much light as possible ...

... and I knew nothing, Jon Snow.

Anyyyyyyway... you have probably all seen me blethering on about this lens, and my dislike of it: it's too big; it's too heavy; the AF is slow and bad.... This month I decided to take another look at it, and to try my best to leave behind my previous opinions of it.

1. The focus needed calibrating. None of my Pentax lenses have needed that; both my Sigmas have. Hmmph.
2. Start shooting.

Welp.

I ... like it. O_O

I think I really managed to put aside what I thought I thought, and to focus simply on what I could do with the lens. Turns out, it's actually really good. (As long as you don't want halfway-decent AF in live view, of course, but that's a different story; and low-light AF remains a bit meh...)

I've shot every day, but I think there are quite a few days I've not posted. I'll not go back and spam the threads though; the pics are there in my album for anyone who wants to be completist about my little Siggy rapprochement.

From the first I was pleased:

Mousey by -Occasionally Focused-

Yes it was a lucky find, but the lens enabled me to get pretty much exactly what I had wanted from it (bokeh excepted).

I think it can actually give a nice presence to even silly subjects:

Parking by -Occasionally Focused-

It could do with focusing a bit closer, and this is where I did get a bit ratty with the live view AF; often when going for a really close shot, it was easier to have the camera in live view - but that meant the AF got sketchy, and I resorted to manual focus, which led to a few misses. It did do pretty well though overall:

Deliberate mess by -Occasionally Focused-

It does the sky (and That Tree) well:

Bright Dawn by -Occasionally Focused-

And in fact stopped down and astrotracer on board, it really does the stars well too:

Jupiter and Saturn under the Milky Way by -Occasionally Focused-

That led to a discovery of pressing the centre button to zoom in in live view for manual focus. Super-helpful for focusing on the stars. Massively happy about that.

Detail and sharpness cannot be faulted:

St Andrew’s Cathedral by -Occasionally Focused-

I'm still not completely sure of its greatest strengths, so will keep trying things with it.

I like yesterday's though, and it makes me think of the way quite a few pics I've liked have involved a near side and a far, blurred side. Despite the average/mediocre bokeh, it does that well, by virtue of the redonkulous potential sharpness and clarity, and whether it's focal length or the lens-specific character/rendering I don't know, but something there:

No Fake News by -Occasionally Focused-

I can't remember what it cost (and it was a birthday present) back in 2013. I've revised my "don't bother" opinion to a "definitely consider". 8)

I know there are a couple of days still to go, but I wanted to get this done and posted.
Glad you have a new friend
07-29-2020, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm out, have a lovely bout of conjunctivitis. Scratchy eyeball and all that. Antibiotics and cream. Hardly been near the PC, or cameras for that matter for a few days now. Will finish up next month, it's not the lens fault.
07-29-2020, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I'm out, have a lovely bout of conjunctivitis. Scratchy eyeball and all that. Antibiotics and cream. Hardly been near the PC, or cameras for that matter for a few days now. Will finish up next month, it's not the lens fault.
Ouch! Man that sucks. I've had it in the past, never again. Take care of yourself.