Original Poster
The challenge is closed now. I'll be back later with the results,

Thanks for participating everybody!

07-09-2020, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
This time picking a winner was harder than ever. There are a lot of cracking entries this round. Thank you all!

So, these were my thoughts on the contributions:
Robert: I like the toning, but overall it's a bit too grainy for me
Laurie: loved your colours, makes me think of the impressionist painters, very soothing and peaceful
Pelto: You're new to the challenge, aren't you? Great to see you joining! The band of clouds in your version is a bit understated - I would like to have seen it displayed more prominently.
Mariwalt: a very smooth, calm and straightforward interpretation. I think there's a bit more 'life' to be uncovered.
Todd: as always a very nice, impeccable b&w conversion expressing moodiness
Strobedumas: and another new joiner? Wonderful! You've delivered a very daring and bold copy! Clever! I love the idea of something hiding in there. Maybe I should go back one day and see what it might be!
Noel: a bit more subdued than I'm used to seeing from you in these challnges. Very nice nevertheless! In #1 my feeling is that the clouds are a bit too undefined for me as there's so much detail to be found in them. The same goes for #2 and I think some land areas could have done with some brightening
Tuggie: I'm always looking forward to seeing what you've added! And this one 's definitely no disappointment - I think it may be your best one yet! I also like the colours, drops and ripples in the water! Very detailed! Great effort!
Graeme: hahaha, the boat + fishermen is a wonderful addition. You can even see their shadows in the water, so that's a plus score for adding that detail!
jmacias: I'd have preferred the red colour to be a bit deeper, but I like the detail in foliage and clouds.

And the winner is ......

Graeme83 for version #2
runner-up: Tuggie76!

Congratulations, @graeme83!
07-09-2020, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Graeme, wonderful PP. And of course Tuggie, and share the sentiments of our judge, always look forward to what you are going to come up with. Btw, Lidy- it's called Covid-19-subdues everything-even Noel
07-09-2020, 05:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry to hear that, Noel! Definitely hope it's temporary!

07-09-2020, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Thanks, glad you appreciated my efforts of getting that fisherman in there. It's nice to have a play with compositing as it's not something I generally do with my own stuff, good practice.

Thanks for providing the photo and of course, judging, shall have a look for something to post the next round.

07-09-2020, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not that I have it, (not that I know of at any rate) but the "storm" has arrived here in South Africa, with close to 10000 new infections on a daily basis. Words like rampant/rampage, raging and wanton are being used now. Did a funeral this morning for a congregant that died from the virus- what a business. Police and Metro cops in abundance at the cemetery, funeral personnel looking like people right out of a movie, and graves being dug in equal abundance to the cops. And of course quite a few other funerals happening. And all the new protocols that dictate all is different.
07-09-2020, 05:55 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, Noel, I feel your pain and misery. It's such an awful thing to happen! They only positive thing I could see in it was the part recovery of the climate, the animal world, and people being more inclined to look after each other. Unfortunately all that is only temporary reprieve. I can only pray for a vaccine at short motice, although the experts say that that's not likely any time soon.

Here in Europe there are many fatalities to mourn and we're fearing a second wave. I often think life will never be the same, we'll have to change our ways and have more respect for this earth and everything on it, not least the animals. The abhorrent way in which we treat them must come to an end.

Hang in there and keep safe!

07-09-2020, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well done Graeme! And thanks Liddy for an interesting picture.

Stay safe Noel, it must be tough as we are coming out the other end with things opening up again.
07-09-2020, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lidy Quote
Robert: I like the toning, but overall it's a bit too grainy for me
I agree, really not my style at all. The grain was to hide my lack of PP skills that kept resulting in overblown highlights
07-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Thanks, glad you appreciated my efforts of getting that fisherman in there. It's nice to have a play with compositing as it's not something I generally do with my own stuff, good practice.

Thanks for providing the photo and of course, judging, shall have a look for something to post the next round.
Thanks, @graeme! Yes, I certainly did! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. The good thing is, the more often you play with a photo, the more you learn from it and the better you get to know your photo editing programs. A big plus for me is also that, while playing, you forget about the less pleasant things in life. Well, that's how it works for me anyway, it gives me a bit of 'selfish' me-time.

So, I hope you'll keep participating and having a good time while doing so. I'm looking forward to your picture!
07-09-2020, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

#337 is up.
07-09-2020, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Thanks for hosting this round @lidy, it was a very nice photo to play with.

Congrats @graeme83.