Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 195 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2020, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single In August 2020

Welcome everyone to the Single In August 2020 Challenge!

Theme days:

Wednesday 5th August: SUNRISE/SUNSET

Wednesday, 12th August: SOMETHING MADE FROM WOOD

Friday, 21st August: B/SELFIES

Wednesday, 26th August: MONOCHROME

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-25-2020, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very much so... but probably in a different lens direction than my norm...
07-25-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in, hopefully with the DFA 85mm 1.4, still waiting on the delivery here in Australia, I know Sandy is too. Failing that I will warm up with the Takumar 83mm 1.9 or perhaps the Auto Takumar 85mm 1.8, but fingers crossed.
07-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. No idea what lens yet. I picked up a Tamron 90/2.5 macro recently but I've done 2 out of the last 3 months with macros so might save that for the Autumn. I enjoyed the FA 28-80 a lot so might try the FA 35-70 which is meant to be a better lens. Or the F 50/1.7 which I haven't used much. Or the M 70-150. Or even a longer prime, Tak 150 or 200. So many choices...

07-25-2020, 11:41 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I'm in for August. Sorry for my finnish, but I think you can find my lens from the list
07-26-2020, 12:56 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. I am going from a big unit (vivitar 105mm macro) to something tiny, my lovely if a little stiff, old (1959) Auto Takumar 35mm f3.5

---------- Post added 07-26-20 at 12:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote

I'm in for August. Sorry for my finnish, but I think you can find my lens from the list
Oooh, is this your last M? Lovely lens. I had one but needed money more :'(
07-26-2020, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I think I’ll be in, but will decide on what lens closer to the end of the month.
I’ve the M50/1.4 staring at me, a new-to-me M35/2.8, a Takumar 135/3.5...

07-26-2020, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I'm in and, I must say, with a bit of nostalgia. In July I completed the first year in the challenge. I remember clearly last-year August with the plastic-fantastic DA 35/2.4 and it was great month in may ways. Thus, running the same lens through the SIC again would be a nice thing, but I still have some newcomers to check first. My gear from the US (including two lenses, some flash and stuff) didn't arrive yet so probably I'm in with the Takumar 50/1.4.
07-26-2020, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will befollowing you all with great interest.
07-26-2020, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote

Oooh, is this your last M? Lovely lens. I had one but needed money more :'(
Yes. 3 years, 17 lenses and 34 months of shooting. When I started this I expected it would take longer. I was prepared for something like 4-5 years, but in the end I kept only 2 months off. First right after first 2 months and second after 13 months of continuous shooting, as I wanted to complete full calendar year. At some point I realized that if I don't keep any more off months, I can finnish in exactly 3 years, so this will be my 19th month in a row.

I might keep September off, as I have some reviews to do...
07-26-2020, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. 3 years, 17 lenses and 34 months of shooting. When I started this I expected it would take longer. I was prepared for something like 4-5 years, but in the end I kept only 2 months off. First right after first 2 months and second after 13 months of continuous shooting, as I wanted to complete full calendar year. At some point I realized that if I don't keep any more off months, I can finnish in exactly 3 years, so this will be my 19th month in a row.

That's very impressive. I must say, a sic without Ismo I'll be weird!

---------- Post added 07-26-20 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I think I’ll be in, but will decide on what lens closer to the end of the month.
I’ve the M50/1.4 staring at me, a new-to-me M35/2.8, a Takumar 135/3.5...
The one I am using is the one you played with for a bit. I drizzled some watchmakers oil into the helicoid and it freed it up. Its still a bit stiff but at least you don't keep unscrewing the damn thing. Should be fun it will certainly be lighter than the vivitar 105mm
07-26-2020, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations I look forward to the M Zoom series in the future
07-26-2020, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The way the deliveries are trickling into Australia, I think the DFA*85 will have to wait for September.

So I'll weigh in with the DA*200 - recently reacquired after trying one for a month in days of yore before the K-1 was a thing. A couple of test shots suggest it covers the full frame admirably: sharp from edge to edge wide open
07-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #14
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The way the deliveries are trickling into Australia, I think the DFA*85 will have to wait for September.
Feels like they are having problems in answering to demand. Good for Ricoh I guess.
07-26-2020, 10:30 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Congratulations I look forward to the M Zoom series in the future
We'll see how I feel about those... My initial tests didn't make me look for them, but we'll see. I have 3 now and most likely will go thru a month with those at least.