Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 195 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2020, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
I'm out as well, I need to focus more on my Film projects. Only so much time in the day.

Love you all, Had so much fun hanging out for a few months again.

Will try to return in the fall, gray days, leaves on the ground, people in the streets.

Here's some high grain Kodak Tmax 3200, with a film version of one of my shots from earlier

Resistance
by Eric Auer, on Flickr

Rest
by Eric Auer, on Flickr

After The Storm-b
by Eric Auer, on Flickr

Elevated
by Eric Auer, on Flickr
You will be missed. You have posted some excellent images in the last couple of months

08-15-2020, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Been taking some shots before bed to keep my hand in and push myself but it's been difficult time-wise lately. I became an uncle for the first time a week ago today and my better half lost her nan, and with her the last of her grandparents, on Friday, so it's been emotionally mixed of late.
Should be able to sort through a few photos and upload some later and hopefully get a few comments in for the last couple of days.

Take care, mate.
08-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #93
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
halfway through the month and I can report on how much I despise zoom lenses....

nothing wrong with the Sigma, I just do not like using them....

(when did this happen to me?)
08-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I despise zoom lenses
I like both, but I notice my shooting style changes depending on whether I choose a zoom or prime . Zooms can make one lazy about composition, and make one prone to zooming and clicking more quickly. Depending on the lens, they might not be as fast, as sharp, or offer the pleasing bokeh of an equivalent prime.

08-15-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #95
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I like both, but I notice my shooting style changes depending on whether I choose a zoom or prime .Zooms can make one lazy about composition, and make one prone to zooming and clicking more quickly. Depending on the lens, they might not be as fast, as sharp, or offer the pleasing bokeh of an equivalent prime.
exactly this - I noticed my shooting becoming undisciplined and lazy.....

I've started using this lens as a prime and the shots immediately became better composed and focused....

but I cannot wait for this month to be over...
08-15-2020, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #96
Site Supporter

Zooms are my absolute fav street lenses. Even more so now with distancing etc.

But I was always a sniper/fisherman and patience + zoom = success
08-15-2020, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

for street, I really liked using the DA 40 XS on my K-5, with a good balance between FOV and compactness. If I had owned a K-30 at that time, I could have put it in a cargo pocket.

If I have no unforeseen expenses at the end of the year, I will get a GR-III for my walk around and street camera.

08-16-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #98
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
halfway through the month and I can report on how much I despise zoom lenses....
Welcome to my World... you realise now that your on the slippery slope, it's all downhill from now on.
08-16-2020, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter

24-120mm at F8 and I'm good.

Also modern 28-300mm lenses from almost any major manuf are simply awesome.

It's never been a better time for Zooms, as modern cameras perform so well at high ISO "Slow" compact zooms are great walk arounds.
08-16-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, I adore my 50-200. After calibrating, its as sharp as anything, lightweight and wr. I am with Eric on the longer range street because I am a coward

Re. Yesterdays picture, It turns out that camera shop is not reopening. Lancaster has lost loads of shops since the outbreak and losing Wilkinson cameras is the biggest blow as it was the last camera shop in the city!
08-16-2020, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #101
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Actually, I adore my 50-200. After calibrating, its as sharp as anything, lightweight and wr. I am with Eric on the longer range street because I am a coward

Re. Yesterdays picture, It turns out that camera shop is not reopening. Lancaster has lost loads of shops since the outbreak and losing Wilkinson cameras is the biggest blow as it was the last camera shop in the city!
Once you have a good spot to hang out for a bit and sorta blend in, the zoom gives you the option of either shooting up close or quickly switch distances without drawing any attention to yourself.
I don't mind being in peoples faces at all, Lived in NYC for 10+ years but I get my best shots usually when not noticed or just ignored.

Here's an interesting read, somewhat related: The Fisherman of Barcelona | Create
08-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #102
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to my World... you realise now that your on the slippery slope, it's all downhill from now on.

been on that slope for a bit now....

for me, the good travel-zoom will always have its place with me, but never as a primary lens.....

it's interesting how this stirred up the nest of pro/con in here....
08-16-2020, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #103
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have couple of zooms bought to try on challenge and this is what I worry. I'll try to pull thru...
08-16-2020, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Get your good self into a Single In Challenge Kerrowdown! I'd love to see you take one of your ladies out for a month....
08-17-2020, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
Once you have a good spot to hang out for a bit and sorta blend in, the zoom gives you the option of either shooting up close or quickly switch distances without drawing any attention to yourself.
I don't mind being in peoples faces at all, Lived in NYC for 10+ years but I get my best shots usually when not noticed or just ignored.

Here's an interesting read, somewhat related: The Fisherman of Barcelona | Create
Thanks Eric, that's brilliant. I am fairly new to serious photography but visited Barcelona a few times prior to that. I really need to go back but not until things settle down thanks for sharing that, I really enjoyed it