Congrats on Explored.
Thanks a lot!

08-11-2020, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Great shot Congrats!
And my 'clouds' got explored, too My second 'explored' ever.
Kudos on the “explore”...well deserved!
08-11-2020, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
Todd suggested that I try my long exposure groin shot in b&w, so I did. Turns out to have been a good call as it's been Explored today!

Congrats!
08-20-2020, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Talkative lot aren't we?

Talkative lot aren't we? Eight days since anyone "chatted". I'll just flag that a few days away on a photoshoot in new territory (COVID free) saw my shutter finger rejuvenated, with over 500 pictures in that short period. The majority were crap of course, but it was so good to see new terrain. Since returning home - brain drain, really struggling for new ideas in familiar territory. I find the themes very helpful in dealing with that, so thank you to those who throw in suggestions. A shout out to Todd as well, for keeping the show running each month, despite facing similar pressures to the rest of us.

So how is everyone going? Managing to keep hand sanitiser off lenses and viewfinders? Discovered that masks can be handy flash diffusers? How constraining has COVID-19 been in your home areas? Any goss on when the K-new will be released? Will Pam keep the Fuji? What's Zippy's next camera investment? How's minimonster faring with his LBA? Who's enjoying the DA 55-300PLM? And where's Bruce?

08-20-2020, 03:16 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Talkative lot aren't we? Eight days since anyone "chatted". I'll just flag that a few days away on a photoshoot in new territory (COVID free) saw my shutter finger rejuvenated, with over 500 pictures in that short period. The majority were crap of course, but it was so good to see new terrain. Since returning home - brain drain, really struggling for new ideas in familiar territory. I find the themes very helpful in dealing with that, so thank you to those who throw in suggestions. A shout out to Todd as well, for keeping the show running each month, despite facing similar pressures to the rest of us.

So how is everyone going? Managing to keep hand sanitiser off lenses and viewfinders? Discovered that masks can be handy flash diffusers? How constraining has COVID-19 been in your home areas? Any goss on when the K-new will be released? Will Pam keep the Fuji? What's Zippy's next camera investment? How's minimonster faring with his LBA? Who's enjoying the DA 55-300PLM? And where's Bruce?

LOL

Tumbleweeds have been abounding, rather.

All good here, but preoccupied with chasing up refinancing (previous bank were idiots about our wish to borrow more against the house for renovations); settling in to new job; amping up the magic practice.

Somewhere in there I’m managing to take at least two photos a day (for this and for the SI challenge).

Not loving my sigma 70-300 (almost typed 30-700; that’d be quite a different prospect...) as a daily driver.

Rather amused by the number of trolleys out and about in Blacktown and Westmead waiting for me to come across them.
08-20-2020, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Rather amused by the number of trolleys out and about in Blacktown and Westmead waiting for me to come across them.
Is it rut season? Keep your distance!
08-20-2020, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #52
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

surviving here - working from home, since March, so not new but struggling with inspiration for photography's sake....

discovered (similar to Tsuken) that I despise zoom lenses and will probably be selling of this month's SIC lens after the month closes...

our local governments seem to be lifting some of the C-19 restrictions here, which seem to be a strange thing given the rest of the country's apocalyptic reporting...

08-20-2020, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Who's enjoying the DA 55-300PLM?
I am, pretty much But I realized an interesting thing: each time I put it on, almost immediately I go beyond 200 mm to get some magnification. As a result, I actually do not know how it performs at lower FL and have never actually considered is as a, say, 70 mm FL lens. The chances are that it will be my lens for September Single-In challenge. Ok, it is quite slow but it may be incentive to use more flash when indoor.

Apart from that - pretty good. Daily-In gives me the opportunities to use my other lenses and not only the SIC one (yeah, I know it's not forbidden in SIC but usually my present lens stays on the camera most of the time). I re-discovered 'plastic fantastic' DA 35 and DA 21 limited.
08-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
... Not loving my sigma 70-300 as a daily driver.
I'm assuming it's a heavy, bulky job then .. I've been revisiting my old but compact Sigma DC 18-200 recently and found it quite pleasing.

Perhaps trolleys should be nominated as a theme next month

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
... discovered that I despise zoom lenses ...
Interesting. I've often puzzled over the primes/zoom discussions, but as I've gained experience I've found myself picking up a zoom much less frequently, except when travelling, when I still find a zoom invaluable. On my very recent road trip I took 10 lenses, but used only 3, the DFA15-30, the DA20-40 and the DA55-300PLM. I could readily and more comfortably have got by with just the latter two.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
I am, pretty much But I realized an interesting thing: each time I put it on, almost immediately I go beyond 200 mm to get some magnification. As a result, I actually do not know how it performs at lower FL and have never actually considered is as a, say, 70 mm FL lens. The chances are that it will be my lens for September Single-In challenge. Ok, it is quite slow but it may be incentive to use more flash when indoor...
I go the other direction. Sure I use the long end, especially in the bush, but even there, and certainly in built up areas, I've found the shorter end (<100) the most often used. So much so that it's smc predecessor often served as a walkaround lens on trips where I was trying to minimise weight and bulk. I love the fast, quiet AF of the PLM version, although yes, it's best in good light. It can serve well for macro too, using one of the Raynox snap-ons - another light addition to a travel kit.
08-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #55
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. I've often puzzled over the primes/zoom discussions, but as I've gained experience I've found myself picking up a zoom much less frequently, except when travelling, when I still find a zoom invaluable. On my very recent road trip I took 10 lenses, but used only 3, the DFA15-30, the DA20-40 and the DA55-300PLM. I could readily and more comfortably have got by with just the latter two.

I have a couple of AF zooms, but have sold all my MF zooms except one - zooms have their place for me, which is for convenience (travel) or in uncertain/unfamiliar territory....

beyond that, however, gimme a bag with a second body and 2 extra primes and I'm good for the day...
08-20-2020, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have a couple of AF zooms, but have sold all my MF zooms except one - zooms have their place for me, which is for convenience (travel) or in uncertain/unfamiliar territory....

beyond that, however, gimme a bag with a second body and 2 extra primes and I'm good for the day...
My favourite zooms are probably the MF A 24-50 and A 35-105 (stack of primes). Both are amazing although the 24-50 is a lot easier to carry about. I like my AF F zooms as well. That said, I own more primes than zooms both MF and AF. The DA 18-135 is great for travel and I'm starting to really like the 55-300 PLM.

I like all my lenses really.
08-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well there are a few zooms I like, the Pentax 20-40 is so enjoyable I name it my "if I could only have one lens". I am enjoying the 55-300 PLM very much. The only prime I like is that other make (Canon) 32mm 1.4,

On my Ollies I like the 12-40 pro lens, but the EM5/2 and lens are as heavy and not as easy to hold as my new KP. I have the Olly 40-150 pro and you can count my flickr shots with it on one hand.
Hey anyone want to buy or trade me for an Olly 40-150 2.8?
My next camera as Rod wonders, well, the new Pentax is keeping me excited, the new Canon M5 mark2, is a maybe well see when it comes out.

I have enjoyed all my time with Olympus, but its time to let it all go.....come on guys start bidding...$1000CDN you can have it all.
I usually have an item to give away, cus I am like that and I enjoy it....todays item is a Pentax K5, not sure but around 5000 clicks.

Never tried a Raynox on any lens so may have to look into that, thinking about a Pentax 1.4 teleconverter if anyone can tell me if its any good.
OK that should be enough rambling to keep it going... =)
08-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #58
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote

I have enjoyed all my time with Olympus, but its time to let it all go.....come on guys start bidding...$1000CDN you can have it all.
I usually have an item to give away, cus I am like that and I enjoy it....todays item is a Pentax K5, not sure but around 5000 clicks.

if there are any manual focus lenses in there, we may need to talk.....
08-21-2020, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

I'm assuming it's a heavy, bulky job then .. I've been revisiting my old but compact Sigma DC 18-200 recently and found it quite pleasing.
No, quite light. I just find it uninspiring, I guess.

Or maybe I’m just uninspired atm...

Perhaps trolleys should be nominated as a theme next month

I just know that the day trolleys come up as a theme I won’t come across a single one. xP
08-21-2020, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Theme reminder

No shopping trolleys, but a reminder of this weekend's themes :

Saturday Aug 22 = motion blur
Sunday Aug 23 = rusted