Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #340 - Fisherman under dark skies

G'day again everyone,

Thank you to Astonm for hosting #339 and selecting me for this challenge. It was a surprise to be back in the hosting chair but I think the image I have selected for challenge #340 will interest many of you and give you plenty of options to pursue for versions to create.

A bit about the image: This image was captured with a K5 and the SMC DA 15mm LTD lens. The day was one of changeable weather so the sky was a real treat and should give you plenty to work with. The scene is underexposed as it was shot contra jour and there is a bit of light blown out where the sun is peaking through the clouds. But the K5 sensor was pretty good for raising shadows so there's plenty of detail to expose or you can go in whatever direction suits you however many times.

I will aim to wrap this up in a week or so to enable the next host to take over in prep for the next weekend. I will look to close and nominate a new host on Thursday 13 August in Oz time.

A DNG and jpeg of the challenge image can be downloaded here: My Files

Hope you all enjoy this one and push some boundaries with your creations.

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

08-05-2020, 09:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats, Tas!

Lovely picture!

1st attempt:
Attached Images

08-05-2020, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Nice picture, had an initial go but I might be back to take another crack at this one. Gone for a soft and warm feel.

Name:  On the coastline (326 of 542).jpg
Views: 335
Size:  147.4 KB
08-05-2020, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Went for a brighter look, but a colder feel to appreciate the discomfort of a cold morning, increased structureto add a bit of grit.

08-05-2020, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit late this time. Lot of fun working on this great photo.

Had an idea to improve my submission,here is number 2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by mariwalt; 08-08-2020 at 12:43 PM.
08-07-2020, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
G'day everyone,

Good to see we've kicked of PP #340 well with an array of versions with their own look and feel. Some compositional variety along with different preferences for how light or dark the scene is shows a range of approaches to the moment captured. It's always interesting to see the variety created in these challenges and yet again this is on show here.

Hopefully with the weekend upon us we'll see some fresh versions appear and see others draw out the gritty concrete textures as mariwalt has, or work the sky differently to get that variation of light and dark to work in their own unique vision.

Some background on this image:

This image was captured in early 2016 at the Newcastle Baths. These are ocean swimming pools created on a headland, this is one of three around Newcastle, NSW, Australia. I used to love visiting this area when I lived in Newcastle around 5 years ago. On this particular day there was a strong onshore system driving some large waves to levels that are not normally seen here. The waves were crashing through the baths and coming up the ramp between the Fisherman in the image and the location I was capturing this from.

At the time the weather conditions had drawn a bit of a crowd and no wonder too as it's a sight to see when the ocean shows it's power. Mesmerizing stuff. I will share some links to three images taken around this time, including one with old mate fisherman captured in this challenge, at the end.

Anyhoo, catch you all late next week to wrap this one up.

Tas
08-08-2020, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Been a few weeks so I've done one of these.... just something simple, trying to get a pano vibe to this one

08-09-2020, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely photo to work with!

08-10-2020, 08:08 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I added a couple of Dolphins as that wave was crying out for some! I won't be able to host any challenges for a couple of weeks, but just had to join in!

Last edited by tuggie76; 02-05-2021 at 11:10 AM.
08-10-2020, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

This was quite an interesting photo. Here's my version.

Last edited by jmacias; 03-07-2021 at 08:25 PM.
08-11-2020, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

"Pink in the Morning.... Sailor Take Warning" (I think I must be going thru a "purple phase???!!)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Closing soon

G'day Everyone,

Thank you to those who've taken up PP Challenge #340.

I plan on closing this challenge in approx 12 hours, so anyone interested in adding a new version or take on this challenge for the first time please do so, the more the merrier. I mean, we still don't have a 1:1 square framing.

Will 'see you all again soon' when I draw the final curtain on Barry the Fisherman at the Newcastle Baths.

Tas
08-13-2020, 11:17 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

If its not too late I thought I would have a crack at a square version and in black and white this time.

Name:  On the coastline (326 of 542) 1.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  195.8 KB
08-13-2020, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As Jim Morrison once sang: This is the end...

...to PP Challenge #340. Okay, maybe he didn't sing that last bit.

Hello, and thank you to of you who took on the Challenge this week, I hope you found the image the right type of image for a challenge like this and enjoyed creating your version(s).

As mentioned, this was one of a series of images I captured at the time, I will share some of what I did, including a capture of this fisherman from near the location used in capturing the #340 challenge image. But this is not about me, but about how each version was created by you and as host I like to provide some feedback.
@lidy First cab off the rank and has chosen to remove excess elements in the frame that can distract from the primary subject. I like the choice to line the edge of the concrete section to the corner too. The choice of complimentary colours is clear to see, and I particularly like the detail and light captured on the wet concrete surfaces.

@gareme83
This styilsed version appears to have a 4:5 framing, a framing style I use quite often. The concrete edge again lines up with the corner of the frame. The light and dark areas of this image have been created to emphasise parts of the frame it appears, with warmer tones and a filmic quality that works a treat.

@Arjay Bee The whole of the frame was retained in this lighter brighter version that to me seems to draw out the subtlety of the warm light on the horizon and reflected in the wet concrete in front of our subject. The expansiveness of the wide angle lens is here for all to see and I must say, I am a big cloud fan.

@mariwalt A stronger crop in this version locks us onto our fisherman with stronger contrast capturing the detail in the person and really highlighting the aged surfaces in the concrete section where our fisherman is standing. The grey clouds look great including the lighter clouds off in the distance all showing the turbulent sky.

@bertwert I like the pano framing, for isolation from the heavier sky changing the feel of this scene to what could be a pleasant afternoon fish with a setting sun in the distance. The exposure of the surfaces and our subject looks spot on and very natural.

@noelcmn Three versions created here all with different framing. The strong crop in image number 1 seems to tell a tale of a man taking on the sea. There's a hint of menace created with the darker exposure being retained. The strong green is otherworldly in version 2 the turquoise tones seems to highlight the warmth in the sky on the horizon and is enhanced with this choice. The final black and white image has our fisherman, like in image 2, more a part of a larger world and what is happening around him. This image is like an early morning fisherman you might come across alone until you arrive with your camera.

@tuggie76 Like an onion, layers can be the key to some PP magic. What's ironic is the dolphins added are close to a placed called the Cowrie Hole, a surfing spot regularly accessed by surfers who jump in off to the right of where our fisherman is in the frame. Some subtle warm tones here create a different look to the scene highlighting detail in the wet concrete but more importantly really creating some magic in the sky on the horizon.

@jmacais A vertical framing and overall lighter scene making the warm sky impressive and contrasting with the neutral grey clouds in the distance. The brighter exposure choice makes this seem closer to the middle of the day at the time of capture.

@astonm Purple worked for Prince, right? Good use of rule of thirds for our Fisherman, he anchors the frame nicely. The green wall is really drawn out in contrast with the magenta sky, with an overall warm feel to the tones in the sky and on the concrete surface. Very natural sharpening/contrast too.

@graeme83 Back for a final version and a square frame of the scene. Always good to see. This version has the similar heavy clouds to the version created earlier with strong contrast from the background sky pointing to an approaching storm. This same strong black versus white works a treat due to the railings and concrete being emphasised and highlighting how it frames our subject.
So that's it then, another challenge done with only a couple of items to tidy up. Firstly, I must now select our host for Challenge #341. For our next host I am going to select @graeme83. I really liked the choices and originality in your first version, I like where a more artistic approach can add to a scene and the choices made have drawn my eye the most.

Thank you to all who gave this challenge a go. As mentioned I will add some inks to a set of images captured at the same time as the challenge photo.

The timing was March 2016, making this early Autumn, and changeable weather abounds at this time. This day was one of several impacted by high tides and a strong onshore weather front. The scene was captured at the Newcastle Baths and this particular frame was captured by squatting down in front of the wall of the concrete section below the railing in the challenge image: Run away! | Not the usual conditions at the Ocean Baths in N? | Flickr in this scene the water level is surging through the pool towards me and the tripod leg was being pulled out of the way by a bloke that said look out. This prompted me to take stock of the moment as I was about to be taken out by a wall of water. I got wet but not as badly as it could have been. It meant that I could relocate and capture this scene: End of days on Instagram | It was interesting to see the sur? | Flickr

That second image shows more of the baths and what the conditions were like on this day. To the left is where the fisherman was, and you can get a better sense of the wave size behind the green concrete wall/seating and, to the right of frame, where I took the challenge image from. In the foreground where the water is still surging up the ramp is where I was to capture the first of these three images and is where I got a bit wet whilst running away. The PP I chose for this scene was to emphasise the angry weather and it contrasts from what I chose to do for my Fisherman image captured here.

Fishing at the Baths | Like a lot of my photos, they are bes? | Flickr

Thanks again everyone, I look forward to 'seeing' you all again for a PP Challenge near you.

Tas
08-13-2020, 10:30 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks Tas! It was a fun image to work with and great entries all around.
Appreciate you taking the time for some detailed feedback and of course the extra info on the scene.

I will have a think of a worthy image for the next round and hopefully get one up later today.