Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

PP Challenge #343

Welcome to Post Processing Challenge #343!
I will let this run for a week so you have until the 9th September to submit your entries.

Thanks to tmlawes for hosting the last round and selecting me as winner.

As we have had a few coastal landscapes recently I thought I would offer something different this week, sticking with landscape but transporting us inland to the Peak District National Park, specifically the Goyt Valley around Errwood reservoir in Derbyshire. It was a dreary and wet start to the day and I was mightily tempted by one of the earlier misty shots, but as I have done fog a few times already I went with this one later in the day when the sun made a dramatic appearance. A nice mix of golden winters afternoon light and mist over the trees as the sun burns the moisture away.

Preview
Name:  IMGP7424.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  142.3 KB

DNG Download

SOOC JPG Download

For the next host:
The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

09-02-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

09-04-2020, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A little change to the aspect ratio, shadow, and a slight color adjustment.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
09-04-2020, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

new toy.... cheapie XP-Pen scribble tablet... this made a perfect test-bed!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
09-06-2020, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my try.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
09-07-2020, 06:43 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Here is my version. I tried to make it as sharp as I could.

Last edited by jmacias; 03-07-2021 at 08:25 PM.
09-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Time to close this one off,

noelcmn, Once again a few entries to choose from, I like the golden glow and bright feel of the first one and I really like what you have done to the sky in the last. The black and white is a nice touch too and the only one amongst the group to try it. A nice overall balance and stripping the colour seems to emphasize the many layers on offer in the scene.

tmlawes, You have kept the colour quite subdued which is something I quite often do myself, the crop works well and you have handled the highs and lows well retaining lots of detail throughout though I find myself wanting a bit more light and colour in the first layer of trees. The wall up front however is just about perfect, allowing the low sun to pick out just enough.

astonm, Making good use of the tablet here, such a bright and happy edit. I really appreciate the boost of green in the trees, the version of this picture that I did myself was very similar in that regard so I knew the colour that was on offer hidden in those shadows. I like how you have handled the sky too, keeping it bright but pulling it back just enough.

mariwalt, Again a nice overall balance and drawing out a bit of colour to the trees, however (and if this was your intent I apologise) the colour balance seems a bit off to me, particularly with the grass, I find it a bit distracting.

jmacias, Mission accomplished with the sharpness, definitely brings a different feel to the image pairing down the mistiness to a few concentrated areas. A nice and bright take on the scene.

All nice entries and thanks to you all for taking part, but as winner this week I have to go with astonm. Its the one that stands out to me the most and making good use of the elements that drew me to the view in the first place.
So congratulations to astonm and over to you for #344!

09-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for the beautiful picture and for hosting this round @graeme83.
Congrats @astonm!
09-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

thank you! Thanks for such a lovely picture to play with. I should have something up later to day for everyone.
09-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

PP Challenge #344 up and running for you!

Post-Processing Challenge #344 - SuperCub From the Air - PentaxForums.com