Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2020, 10:56 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Graffiti and Murals

Whilst on my morning walk, I discovered a new to me mural. I have posted graffiti and murals before on other threads, but can not find one devoted to the subject. So, here is my first post of a new thread:-

Mural details near Horbury , West Yorkshire.

09-18-2020, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I posted this before. Location Silver Bow ghost town Nevada.
09-18-2020, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Street ART thread seems fitting for this? Street ART! - PentaxForums.com
09-18-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
The Street ART thread seems fitting for this? Street ART! - PentaxForums.com
Thank you for this info.

---------- Post added 09-18-20 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
This also belongs in the thread "Buildings past their prime"

---------- Post added 09-18-20 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
This also belongs in the thread "Buildings past their prime"

09-18-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Already posted is graffiti/mural that is not found in a city street. So yeah, this thread would be a more inclusive graffiti/mural thread than just street art.
09-19-2020, 04:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Considering the title of the thread is Graffiti and Murals the photo does show a building covered in graffiti.

If one were to become technical the first shots may very well be of a mural but there is no reference point to that fact.

A mural is a painting applied directly to a wall usually in a public space. As posted there is nothing to give reference to it being a mural. Some very nice art but no point of reference.
09-19-2020, 04:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave_roe Quote
Considering the title of the thread is Graffiti and Murals the photo does show a building covered in graffiti.

If one were to become technical the first shots may very well be of a mural but there is no reference point to that fact.

A mural is a painting applied directly to a wall usually in a public space. As posted there is nothing to give reference to it being a mural. Some very nice art but no point of reference.
That would be a question for he OP, is he interested in the art, for the sake of the art, or for the statement it makes, that requires the context of where it is painted

09-19-2020, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I just finished doing a short video piece about murals around our city because they're pretty popular right now. Lots of cities are having them painted. I had planned to go out this morning and shoot stills at some of the locations I'd visited, but instead I'm fooling around reading stuff online. Here's the piece I shot. Sorry about the audio being so low. That sometimes happens when we upload things to YouTube.

09-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
That would be a question for he OP, is he interested in the art, for the sake of the art, or for the statement it makes, that requires the context of where it is painted
Please lets us not over complicate the issue:-). I only started the thread because I could not find one already, (never thought to check out street art). If you see a piece of graffiti or a mural just share it if you consider it worthy, whether as the whole building or wall or detail. It does not matter. My initial post was a series of details of a mural I never expected, and it seemed the best way to show the best parts of the mural. The other post with the collapsed shed is equally valid in my eyes.
09-19-2020, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good idea!

Here are some from Hong Kong:

09-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I just finished doing a short video piece about murals around our city because they're pretty popular right now. Lots of cities are having them painted. I had planned to go out this morning and shoot stills at some of the locations I'd visited, but instead I'm fooling around reading stuff online. Here's the piece I shot. Sorry about the audio being so low. That sometimes happens when we upload things to YouTube.

OKC Murals - YouTube
Likewise here in the UK, a lot of urban areas are sprucing up dilapidated buildings etc. with murals, but the ones I first posted here are in a motorway underpass for pedestrians and cyclists just in the country side. Totally unexpected!
09-21-2020, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice Idea. Once we were in Valparaiso (Chile) and I got a feeling I am on graffiti capital of the word. But San Francisco does have some interesting examples as well. Here are couple of different kind: one is amateurs and bold, another is professional and politically correct:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
09-22-2020, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Nice Idea. Once we were in Valparaiso (Chile) and I got a feeling I am on graffiti capital of the word. But San Francisco does have some interesting examples as well. Here are couple of different kind: one is amateurs and bold, another is professional and politically correct:
The lips are by fnnch; he is a fairly famous street artist in San Francisco. He is most famous for his honey bears. Very likely the owner of that garage paid mucho $$$ to get those lips painted on the house. But of course there are two layers of "graffiti" here; one layer is the somewhat famous fnnch lips, and the second layer are the markers and pens defacing that graffiti with more graffiti. (If you read the markers carefully, it appears that the second artist is not a fan of Mr. fnnch.)

The second mural, I believe, is Mona Caron; she is not as flashy or as famous, but she is more profound; this mural (18th Street) is less than 500 meters from my home.
09-23-2020, 12:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Here in the Scottish Highlands there's an abandoned oil storage facility comprising about 45 large tanks. Heavily overgrown with gorse in places it's tricky to get round at any speed. There's a tattoo artist from Gdansk comes over every so often and paints some amazing works on the side of the tanks.
Also attached an interior shot of one of the tanks still with some oil remaining. it's an incredible place that reminds me a little of Tarkovsky's Stalker
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
09-23-2020, 05:31 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
The lips are by fnnch; he is a fairly famous street artist in San Francisco. He is most famous for his honey bears. Very likely the owner of that garage paid mucho $$$ to get those lips painted on the house. But of course there are two layers of "graffiti" here; one layer is the somewhat famous fnnch lips, and the second layer are the markers and pens defacing that graffiti with more graffiti. (If you read the markers carefully, it appears that the second artist is not a fan of Mr. fnnch.)

The second mural, I believe, is Mona Caron; she is not as flashy or as famous, but she is more profound; this mural (18th Street) is less than 500 meters from my home.
Thanks PocketPixels. That was educational. Many treasures could be found on walls and doors. I live on East Bay so my knowledge about San Francisco is not that deep. Do you know who painted this?.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by jumbleview; 09-23-2020 at 06:10 AM.