Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 149 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 03:32 PM - 3 Likes   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well time to wrap up the month with the Pentax FA*85 f1.4. I'll start and end with 'it's a STAR lens, duh.' I like this lens, period. It's a nice size and weight. Works just like it should on the K-1II. I found this month that the focal length is harder to use on a cropped sensor, have to get back to far for say people sized subjects but on full frame, it's just right. I have no complaints about any of the handling or build qualities of this lens, it's all good. Anytime I use one of these Pentax lenses with the auto / manual focus clutch ring, it takes a few shots to remember that otherwise, no big deal. My only complaint is that the MFD at 85cm, is a bit hard to work with on say flower closeups, but I don't believe that what anyone had in mind for this lens anyway. Wide open the bokeh from the 9 blades is smooth and pleasing to me. I feel it also produces nice starbursts as well. Like I said, it's a star lens and gives star lens results.

I'm not overly excited about my photography this month and I'll chalk it up to COVID placing limits on my movements and smoke from local wildfires etc. None the less, I enjoyed many of the images shared by all of you. Good stuff. As always, thank you all for comments on my images. I'll be back another month down the line.

11-02-2020, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #137
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well time to wrap up the month with the Pentax FA*85 f1.4. I'll start and end with 'it's a STAR lens, duh.' I like this lens, period. It's a nice size and weight. Works just like it should on the K-1II. I found this month that the focal length is harder to use on a cropped sensor, have to get back to far for say people sized subjects but on full frame, it's just right. I have no complaints about any of the handling or build qualities of this lens, it's all good. Anytime I use one of these Pentax lenses with the auto / manual focus clutch ring, it takes a few shots to remember that otherwise, no big deal. My only complaint is that the MFD at 85cm, is a bit hard to work with on say flower closeups, but I don't believe that what anyone had in mind for this lens anyway. Wide open the bokeh from the 9 blades is smooth and pleasing to me. I feel it also produces nice starbursts as well. Like I said, it's a star lens and gives star lens results.

I'm not overly excited about my photography this month and I'll chalk it up to COVID placing limits on my movements and smoke from local wildfires etc. None the less, I enjoyed many of the images shared by all of you. Good stuff. As always, thank you all for comments on my images. I'll be back another month down the line.
I agree , the mfd is the only slight negative to what is really a star lens