Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a question:

Does a screen shot count? I know taking a shot of a screen with an optical lens counts... but what about taking a picture by screen shot mode on a smart device or laptop? I'm inclined to waffle on this one. I don't want to be flooded with them, but sometimes there is a creative element to a self referential screen shot etc.

10-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Flickr is stuffed for me at the moment. Going to watch the footy instead and catch up with DIC Saturday a.m.

Flickr is down here too
10-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Here's a question:

Does a screen shot count? I know taking a shot of a screen with an optical lens counts... but what about taking a picture by screen shot mode on a smart device or laptop? I'm inclined to waffle on this one. I don't want to be flooded with them, but sometimes there is a creative element to a self referential screen shot etc.
Go for it! I keep thinking about doing something with a scanner...

No Flickr for me either. Bad panda
10-09-2020, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had Flickr for only a moment before it was down again.

Early this morning, I had an appointment that ran almost into my first teleconference of the day.
This meeting is usually a long one that only requires my active participation for 5-10% percent of the time allotted. Rather than races home to sit inside and dial in, I took advantage of both the beautiful weather and the modern communication infrastructure to pull into a park and monitor the proceedings from a parking spot overlooking a lake and watch the morning paddlers. Occasionally, I'd crank up the volume and step away from my car to take pictures. It was the most productive meeting I've been part of so far, and once Flickr comes back online, I'm sure I will have at least one good picture to show for the time well spent.

10-10-2020, 03:11 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange and uncanny are the ways of Flickr, what Man can know them? I woke to find my restored 25 year old image of a Humvee had hit Explore.

I will have to catch up on commenting and posting the last few days now.

Last edited by robgski; 10-10-2020 at 04:56 AM.
10-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Been busy to the point I didn't even find out Flickr had been down until I saw it mentioned on here. Managed to get some things posted for the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th posted just now however.
Still need to catch up with commenting, which I'll do a little later on. If they're on the Flickr Group I'll definitely throw a comment on it!
10-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I noticed Flickr problem too. it is a bummer. still down.

10-10-2020, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Raining weather, and not the kind that makes for good pictures, I will have to get creative today.

I spent part of my day sorting out the pictures I'd taken over the past 12 months to pick 10 or so that I feel are technically good, but also convey the town and county I live in. These will be submitted to the annual calendar contest sponsored by our local newspaper and judged by a professional photographer who lives in our area.
I look forward to this event every year, I have part participated since 2011. Knowing there will be an opportunity to submit pictures with a specific focus gives me an impetus to always have a camera with me. Knowing that many very good photographers will submit encourages me to create better more unique work every year, and look for new locations, or ways to capture familiar locations in a new way, as well as try to capture the people of the area, not just another stunning landscape for which this regions is famed. I have gotten up early, stayed up late, hiked to remote areas, but I've also stopped at locations I've passed by every day because I felt drawn to something everytime I passed, but never stopped to figure out why. I also made mental notes to revisit certain places at different seasons, or weather conditions, and several times I was rewarded with a good opportunity for a unique image.
The best part has been the critiques our work receives during the announcement of each month's featured photo as well as some honorable mentions, people would pay a lot of money to receive this expert review. It has certainly caused me to be much more conscientious in composing my images.

The culling of images never stops for me, and reviewing images months after the fact has made it easier for me to be very cold-blooded and objective in deciding what to submit. This year I discarded a few good images knowing that someone else would probably submit something similar.
After editing and cropping the full sized image, I also viewed my final 10 as thumbnails or varying size. If they are well composed images, that will be apparent by the way my eye is drawn to each. I look forward to December when the calendars will be published, not only for my images, but to see the excellent work others will submit.
10-11-2020, 09:21 PM - 4 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to jump in here. I assumed that when I retired I would have a lot more time, well maybe but we decided to move, and that took a lot of time, then Covid has just been weird, but part of that coincided with after move organization so it worked out. Then we had a lot of trips back and forth to Ohio as my wife's father was very ill, and then passed on at the age of 89. During all of that time I have been able to take the camera to some interesting places, and have also acquired some new to me old manual lenses, a couple that have not even been mounted yet, in addition to an MX, which I sent off to Eric and is now a nice working camera. I've been lazy too with those lenses, I hate to just take random pictures for the purpose of testing a lens. Subject is important too, even though I end up with. lot of random photos of nothing. So I'm glad to get back into the "daily" to hopefully spark some creativity. Time to get to bed now and dream creatively, lol.
10-12-2020, 01:33 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I'm going to jump in here .... So I'm glad to get back into the "daily" to hopefully spark some creativity. Time to get to bed now and dream creatively, lol.
It will be great to have you on board Tom.
10-12-2020, 05:16 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to jump in here.
Welcome aboard Tom. Show us those creative dreams. :-))
10-12-2020, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Safety shot again today, no time due to work. I did get to go swimming, at least.
10-12-2020, 11:56 PM   #73
Pentaxian

I'm going to jump in here.... So I'm glad to get back into the "daily" to hopefully spark some creativity. Time to get to bed now and dream creatively, lol.

Welcome welcome 8)
10-13-2020, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #74
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been out of it for a few days. 300 or so? More? I don't know. Maybe I could try for a MoNovember. The inspiration isn't likely to return all by itself

QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
I treated myself to a graphics tablet today, figured it would make masking, dodge and burning, etc a bit more natural. Its weird when you are used to using a mouse, going to take a bit of getting used too.
Went with a Huion (950P), they seem to get half decent reviews and much cheaper than the Wacom stuff.
Intrigued if anyone else uses or has used one for photo editing?
I bought a (used) large Wacom tablet. It's really nice for editing, with programmable buttons on the side for the most used shortcuts. It takes some time getting used to, at least it did for me.

The large Wacom is actually quite large. I know, it's probably why they call it "large" It's really a tad too big for my modestly sized desk, so it tends not to be used as often as it should. I probably should have found a medium sized one instead - but when buying second-hand there's not that much to choose from. Besides, the price was too good
10-15-2020, 02:51 AM - 3 Likes   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heading to Colorado in a few hours. I will try to successfully perform a fully mobile and wireless transfer, editing, and upload process while I am away. My tried and trusted K-1, 18-135WR, and DA 40XS will go with me, but I was told about two camera stores to check out while I am there, so I might find a used treasure or two during my travels.