Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

PP Challenge #347

Here's a shot from last year with the K1+A20/2.8. There should be enough imperfections in there to pose a proper challenge

Link to DNG and full size JPEG.

Multiple entries welcome.

I will close this challenge on Sunday evening Oct 25th Europe time.

For the next host, if you want to share a raw image:
Go to: mediafire.com
Login - ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
Password - postprocessing

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by savoche; 10-19-2020 at 11:05 AM.
10-18-2020, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Password - postprosessing
G'day,

Just wanted to point out that unless the password did change to the spelling quoted above with an 's' instead of a 'c' in postprocessing then you may not be able to access the site. If so try the phrase as spelt in bold here as the host message changed between PP Challenges #344 & #345 though I don't know why.

Tas
10-19-2020, 12:03 AM   #3
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'day,

Just wanted to point out that unless the password did change to the spelling quoted above with an 's' instead of a 'c' in postprocessing then you may not be able to access the site. If so try the phrase as spelt in bold here as the host message changed between PP Challenges #344 & #345 though I don't know why.

Tas
Thanks! That's what you get from blindly doing cut'n'paste Corrected in the OP now.
10-19-2020, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's my first try.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-19-2020, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great photo. Here's my try. Couldn't get everything straight.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-21-2020, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perfect photo for trying out the new PS sky replace tool. Tweaked it around a bit, not sure I'm happy with the tree area up top. new technology? user learning curve? this might take some getting used to. Blasted it with a faux ifra-red -ish bw treatment for giggles.
Attached Images

10-22-2020, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Here's my attempt, I tried to straighten that building up, then realised it may be wonky as some of the lines don't go all the way down!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
10-23-2020, 02:30 AM   #8
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I tried to straighten that building up, then realised it may be wonky as some of the lines don't go all the way down!

The front (to the left) is curved and has a bit of an overhang. It's not the best benchmark to use when trying to straighten the A20/28 distortions

10-24-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

10-24-2020, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

This one was quite a challenge.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-25-2020, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all the participants for joining in! As always, it is great fun to see the different interpretations. There is always something to learn from these challenges.

xs400
Nice sky replacement. It was a dull day. The careful straightening works a treat, well done!

mariwalt
The tighter crop and cleaning up of the skyline helps making the bridge the star of the show. The warmer colours amkes the scene a tad more cozy, too.

astonm
Dramatic treatment! It reminds me of what you will end up with if you add some overlay layers in PS. I guess the replacement algorithm struggles with finer details? I would also think that any flaws have been amplified through the increased contrast.

tuggie76
A darker mood well aided by some desaturation of the colurs. Putting the arch in the centre also pulls us into that darkness. I think you have gotten the maximum out of the existing sky. And your version is actually straighter than reality

noelcmn
I find it surprising that pulling in the white point is this effective in pulling (or pushing!) the eye towards the bridge. I guess it makes sense since the contrast in the sky and building is lowered. I wonder how it would work with a slightly warmer tone.
The b&w edition works well, too. Refreshing with the yellow tint rather than the more common blue or orange (or both - I'm a sucker for blu-orange split toning!)

jmacias
The opening up of the shadows makes for a much more inviting scene - and demostrates how much detail there is to pull out from these modern sensors!

The runner up this time is xs400 with what I would deem the most natural looking edition. I will, however, pick astonm's outrageous infra-red edition as the winner of the challenge.

Congrats to @astonm !

10-26-2020, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh cool ! Thanks for picking me. Yes that photo had all sorts of crazy angles to deal with, and so many options of how to deal with it. and.... that building is gorgeous!
I've got one in mind for the next round. I'll get right to it.
Thanks again.
~~~Laurie

---------- Post added 10-26-20 at 11:47 AM ----------

Here's #348 for you.

Post Processing Challenge #348 - "Those Two Trees" - PentaxForums.com