Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
18-135 Kit lens
One could easily use this lens for 30 days. It was my only zoom lens when I was travelling for 6 months. It's versatility and quality elevate above the mere appellation of a "Kit Lens" .

Now get to posting, no time to lose.

11-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Not sure if I should use my 18-135 Kit lens or my full frame 50mm1.4 on my K70. I better make up my mind soon so I can get started on this.
Both nice lenses. Do one this month and one next....
11-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey, all - I’m selling some stuff to KEH camera, and I’m thinking about getting a KP with the proceeds. I have thought about a used K-1, but I have a DA* 50-135 and it’s my understanding that lens doesn’t work on full-frame. (My other modern lenses would, I believe.) I also want to keep things as compact as possible, and I like that about the KP. Anyone have any insights that might be helpful?
11-10-2020, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP is a great little camera. You could do a lot with the DA10-17, DA15, DA20-40 and your DA*50-135 (or the DA55-300PLM)
The DA*50-135 does not cover the full frame of the K-1 at any focal length, but if you want to get the most out of your legacy lenses, a K-1 will continue to tempt you....

11-10-2020, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Hey, all - I’m selling some stuff to KEH camera, and I’m thinking about getting a KP with the proceeds. I have thought about a used K-1, but I have a DA* 50-135 and it’s my understanding that lens doesn’t work on full-frame. (My other modern lenses would, I believe.) I also want to keep things as compact as possible, and I like that about the KP. Anyone have any insights that might be helpful?
A PF member recently posted about the experience with a KP, along with many great photos. The content certainly made me want a KP, it seems to produce fantastic images in the right hands.

Last edited by robgski; 11-10-2020 at 04:02 AM.
11-10-2020, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #81
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
A PF member recently posted about the experience with a KP, along with many great photos. The content certainly made me want a KP, it seems to produce fantastic images in the right hands.
Recently? That was over two years ago Rob
I took my KP to Antarctica three months after that post, and I can only agree with his rapturous appraisal.
11-10-2020, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP is a great camera - I sold mine after a year because I just could not get on with any of the grips. If you've not held one yet I would definitely recommend doing so but there are obviously lots of users who do find it comfortable to hold. Another option is to get the K-1 and use the 50-135 in APSC mode.

11-10-2020, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Recently? That was over two years ago Rob
I suppose I missed it the first time around, I only came across it this week from some other thread.
11-11-2020, 01:00 PM - 3 Likes   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone have any insights that might be helpful?
I took this this morning, hand held, at ISO 3200 1/30 at 300mm. The DA 55-300 plm is nice but the KP definitely did most of the work. ISO performance is great and the stabilisation is superb. Cropped a bit.

11-11-2020, 07:10 PM - 3 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

I’m behind in posting - soz

Kind of derailed a bit further by shooting a cockatoo - white, in the light - and wanting to edit it on the Mac rather than the iPad. That’s not happened due to spending time preparing for my first big D&D game (been playing with just my son, but suddenly three more players have appeared - and another to join next week), and been flat-tack at work.

Speaking of ... I. AM. EMPLOYED.

I’be been on a succession of temporary contracts since leaving private practice in April, and FINALLY I have the offer for a substantive position.

So, yes ... we bought a car and remortgaged and are renovating the house inside and out, while only on temporary contracts .. don’t tell the bank...

I’m relieved anyway.

And I shall do my best to get back on track before the end of the month.

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2020 at 01:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Minimonster Quote
I took this this morning, hand held, at ISO 3200 1/30 at 300mm. The DA 55-300 plm is nice but the KP definitely did most of the work. ISO performance is great and the stabilisation is superb. Cropped a bit.

Farrrrrrr out you’re braver than me with shutter speed. I don’t like getting slower than 1/60” even with my 35mm xP Let alone a 300 mm.

Maybe I should get braver.
11-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #86
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote

Speaking of ... I. AM. EMPLOYED..
congratulations - sounds like that's tremendous relief for you...
11-11-2020, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
congratulations - sounds like that's tremendous relief for you...

Cheers - it is, really. Being assured it was probably fine is not the same as the actual letter of offer in black and white.
11-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Congratulations!

---------- Post added 11-11-20 at 09:01 PM ----------

Thanks, all, for your feedback on the KP - and also on the K-1. I'd forgotten it had a crop mode.

I expect it will be a couple of weeks before the money arrives, and so I still have some time to consider my options. I'm also hoping for a Black Friday deal to make the money stretch even further. Looking forward to getting an up-to-date Pentax in my hands.
11-12-2020, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

Congratulations!

---------- Post added 11-11-20 at 09:01 PM ----------

Thanks, all, for your feedback on the KP - and also on the K-1. I'd forgotten it had a crop mode.

I expect it will be a couple of weeks before the money arrives, and so I still have some time to consider my options. I'm also hoping for a Black Friday deal to make the money stretch even further. Looking forward to getting an up-to-date Pentax in my hands.

Thanks 8)

And for what it’s worth, I’ll add my voice to the KP comments: I think it is utterly fantabulous. Ive encountered very few negatives - and those are really just down to some idiosyncratic option I’d like to have in terms of customising controls - nothing really substantive.
11-12-2020, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m behind in posting - soz

Kind of derailed a bit further by shooting a cockatoo - white, in the light - and wanting to edit it on the Mac rather than the iPad. That’s not happened due to spending time preparing for my first big D&D game (been playing with just my son, but suddenly three more players have appeared - and another to join next week), and been flat-tack at work.

I’be been on a succession of temporary contracts since leaving private practice in April, and FINALLY I have the offer for a substantive position.

So, yes ... we bought a car and remortgaged and are renovating the house inside and out, while only on temporary contracts .. don’t tell the bank...

I’m relieved anyway.

And I shall do my best to get back on track before the end of the month.

---------- Post added 12th Nov 2020 at 01:13 PM ----------

Farrrrrrr out you’re braver than me with shutter speed. I don’t like getting slower than 1/60” even with my 35mm xP Let alone a 300 mm.

Maybe I should get braver.
Congratulations with the permanent position, but no way I'm not telling the bank