Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 197 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Farrrrrrr out you’re braver than me with shutter speed. I don’t like getting slower than 1/60” even with my 35mm xP Let alone a 300 mm.

Maybe I should get braver.
Brave? Nobody's going to die from a blurry photo; it doesn't even waste money like it did in the film days.

It's quite fun hand holding for a second or two and seeing how well the SR really works. And like most skills, the more you practice, the better you get at it

11-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Brave? Nobody's going to die from a blurry photo; it doesn't even waste money like it did in the film days.

It's quite fun hand holding for a second or two and seeing how well the SR really works. And like most skills, the more you practice, the better you get at it

True, true.
11-12-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #93
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

even more interesting is the sheer lack of SR - shooting this month with a Fuji body that doesn't have any form of SR - we are spoiled over here in Pentax-Land....

(:
11-14-2020, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Speaking of ... I. AM. EMPLOYED.
Congratulations, the "gig economy" offers flexibility, but it often feels too tenuous when one considers family responsibilities!
IIRC, I was laid off just before PF. Since I had recently purchased the K-5, being unemployed did allow me a lot of time to take pictures and I could stay up to watch the entirety of that year's World Series, which was won by my favorite baseball team. Other than that, I was not enjoying the experience, fortunately it did not last long, and led to many far better opportunities. I hope you will have the same happy turn of events.

I often find myself using low shutter speeds, and I depending on the focal length of the lens, the K-1's SR seldom lets me down. Kudos to Sandy for also demonstrating the high ISO performance of the K-1, it made me willing to try out some similar images, without a safety net.

The last two days found me swamped with work, it will be a combination of safeties and late posted images, as well as catching up on comments, and not till Sunday if I catch up on work. I'll be taking advantage of today's great weather to go hiking and taking more pictures.

11-16-2020, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Hi guys,
Work has been crazy-busy here so I need to catch up with commenting. But I wanted to share some other thoughts with you.
I've been thinking of getting the KP for a few months now and the upcoming Black Friday deals might be a good moment for that. It's still a lot of money for me but let's say that I can afford it. However, I started thinking of pros and cons (yes - there are cons! )
Pros are quite obvious, but there are two features I'd mainly benefit from: high iso performance and articulated screen (I like low-level shots). When it comes to the cons: getting the KP would put my K-50 permanently on the shelf, as I don't shoot that much to use two DSLRs at the same time. As a result, K-50 would probably develop the aperture issue, which presumably can be avoided (or postponed) by using the camera frequently. I reached 40k clicks over 4 years and the camera is still fine; there have been very few situations when the IQ ruined the shot, while there are numerous situations when I do Plus, occasionally I can lie down on the ground without getting hurt - I'm not that old yet So maybe the KP can wait another year (and will get cheaper after releasing K-3 III?) and I could buy.... GR III?
I had the opportunity to use it for a few hours some time ago and I fell in love with it. The price scared me off but now, as I almost decided on spending the money, I've been thinking of it a lot. Many times did I miss having a small camera with me when the K-50 was too bulky to be taken out. I don't know... tell me that I'm crazy and should buy the KP, or whatever
11-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Hi guys,
Work has been crazy-busy here so I need to catch up with commenting. But I wanted to share some other thoughts with you.
I've been thinking of getting the KP for a few months now and the upcoming Black Friday deals might be a good moment for that. It's still a lot of money for me but let's say that I can afford it. However, I started thinking of pros and cons (yes - there are cons! )
Pros are quite obvious, but there are two features I'd mainly benefit from: high iso performance and articulated screen (I like low-level shots). When it comes to the cons: getting the KP would put my K-50 permanently on the shelf, as I don't shoot that much to use two DSLRs at the same time. As a result, K-50 would probably develop the aperture issue, which presumably can be avoided (or postponed) by using the camera frequently. I reached 40k clicks over 4 years and the camera is still fine; there have been very few situations when the IQ ruined the shot, while there are numerous situations when I do Plus, occasionally I can lie down on the ground without getting hurt - I'm not that old yet So maybe the KP can wait another year (and will get cheaper after releasing K-3 III?) and I could buy.... GR III?
I had the opportunity to use it for a few hours some time ago and I fell in love with it. The price scared me off but now, as I almost decided on spending the money, I've been thinking of it a lot. Many times did I miss having a small camera with me when the K-50 was too bulky to be taken out. I don't know... tell me that I'm crazy and should buy the KP, or whatever
The number one feature of the GR III is its size. That alone can transform the way you shoot, what you shoot, how often you shoot, and when you shoot. Having a camera that can go anywhere is a major advantage if you're the kind of shooter who likes to photograph life in all its facets, with an emphasis on snapshooting (the GR cameras are marketed as snapshooting cameras, above and beyond street cameras, when you pay more attention to Ricoh's language than to the sometimes sycophantic reviewer crowd) and spontaneity.

On the other hand, if you're someone who's super purposeful about getting a certain kind of shot, the GR might not do it for you as well as a large, robust DSLR. For myself, it's not easy to pick up a bigger camera anymore after getting sucked into the GR world, except when I have a purpose in mind, and need a kit camera to match the lens to the job.
11-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having owned a K-5, and currently enjoying a K-1, as much as I am attracted to the KP, I'd buy a GRIII.
Why? Because the best camera is the one you have with you, and the GRIII offers a large sensor and many other settings and features in a convenient to carry and use form. I almost always have a pocket available, and I do miss having a convenient to carry camera with high quality results.

11-16-2020, 11:29 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
The number one feature of the GR III is its size.
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Because the best camera is the one you have with you, and the GRIII offers a large sensor and many other settings and features in a convenient to carry and use form.
Thank you for these opinions!
11-17-2020, 02:57 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi guys,
Hmmm left field thought, how about a second hand Q series with the 01 lens, super small , amazing quality and it is possible to pick one up quite cheaply compared to the GR
11-17-2020, 04:05 AM   #100
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for these opinions!

or - just as a thought - a small, used MILC camera with a handful of adapters?
11-17-2020, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Hmmm left field thought, how about a second hand Q series with the 01 lens, super small , amazing quality and it is possible to pick one up quite cheaply compared to the GR

I need to look closer at it; it's a totally unknown field to me and might be worth checking.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or - just as a thought - a small, used MILC camera with a handful of adapters?
Well, what I like about the idea of the GR is the "imposed" simplicity. I'd even prefer a prime lens over a zoom: less technical thinking, more shooting. With the adapters, I end up thinking of the lenses to take and I think I've been thinking of it a bit too much recently.
11-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I have an original Q and the 01 lens. Great combination for outdoor shooting. I put it in a small carry pack when my wife and I are cycling, and it works great for that. The quality degrades noticeably as the ISO gets above 800, though. Maybe I need a Q-S1....
11-17-2020, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #103
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I suspect most of you may have noticed, I have bailed for the month. The DFA*85 is awesome though

In other news, after several months with no local transmission of COVID-19, we now have a nice little cluster bubbling away in Adelaide's northern suburbs. Nothing like what's going down in Europe or the Americas, but we'd rather not end up like that either....

....so as of midnight tonight, South Australia will be going into a hard lockdown for the next six days at least: short-term pain for long-term gain.
11-17-2020, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, what I like about the idea of the GR is the "imposed" simplicity.
If you like the 28mm (full frame equivalent) field of view you'll absolutely love it. Despite my affection for the Q system, the APS-C sensor of the GR III puts it miles ahead.

The menu system is deep, but quite intuitive. It's quite a different user experience from a Pentax though, so there is a definite learning curve.

I follow Sean Tuck on Instagram. He's a London-based street photographer, who uses the GR III a lot. Worth a look if you have the inclination.
11-18-2020, 12:53 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Thanks, guys, for your input. I'm getting more convinced with the GR, I guess. I'll give myself another week and, if nothing changes, I'll check for some special offers. Here in Poland, they are not that spectacular as in the US but I should be able to get some better-than-regular price.