Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post Processing Challenge #348 - "Those Two Trees"

Thanks to @savoche for picking me in the last round. Got something here that will hopefully spark the artist in you....

Taken a couple of weeks ago between the rain-breaks here in the Pacific Northwest. I spend a lot of time out at the R/C flying field getting "action shots" for the guys. This particular day I decided enough with the usual zoom and panning routine and brought out a toy that I've had for a couple of years but really haven't had the chance to play with much.

This particular photo captures the afternoon sun streaming in between some dark clouds over a lovely tree & field-filled basin. (of course, because it's me, yeah, there happens to be another airplane in it. LOL)

The dreamy look comes from a Leica Summilux-R 80mm Leitax-mounted to the K3. Still working on getting used to that darned thing! The photo might look a little flat as-is, maybe consider it an excercise in some creative dodging & burning and color enhancement - lots of visual layers here to work with.

Let's give this one a full week and close it down sometime on Tues, Nov 3rd.
Good luck, and have fun! (Oh, yeah... bonus points if anyone can ID that little red blur )

~~Laurie
Link to the DNG: Post Processing Challenge #348 "Those Two Trees"

Small preview for you:

Next winner:
Go to: mediafire.com
Login - ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
Password - postprosessing

10-27-2020, 12:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I spent time on the weekend cussing my computer when for some reason exporting a jpeg to upload for PP Challenge wasn't giving me a final version so I had to pass on that challenge. The same thing has happened for PP Challenge 348 so I need to work out why this is happening again with On1. Hasn't been a problem until just recently so I find a fix or give up on them after 8 years.

Anyhoo, I created a version of this image and really wanted to share so went with a snip it version which is low res but so be it. I wanted to work with contrasting light and colour and created this with a 4:5 framing.

Tas
10-27-2020, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going to have a great deal of different interpretations on this one. Here's mine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-28-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

An unfair fight, but there you go...

And no, can't compete for those bonus points, I'm afraid

10-28-2020, 12:59 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's mine.

Last edited by xs400; 12-28-2020 at 12:50 PM.
10-29-2020, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I thought they put on a great airshow, rivaled the Red Arrows! As far as identifying them I could only think of Beechcraft Bonanza.

Last edited by tuggie76; 02-05-2021 at 11:10 AM.
11-03-2020, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Hope I'm not too late.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-03-2020, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not a lot of entries this time, but they are all really very nice. Thanks to everyone for participating, and giving me something enjoyable to do today (instead of all the news frenzy!)

No one got the ID on the airplane, but two of you were certainly on the right track! The little red beast is a scale version of the SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 Seen here in aerobatic team "RedHawks" livery. It's a one-of-a-kind hand-built fiberglass model that's been flying for the last 30 years ago. Quite the little Italian hod rods. (Go find some youtube videos of them flying)

Tas: Sorry to hear about computer problems. I know I cringed a bit too with all the updates that have been hitting. <cross fingers> they have settled in. Your version is quite beautiful, and very different from all the rest. I really said "wow" when it first popped up. Not a direction I had considered. Nice.

mariwalt: you zoomed right in to all the action - both those trees, and the airplane. I wouldn't have been so easily convinced that this photo could have been cropped down to this level, but you did a fine job.

savoche: hee hee... love it. Actually the real version of that airplane did see a bit of military use too - your "dogfight" idea isn't that far off! Fun

xs400: nice. you went with the whole scene. swapping out the sky brought a nice extra dimension to the already "layered" scene. I'm really digging the nice glow you got from the trees in the back. Good job. Really what I was envisioning on this.

tuggie76: another fun airplane job... you were actually on the right track and got another use of that particular airplane correct. Good job of filling up the sky with that formation. Looks great!

jmacias: good thing I hit the F5 button - your entry wasn't there when I started typing this out. Hooray for distractions! Nice to see another entry. The square crop works to keep some of the landscape layers in the frame.

All of you did a great job. I have to admit, I'm really leaning more towards the "lanscape-y" takes this time.. It's a tough choice between Tas, and xs400 for me. One is so much different - whittling it down to the just the core elements - and the other really made the most of the entire scene. Nice effects of the trees on both.

winner is... Tas. Beautiful job

Runner up to xs400.

Thanks again! Can't wait for the next one.
~~Laurie
11-04-2020, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for being a good host, Laurie! And congrats to Tas on a well deserved win!
11-04-2020, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, thank you very much Laurie, I'm glad you liked my version.

There were some really cool interpretations created here for #348, well done to everyone who had a go at creating a unique version of a really challenging image.

Hopefully I will get to meet you all again for PP Challenge #349, it's up and ready for you here: PP Challenge #349 - PentaxForums.com

#349 is a telephoto landscape that is ripe for a variety of versions. See you on the flip side of #349 if you come and have a go.

Tas
11-04-2020, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Here's mine.
Beautiful... balanced.
11-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks Laurie, and well done Tas!