Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #349

Hello again everyone,

I hope you all enjoyed the last challenge, thank you to Laurie for hosting the challenge.

Welcome to PP Challenge #349, I hope the image selected for this challenge inspires a variety of interpretations.

This image was captured using the K-1 and Zeiss Makro Planar 2/100. I like telephoto landscapes and this is one of my favourite lenses for that role.

A DNG & full size JPG can be downloaded here: My Files

I will close this challenge in about a week on Thursday 12th in Oz.

Next winner:
Go to: mediafire.com
Login - ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
Password - postprocessing

11-04-2020, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get things started.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-04-2020, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here it is...for better or worse. Really nice image, BTW.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-05-2020, 09:37 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's mine

Last edited by xs400; 01-08-2021 at 10:54 AM.
11-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
G'day,

A few challengers have kicked off #349, hopefully we'll see some more jump in with a version that means they host the big #350 PP Challenge.

So far we've had three colour versions with similar framing so there's plenty of scope to look at this image in different and unique styles other than the versions created already.

One of the influences for PP that I take some cues from are these guys: Photomorphis. Photography Evolved. The more artistic style used by Doug is not favoured by everyone and fair enough, however looking at images through different styles can help see an image in a different way. I've used the end vision to help me focus when out and about capturing images. This works nicely when you know a location and are looking for some inspiration to do something different. Maybe that's a bit weird but then I guess I am a bit weird anyway.

Anyhoo, We're coming up to half way in this challenge so it's not too late to jump in. You might also share some PP influences if you have them.

Tas
11-09-2020, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Full of messes... but I had fun
Attached Images

11-10-2020, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Her's my take, a bit of a toughy!

Last edited by tuggie76; 02-05-2021 at 11:10 AM.
11-10-2020, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Ok Tas - here's one sans color! Not so sure about my own PP influences... I have always liked high contrast images whether they be monochrome or color.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photocles Quote
Ok Tas - here's one sans color! Not so sure about my own PP influences... I have always liked high contrast images whether they be monochrome or color.
Awesome! It wouldn't be a PP Challenge without some mono or altered tones, and we've got both just recently. Cool that is too.

I don't know if you're on Flickr, but if you are and you like monos I recommend you follow this bloke: Billy Currie | Flickr

His B&W images are brilliant. I like the neutral tone and the use of light to take a typically well captured scene to another level.

Of course maybe it's not to your liking, but as you were the first to go mono I had to pass along these artistic B&W's.

Tas
11-10-2020, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #10

Photos: Albums
Definitely tricky, It came out more muddy than misty!

11-11-2020, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I like how the colors came out of this one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Last chance to get your version uploaded everyone. I plan to close this evening which as of now should be in about 6-8 hours. Unless I drink too much wine then it will be tomorrow morning, but I'll try not to do that.

Tas
11-12-2020, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #13
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
PP Challenge #349 is now closed - some feedback and nomination for #350

G’day everyone,

Time to wrap this one up and nominate a host for the big#350!

Thank you to each of you who took on PP Challenge #349.

Some feedback on your images.:

mariwalt First cab off the rank created a warm version that brought out some nice golden highlights in the water reflections.I’m not sure if you’re PP is global or you’ve chosen to go with the warmer sky by choice but it creates a Dante’s inferno look.

photocles Another warm version but retains blue in the sky and foliage for a more natural look. This is a really good version that has a sense of summer.

xs400 A cooler look to the tones that keeps some heavier shadows working with a frame for the water. The sun and crepuscular rays adds a unique look to the sky.

astonm The warm tones and the faded looked in this version have worked a treat on the foliage in the foreground and behind the lake. The dark trees in the water really stand out more with the lighter background and really catch the eye.

tuggie76 A high contrast look creates some heavy shadows which is emphasising the bold colouring in the sky and water like the last hurrah from a hot day.

photocles A second version that emphasises the contrasting cloud over an almost painterly landscape. The detail in the wooded hills of the range cape up really well here and reminds me of 19th century paintings/drawings from early settlers in Australia. I like this crop of the foreground too, it makes sense now that I see it like this.

zubzubadoodle A different and unique take on this scene with some really great colour in the water with the reflected light and cooler rippled water. I don’t know if you happened to be at this place the same time as me however you have actually created a close rendition of the conditions at the time. The high cloud was being blown across the sky rapidly so as I went with a wide angle and a longer shutter speed the motion of the cloud looked more like this. Here’s a link to three images captured approx. 50minsafter the challenge image at various shutter speeds: Went out to shoot the Milky Way... | ...I missed. : \ | noompty | Flickr (the first image is what the clouds looked like, the following two images show the pace they were traveling at with stacked exposures)

jmacias Lucky last for this challenge also created a warmer version those with more magenta. A very pleasant tone. This has allowed plenty of detail to come to the fore on the hills in the middle of the frame aided by a subtle crop.

Okay, not really critiques but some of the things I saw in each version that contributed to deciding who to select for PP Challenge #350.

For the next challenge I am choosing photocles for the creation of two unique versions. I liked to tones in the colour version and the framing and details in the B&W version.

Thanks again to you the challengers, hope to see you again in another challenge.

Tas
11-13-2020, 03:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Hello Tas and All,

Thanks for nominating me to be the next PP Challenge host and for all of the great entries this round! Lots of great variations here, each contributing something just a little different.

I'm going to aim to launch PPC #350 tomorrow (Nov 14th). See you all (and hopefully others) over there.

Best,

Jared
11-14-2020, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #15
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
#350 is go!

Hey everyone, PP Challenge #350 is up!

Good luck.

PP Challenge #350 - PentaxForums.com