Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've wanted to shoot a Tanfoglio, especially in a .45 caliber. Why'd you get rid of it?

As promised, I took this a couple hours ago with the K-1 ii and Tamron 90:

11-27-2020, 06:23 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

And just for fun, in my quest to find the best .22 rifle out there (I've tried about 10 different offerings) here's my old trusty squirrel stock and JM long barrel Marlin from 1979.

Marlin Model 60

The product shots of the current Model 60 on retailers' websites make the walnut stock look so ugly I didn't buy one for years, but the stock is beautiful in real life.

Marlin Model 60 SS

I tested two Savage rifles, but they didn't feel quite right in my hands (I absolutely love their action though).

Here's the one I settled on, another Marlin:

Marlin XT-22 Heavy Barrel

The two Ruger 10/22s were my least-favorite. I didn't even take photos of those.
11-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I started carrying the Witness Match 45 as a every day carry gun after I stopped shooting competition with it. But it was just too heavy, so I sold it and bought the standard Witness 45, but since have sold it also and moved on to Smith and Wesson M&P's for EDC. The Witness Match was a great competition gun, it was accurate and recoil was not bad. The slide rails ride on the inside of the frame making it very quick to get back on target. I have a Ruger 10/22 and like it a lot. I had a Remington 581 bolt action back in the day that I shot rimfire silhouette matches with. It was a great 22, very accurate. Great photos BTW.
11-28-2020, 07:23 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are my two most often carried.
Top: CZ 75 P-01
Bottom: S&WPerformance center M&P9 Shield. I have a Shield .45 also, but it's not a Performance Center.

I work part time at a gun shop so I normally carry the CZ at work.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by Parallax; 11-28-2020 at 07:46 AM.
11-28-2020, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
And just for fun, in my quest to find the best .22 rifle out there (I've tried about 10 different offerings) here's my old trusty squirrel stock and JM long barrel Marlin from 1979.
Get your hands on one of the lever action Henry rifles. They are an absolute blast. Total quality and so much fun. I got my wife a Mares Leg .38/.357 and the accuracy right out of the box even on a short stock "pistol" is amazing. Seriously. Fun, fun, fun. I want to get a full length stock in .22. But then I'm gonna want the .45/70! Beautiful wood and brass on these. If you haven't the pleasure of holding one, do it.

---------- Post added 11-28-20 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Bottom: S&WPerformance center M&P9 Shield. I have a Shield .45 also, but it's not a Performance Center.

CZ -75 is on my short list. has been for a few years. One day.
11-28-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
CZ -75 is on my short list. has been for a few years. One day.
We couldn't hardly get CZs even before the current gun shortage.
Now we can't get much of anything. We take almost every gun our distributors offer us.
11-28-2020, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #37
Banned

We couldn't hardly get CZs even before the current gun shortage.
Now we can't get much of anything. We take almost every gun our distributors offer us.
Every response I want to give will end up in a direction that I know wont be "acceptable" to many. Not on this thread, but on this site in general. So that's all I have to say. To paraphrase Sgt. Schultz....I'll say nothing...nothing. I already got grief yesterday from a Mod. Why, I don't know. It's an "artistic" site. Nice stuff there Parallax.

11-28-2020, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Marlin XT-22 Heavy Barrel
Builttospoil, you may want to give the Savage MkIII a look. Here is a stock image, in stainless and with a thumb hole stock. The barrel is pre-floated and it is a pleasure to shoot. Accurate too!

11-28-2020, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Great photos BTW.
Thank you.
CZ 75 P-01
That's a great-looking CZ. My country EDC (without the laser/light) is pictured below, and it's a good blend of the CZ 75, SIG P220, and a 1911 (except mine is 14+1). I have two city EDCs which are much smaller than my country carry.
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Get your hands on one of the lever action Henry rifles. They are an absolute blast. Total quality and so much fun. I got my wife a Mares Leg .38/.357 and the accuracy right out of the box even on a short stock "pistol" is amazing. Seriously. Fun, fun, fun. I want to get a full length stock in .22. But then I'm gonna want the .45/70! Beautiful wood and brass on these. If you haven't the pleasure of holding one, do it.
I love my Henry 45 LC!
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Builttospoil, you may want to give the Savage MkIII a look. Here is a stock image, in stainless and with a thumb hole stock. The barrel is pre-floated and it is a pleasure to shoot. Accurate too!
Actually, the Savage I posted above is the MK II FV-SR. I sure love the look of that MK II BTVS you posted. Yes, the nicer Mark IIs are very accurate. I was impressed when shooting them. The Marlin XT-22VR gave me tighter groupings, but the bolt was not nearly as smooth as the Savage.

SAR K2 (now called the K2-45) with custom Turkish walnut grips (the gun is the Turkish military sidearm)
11-28-2020, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IPSC action shot's fit this thread? Got a few slide scans from around 40 years ago. Unidentified firearm.
Attached Images

11-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
IPSC action shot's fit this thread? Got a few slide scans from around 40 years ago. Unidentified firearm.
IPSC used to be a lot different than what it's turned into. I would love to see more action shots from back then.
Kristian
11-29-2020, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Nice photos. I carry the Shield 45 90% of the time. Sometimes rotate with a M&P compact 45 with a RDS mounted on it. Rare occasions I will carry a RIA 1911 midsize in 45acp.

---------- Post added 11-29-20 at 07:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by turbo_bird Quote
IPSC used to be a lot different than what it's turned into. I would love to see more action shots from back then.
Kristian

Our club moved on from IPSIC after in got impractical to IDPA, then that went off the rails. We now have our own type of scenario based practical matches. I don't compete much anymore though, old eyes and old joints.
11-29-2020, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I carry the Shield 45 90% of the time.
I don't carry the .45 simply because I had the 9 first and I really like the holster I have for it. I have a few other autos but I'm a wheelie at heart.
Here are the J frames (with a Colt Cobra that sneaked in). Top to bottom: Model 360, 642, 63 2", 63 4" with Tyler T Grip.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-29-2020, 07:43 AM   #44
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't compete much anymore though, old eyes and old joints.
I know the feeling.
I shoot bowling pin matches occasionally and long, long ago; in a galaxy far, far away I used to shoot IHMSA silhouette. I still would if I could find a match within a reasonable distance. It would give me an excuse to buy another gun.
11-29-2020, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Getting ready for zombies...