Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2020, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The poor guy is staring down the shark who has found lunch!

Last edited by tuggie76; 02-05-2021 at 11:10 AM.
12-16-2020, 10:47 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's mine

Last edited by xs400; 04-09-2021 at 03:56 PM.
12-16-2020, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Here's my quick edit... with more wave to surf.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-17-2020 at 02:36 PM.
12-18-2020, 01:27 AM   #19
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Great to see all these versions

G'day everyone,

Wow, It's been a while since I had so many choose to take a challenge I'm hosting and whilst it's daunting to think about sorting through all these versions, it's great too see too.

I'll run the challenge for a couple of more days to give it a week but will close quickly to hopefully avoid any clashes for the next host and Christmas.

If any challengers think hosting the challenge may be difficult because of other commitments just drop a line in your post as an edit so I know to not try and pass the baton to you if you can't commit to the time needed to host the challenge. Family should come first.

Tas

12-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Here's mine
Great piece of editing, man.

---------- Post added 12-18-20 at 09:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Great editing. Love it. But how did you enlong the wave? I can't think of an possibility...

---------- Post added 12-18-20 at 09:34 AM ----------

Great editing. Love it. But how did you enlong the wave? I can't think of an possibility...
12-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
Great editing. Love it.
Thank you very much.

But how did you elongate the wave? I can't think of an possibility...
You do understand that this is all top secret, very hush, hush and to reveal all, I'd be forced to kill you... as they say certain circles.

But I am at liberty to partially reveal... that Photoshop "may" have been used in the making of this image.
12-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Great choice of photo for the challenge! Here's mine.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-20-2020, 12:10 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
PP Challenge #353 is now closed

And so we’ve come to an end of yet another Post Processing Challenge,with the closure of #353.

Thanks to everyone who’s joined us in the last week to have a go at this challenge it seems something a bit different was quite popular in this case which is great to see.

The image from a K-1 and HD D-FA 150-450 was ripe for a bit of shaving here and there to get a more logical composition. The choices made in this challenge really varied as did the other options exercised to create unique versions across the board.

So lets have a look at each in turn for who I think should be the host for PP Challenge #354.

Vadik Toronto. First cab off the rank rendered a more contrasty image but retained the central framing of our subject surfer. The central framing was to get the best out of the K-1 and the lens but not the best option for framing. I’m not sure if you have considered calibrating your screen but there’s a very strong green colour cast to this version.

ffking. Glad to see you’ve come back to take on a challenge. The composition draws the eye naturally to our surfer with an almost3D look to the front of the board. The strong contrast has created some bold colouring in the wave that I like but keep looking at the bright white wash in the bottom right corner. Do you find that as well?

mariwalt. This looks almost like a 4:5 ratio, is that correct? The brightest part of the wave is omitted and this opens up the left fora surfer to be heading into with his positioning on the third. I really like the green in the wave and the natural skin tone of our surfer. The separation of the wave and the sea in the background is really noticeable and the sky is way more interesting than what was present on the day.

tmlawes. This version looks to have kept the original aspect ration but zooming in more like the camera was APSC not FF. Trimming off the right of frame workers well resulting in a very natural look to the scene.

stevejo. This is a bit deceptive to start with as the wave looks to be natural but is higher than what was there on the day, though there were larger waves than this I did capture on the day as it was a decent swell indeed. Anyhoo, I think the blue’s a bit vivid in the sky and a bit bright compared to the green wave so I find my eye drawn away from our surfer a bit. I like the extra-long wave though; it looks like he’s going to be on this one for quite a while.

MortenV-1. A very subdued appearance here and looks like an Adobe RGB rendition as opposed to SRGB. Is that right or you’ve just gone for a muted rendition of the scene? The framing is good with some off the front and right to draw us closer to our subject.
Morten V-2. The colours look more natural here though subdued which isn’t a bad thing. I like the colours of this version more than the first one for our surfer as they are more natural but I think the more transparent shades of the first image allow some of the white-water detail to be drawn out.

todd. A crop that really works and is an example of why I lament us not having a good 600/4 option these days. But the fact that the 150-450 and the 36 megapickles allows this sort of crop and there’s plenty of detail still permits this sort of approach where the water off the board can catch the eye. I like the framing of our subject and natural colours here; the turquoise water looks so inviting.

Michail_P-1. A balanced crop and good placement of our subject in the frame on this mono version. A silver surfer is what I see in this creation A really good decision with the cyan but constrained too and it works well here.
Michail_P-2. A different framing keeping more on the left which centralises our surfer more and I think the composition on the first version is therefore stronger. The green in the wave does show the more transparent aspect of the wave if a bit bright but this also locks us onto the wave and action occurring there.

noelcmn-1. Another big crop to isolate into our subject the light appears about right for the time of day here with a very natural skin tone on our surfer. The wave is looking a bit radioactive so we better count his fingers and toes when he gets back to shore.
noelcmn-2. Judging by this it’s going to take him some time to get back to Oz for us to check those digits. Hope you remember to wave as he comes past SA.
noelcmn-3. The second mono version though this one has a twist leaving our surfer in colour which certainly draws him out of the background. I actually like the light tones in the waves here and think a complete mono version would have worked well too.

astonm. Scarily this does happen all too often,including a couple of attacks this summer already. Great Whites travel between South Africa and Australia every year or so and they are big beasties. And after Mick Fanning’s near miss on a wave I’d imagine this would give him nightmares. Really like the green tones in the wave to go with your surfing shark.

graeme83. No messing around here with natural look etc and I really like the hints of green in the waves. This is a very menacing version with our surfer in what could be a movie dream sequence as he travels into the unknown.

ShutterPro. I like the natural skin tones and again that feeling of the board coming out of the wave gives a 3D feel to our subject.The colours are natural with the exposure raised nicely. The loss of the left of the wave does have our surfer leaving frame I’m guess because he saw Laurie’s shark.

tuggie76. Our bloke can’t take a trick in this round,sharks everywhere. Glad you kept the left of the wave for our guy to surf into hope he sees he’s got company. The contrasting light on our subject and the white-water of the waves looks really good as it’s emphasised nicely here.

xs400. Wow, now that’s a sky. I don’t think the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn will be this bright but apparently, it’s the last time like it until 2080 so hopefully some get out to capture it. I mention that the conjunction has been referred to as the star in the story of the 3Wise men following the star and this has a similar feel to it. The blending of the light works really well in how you’ve added it here I could almost believe this is what happened on the day of capture. The wave in the foreground adds some depth with this version too.

Kerrowdown. I’ve enjoyed all the changes to the skies so far and I’d have to say I really like this sky. It’s moody with some contrasting light which has been blended nicely around our subject. The wave is going to take him forever and I bet he wouldn’t mind a bit. There’s almost a video game look to this one.

jmacias. And finally we’ve returned to a more natural look with our last version and a crop into our surfer and the wave he’s on.Lots of people have chosen to leave the white water in on the right and I can understand why, there’s so much detail and action in there but does create a central framing of our surfer which is something I fought with processing the other images at the time as the wave is the other key subject here.

Okay, well I hope these observations provide some useful feedback or some mildly amusing commentary.

I like the natural versions created here by tmlawes &todd, Michail_P’s mono version, and who can look past a surfing shark?

But this challenge I was intrigued by the more abstract and daring choices made by graeme83, xs400 and Kerrowdown. And for the last five minutes I’ve been staring at these last two versions side by side on my screen and they both appeal enough for me to want to nominate them both for this round.

However that would be lame so as I like the Scottish low cloud over the Gold Coast from Kerrowdown I’m going with his lengthy version for this one, and if we need a back up, Frank, I’ll drop you a line.

Tas
12-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thank you very much.

You do understand that this is all top secret, very hush, hush and to reveal all, I'd be forced to kill you... as they say certain circles.

But I am at liberty to partially reveal... that Photoshop "may" have been used in the making of this image.
I do understand that. I myself don't like to give away photography info. But I tried. 🙂
Thanks for replying.

---------- Post added 12-20-20 at 12:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
ShutterPro. I like the natural skin tones and again that feeling of the board coming out of the wave gives a 3D feel to our subject.The colours are natural with the exposure raised nicely. The loss of the left of the wave does have our surfer leaving frame I’m guess because he saw Laurie’s shark.
Tas
Yes. He almost fell of, the shock was too great. 😂

Last edited by ShutterPro; 12-20-2020 at 12:17 AM.
12-20-2020, 01:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks Tas for a great challenge and congrats to Kerrowdown - brilliant interpretation.
12-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Thanks Tas for a great challenge and congrats to Kerrowdown - brilliant interpretation.
Thank you for your kind comment.
12-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I like the Scottish low cloud over the Gold Coast from Kerrowdown, I’m going with his lengthy version for this one
Thank you for your choice of my submission and allowing me to host the next challenge, which I have now posted up and can now be found here...

Post Processing Challenge #354 - PentaxForums.com

I hope you all enjoy this weeks challenge.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-20-2020 at 09:01 AM.
12-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I do understand that. I myself don't like to give away photography info. But I tried. ��
Thanks for replying.
I was only kidding you... I'm more than happy to share.

It was really quick and quite simple to do using Photoshop, using both the content aware and clone tools, with a little colour grading and toning.
12-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Tas thank you for the comments. Any feedback is valuable. A great shot to begin with. Thanks for sharing.
12-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Kerrowdown.