01-02-2021, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Fortunately there is no shortage of things to photograph in Hong Kong
I'll say, wonderful set.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Sharing some from me, most of my pictures are with KP, either on DA300mm or DFA150-450.
Amazing collection of birds.
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
(Buff- or White-)Tailed Bumblebee
What bees see when they dream.
01-02-2021, 10:24 AM - 13 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Here is my first five. All from the back yard or neighborhood.

Assateague Sunset

The Lookout

Getting Tuckered Out

Down the Hatch

Mother's Day Parade

---------- Post added 01-02-21 at 12:29 PM ----------

And the last set:

The one that almost got away

Aerobatic Tern

Afternoon Snack

Bandsawing a Futtock (frame piece) - Chesapeake Bay Maratime Museum Boat Shop

Siesta Key Christmas Tree

I Put a Spell on You
01-02-2021, 11:31 AM - 10 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great thread and shots so far. When the lockdown came we were fortunate to have just got back from a trip to Costa Rica. We did 2-night trips north in summer and fall, staying in carefully managed lodges which worked out OK, but we have cancelled three other trips (including one to the Arctic) and no trip to Florida this winter. We are retired and while vulnerable we are able to stay out of trouble for most of the time. I do like to get out and spend time at one of several parks we have along the Lake Ontario waterfront. COVID has made them busier but it's still manageable.
This year I have still done bird photography but I haven't used other lenses much on my DSLR, partly because of concern about the fragility of the electrical contacts on my DA*300mm lens (2 replacements so far). Instead I carry a Ricoh GRIII for wider and macro shots, and I'm exploring the B&W capabilities of that camera as well.
Hope everyone is able to break free again - or at least make the most of the constraints - in 2021!
These are in chronological order.

01-02-2021, 12:15 PM - 11 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The year 2020 was a rather slow one for travel and shooting, no trips and limited photo opportunities. Well, to be truthful, not much positive energy either. I enjoy shooting wildlife, flower and nature but the local birding areas were closed and the wife was concerned about visiting the parks too often due to the corona19 pandemic. Here are ten of my best, not in any particular order. Hopefully, 2021 will not be a repeat of this past year.

01-02-2021, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jquill Quote
Here is my first five. All from the back yard or neighborhood.
Wonderful wildlife work! That poor frog keeps getting it.. Beautiful scene of the Assateague ponies. Amazing catch of the acrobatic tern, action and light.

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
These are in chronological order.
Nicely varied set. I particularly like the blue urban/industrial tableau, the beetle macro, and the Bank Swallows.

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Hopefully, 2021 will not be a repeat of this past year.
Indeed, a tough year. But it looks as though you found some positive energy in creative flower closeups.
01-02-2021, 05:14 PM - 4 Likes   #37
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Incredible drama, beautifully rendered.
You really convey the watchfulness of the parent; that looks like one well-protected chick.
Thanks very much Jeff. I was very pleased with each of these. There is always something new to be found even in very familiar places.
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Photographically this year brought my M series primes in Single In Challenge project to end. It took me excatly 3 years to shoot 17 M series primes first in APSC and then in FF. It actually went faster than I thought, cause I ended keeping only 2 months off from daily shooting. Without the challenge I probably wouldn't have shot much due to lack of travelling.
Your set of images shows the value of such a high level of discipline and commitment. They are notable for excellent composition. Special mention of the horse jumping - the low angle makes it and well done capturing it with MF.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I have scratched around and come up with these.
I think the second one is my pick of these, Kevin.
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
All taken with KP and DA16-85WR or 55-300PLM
That's a fine set Tim. Great variety - shows what can be done with these two versatile zooms in the right hands. I found the seal pup and the last landscape particularly eye-catching.
It's not exactly the 10 I like best individually, though; I try to select with the final set in mind, and to encompass a wide range of subjects and techniques.
TBH, Jeff, you could pick 10 at random from your photostream and they would make an excellent set. These are all intriguing images. My particular favourites are the two waterfalls (4 and 5). The composition draws the eye into each. I love the dappled light in "Serendipity Cove". In "Descent", it's the dark foreground transition to light background. These images combine calm and solidity with motion and energy - like in meditation when people try to hold two contrasting sensations simultaneously.
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
I stayed close to home all year so no travel photos for me in 2020. Fortunately there is no shortage of things to photograph in Hong Kong
A rich, fascinating and diverse set Tim. Every one of them is full of life. I'm with you - the Red-whiskered Bulbul is the standout for me too. It's not just a sharp image of a striking bird, but the complementary bokeh with the red flowers really makes it. (BTW, your blue-banded bee image isn't showing for me.)
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Sharing some from me, most of my pictures are with KP, either on DA300mm or DFA150-450.
You have been very restrained Luis! Maybe you will share another 5. I've enjoyed all your shots in the 300mm+ and KP threads. These are all excellent - I'm particularly partial to the Barn Owl and the Crested Serpent Eagle.
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
All with K-S2, I hope to be able to include some with the K-1 in next year's edition And I hope to be able to include more landscapes and perhaps some less ordinary wildlife
The "ordinary" wildlife and landscapes are far from ordinary, I think. They are all very good indeed. My particular favourites are the storm rolling by, the squirrel and the lightning bolt - they would be top ten in any year. It must have been very exciting to capture the lightning, even though a 10 second exposure shows you planned for it - plans don't always come off, so it's great when they do.
All from the back yard or neighborhood.
You have quite a backyard and neighbourhood, John. That's a very diverse and interesting set. It's a wonder there are any of the poor frogs left, but these heron images are very arresting.
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
This year I have still done bird photography but I haven't used other lenses much on my DSLR, partly because of concern about the fragility of the electrical contacts on my DA*300mm lens (2 replacements so far). Instead I carry a Ricoh GRIII for wider and macro shots, and I'm exploring the B&W capabilities of that camera as well.
With these constraints (and confining yourself to only one from the Costa Rica trip), you have provided a remarkably varied and interesting set Steven. I am particularly drawn to the toucanet, Bay of Quinte, Longhorn Beetle and Sand Martins - each a compelling subject, beautifully captured. I was surprised to see that the beetle was taken with the GRIII - who knew a fixed lens 18mm camera could prove so versatile?
The year 2020 was a rather slow one for travel and shooting, no trips and limited photo opportunities. Well, to be truthful, not much positive energy either. I enjoy shooting wildlife, flower and nature but the local birding areas were closed and the wife was concerned about visiting the parks too often due to the corona19 pandemic. Here are ten of my best, not in any particular order. Hopefully, 2021 will not be a repeat of this past year.
I feel much the same. You have made a lot from what was available. I think the flower shots are my pick of these.

01-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
You have quite a backyard and neighbourhood, John. That's a very diverse and interesting set. It's a wonder there are any of the poor frogs left, but these heron images are very arresting.
Des, We have an irrigation pond, docks, and tidal marsh behind the house. We are also across from the North end of Assateague Island with their wild ponies (the Mother's Day Parade shot was taken from our jetty). We still have plenty of frogs left as far as I can tell. We have to drain the pond this spring to deepen it; not sure what affect it will have on fish, frogs, eels, and turtles. Hopefully enough will survive to repopulate the pond after deepening is completed.
01-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #39
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Des, We have an irrigation pond, docks, and tidal marsh behind the house. We are also across from the North end of Assateague Island with their wild ponies (the Mother's Day Parade shot was taken from our jetty). We still have plenty of frogs left as far as I can tell. We have to drain the pond this spring to deepen it; not sure what affect it will have on fish, frogs, eels, and turtles. Hopefully enough will survive to repopulate the pond after deepening is completed.
The irrigation pond is clearly a great environmental success, given the wildlife it supports. I hope the works on it go well - would be good if it were possible to do them in stages or something to preserve habitat while they are carried out.
01-02-2021, 10:45 PM - 8 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like most people, I did not get out much this year. However, the Lyon air museum is 15 minutes away. In addition to the airplanes, they have a small collection of military vehicles, and a rotating showing of cars. I go a couple times a year. Big windows, whitish floor, balcony, and low ropes es muy bueno. Exif per request.

Just looking, no touching. Canon 6D, ISO 1600, 1/350, f8, Tamron 150-600 @ 150 on a monopod.

This is on a "tarmac day" where a few planes were rolled outside for viewing. Could also shoot planes coming and going. I pushed the blacks in Elements. Canon 6D, ISO 400, 1/1000, f11, Tamron 150-600 @ 350 likely hand-held with dangling monopod.

Chimping and puddle-jumping. I cropped it from landscape to portrait. Canon 6D, ISO 400, 1/350, f8, Tamron 150-600 @ 600 on a monopod.

I'm guessing old sportscars don't really drive that well, but it may be part of the charm. Canon 6D, ISO 400, 1/90, f2.8, Canon 100 macro.

The Shelby 427 resides near the top of the "classics" heap. Canon 6D, ISO 400, 1/250, f4.5, Canon 100 macro.

March-Porsche 88C. Not really a daily driver. Canon 6D, ISO 100, 1/60, f4, Canon 28 IS.

Gone but not forgotten. I pushed the contrast in Elements. Canon 6D, ISO 100, 1/20, f1.8, Canon 50 1.8.

Terry Burnham is most-famous for a role as a 10-year old on the Twilight Zone. At 22, she essentially disappeared from public view. She died from a heart attack in 2013. With no next-of-kin, the Los Angeles county morgue would hold her cremated remains for 3 years at which time if no one claimed her, she would be buried in a common county cemetery. In 2015, a friend, with access to such medical records, notified the Twilight Zone Museum about Terry's status. A posting was made on the TZ Facebook page about raising funds for a marker, a fan claimed her ashes (for $350) while looking for a burial spot (notified by the cemetery the plot was already arranged) and she was buried on her birthday in 2018. Canon 70D, ISO 100, 1/125, f6.7, Tokina 10-17 @ 10.

Former Lakers owner Jerry Buss got some team colors after their recent championship. He might have been a family man but he had a lot of girlfriends. Canon 70D, ISO 100, 1/90, f8, Tokina 10-17 @ 17.

Richard Monsour, known professionally as Dick Dale, was a left-handed rock guitarist who is credited with creating the surf music phenomenon in the early 60s. He also helped JBL develop amp/speaker equipment. His instrumental "Misirlou" (1962) is a surf-rock version of an old Middle Eastern folk song and was featured in the movie, Pulp Fiction. Canon 70D, ISO 100, 1/4, f3.5, Tokina 10-17 @ 10.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-22-2021 at 12:42 AM.
01-03-2021, 01:56 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a really inspiring thread.

<starts rifling through my photos>
01-03-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #42
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Your set of images shows the value of such a high level of discipline and commitment. They are notable for excellent composition. Special mention of the horse jumping - the low angle makes it and well done capturing it with MF.
Thanks. I started the project to learn to understand the differences between lenses on the same series. I had already about half of the lenses and most of the better one's, so it was easy to fill the gaps. I learned so much during the process that it was definitely worth the time and money invested. It was also fun. SIC is actually great way to improve composition skills. Especially when shooting with prime lens. When you can't go with obvious choice you have to start looking for something less obvious solution to get the job done.

In my opinion MF is the only way to go for a shot like that horse jumping. You know in advance the exact location of best action, so prefocus and burst while horse goes thru. No point to give AF a chance to spoil results. K1ii framerate is bit too slow thought. Occasionally you see that best frame would've been between two shots. 6 or 7 per second would be enough. Luckily this one hit the right spot
01-03-2021, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoy shooting wildlife, flower and nature but the local birding areas were closed and the wife was concerned about visiting the parks too often due to the corona19 pandemic.
Let's just call 2020 a flower year Then your #2 shot is at the very top of my favorite images of the year!

The "ordinary" wildlife and landscapes are far from ordinary, I think. They are all very good indeed. My particular favourites are the storm rolling by, the squirrel and the lightning bolt - they would be top ten in any year. It must have been very exciting to capture the lightning, even though a 10 second exposure shows you planned for it - plans don't always come off, so it's great when they do.
You're too kind, Des Regarding the planning part... that wasn't much more than remembering to grab the camera, two lenses and the tripod when I saw the magical light through the window. When I had set the tripod down halfway under a tree on the golf course I realised that I didn't even have some paper tissues with me to wipe raindrops off the front lens - I did so with my shirt in between shots, moving the camera a little and ruining the composition in the process

The work you put into the creation of your panoramas really pays off, they are always spectacular, as are the photos of the Australian animals. I always enjoy looking at your work.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm guessing old sportscars don't really drive that well, but it may be part of the charm.
Really cool shot, I love it!
01-03-2021, 06:10 AM - 11 Likes   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My 10... mostly form Kangaroo Island and the Flinders Ranges..... six with the DFA 150-450, two with K 50/1.2 and one each with the 31 @ 77. Generally, we were able to move around within our state (South Australia) so I went camping a few times. My favourite is the dead Kangaroo.... go figure.... some how this one resonates with me (land was in drought at the time). Mostly K1 images (KP ones tagged).

KP

KP

Oops... did 10 in one post.. bad noel!

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-03-2021 at 04:35 PM.
01-03-2021, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

The irrigation pond is clearly a great environmental success, given the wildlife it supports. I hope the works on it go well - would be good if it were possible to do them in stages or something to preserve habitat while they are carried out.
I know the company that will be doing the work. They are very responsible so I hope they will do their best to minimize the impacts. (fingers crossed)

---------- Post added 01-03-21 at 10:02 AM ----------

Wonderful wildlife work! That poor frog keeps getting it. Beautiful scene of the Assateague ponies. Amazing catch of the acrobatic tern, action and light.
Thanks for the kind comments. The shore birds provide a lot of entertainment and a lot of photographic challenges. They were a great diversion during the early lockdown stages.